How to turn "Shatter" into diamonds/sauce/distillate/anything I can sell?

sooo… you’re doing YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

and you don’t have the fancy tools @pdxcanna was looking at building here… YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude - #155 by pdxcanna

so you follow @Waxplug1’s lead and spin in canning jars. eg: Tricks of the trade - #1142 by Waxplug1

it works!

unless it doesn’t.

in which case you’ve either lost your shit, or you’ve make what the folks I play with these days call “shatter” (maybe both) :shushing_face:

nobody wants shatter.
so what the hell are you gonna do?

redissolving it all in butane and running it over a 3d filter such as bentonite is one option.

for the HTE, perhaps low temp distillation to get the terps, then ramp the temps to get the cannabinoids.

the THCA could be redissolved (pentane/hexane/heptane) then water washed. not that glass is water soluble, but it sinks, so you can run what doesn’t dissolve out the bottom of your sep funnel. (drop the glass, THEN drops rocks @AlexSiegel style)

if your “shatter” was distillate already, Kugelrohrs are awesome!

anyone else got any better suggestions on How to Turn Shatter Into Diamonds or Sauce ?

surely some of you jar heads have found your way out of this one. care share your journey?

13 Likes

Other than melting the shatter in butane for a redissolve…and maybe running it through a light crc if needed… This was easiest way I’ve done it…jar it once its dissolved all together

Also I’ve talked a few ppl through taking HTE then slowly melting the thca into the hte, then jarring it on heat and got diamonds. They insisted we couldn’t use solvents only hte…but it worked also

1 Like

There are a couple of ways to force nucleation when working with a shatter. Giving it some heat (not enough to decarb) can cause nucleation and turn it into a waxy sugar. From there just separate your terps from the thca crystals that have formed and recrystallize the thca crystals to make your diamonds. Give your sauce a little time to crash out in case there is any remaining thca and then add it to your diamonds.

You can also use pentane to force nucleation in a shatter. Haven’t done it in a while but I believe you can even do it without having to fully redissolve the shatter

3 Likes

I’m working with broken glass… :shushing_face:

My bad :joy: I follow now haha. Guess that’s what I get for skimming

2 Likes

yeah, title was parody, but the problem is real and I’m certain I’m not alone making “shatter” this way these days.

Although I made our first batch, I let the boss have a go at it a couple of times before I got serious about it :rofl:

In this case the thca looks like it remained uncontaminated (inside what is left of the jar insert), but that’s not a risk we are willing to take.

As the “basket” above destroyed the jar when it failed, the HTE was full of glass…

Sure, the easy answer is “filter it”, but how fine a filter is “fine enough”?

Which is why the phase change and water wash options were suggested.

Edit: for the record, this was exceeding the recommended “1500 rpm”.

1 Like

I know that if you dissolve shit in pentane you can chill it then Buchner it. Then evaporate a bit and crystallize…(or a hochstrom filer or other pressure filter)

2 Likes

That sucks. I would redissolve all the THCa in pentane and then run through a Büchner funnel as @_joe suggested. I’m sure a slow to medium qualitative paper would filter out any glass shards. For the HTE I would redissolve in butane and run it over a 5 micron sintered disc with no media if you want it to come out similar to how it was before the broken glass

4 Likes

I broke a jar and my hash has glass in it. What should I do?

Maybe there is a membrane for that?

@MagisterChemist?
@Kingofthekush420?

3 Likes

I’m a little confused. Your only issue is that you have a bunch of broken glass mixed with your oil?

2 Likes

Yes sir. Sorry that was deliberate.

I’ve got a number solutions, and was really just trying to organize the cutlery for the sake of others by prompting a discussion amongst those that have made the new “shatter”.

There are also a number of suggestions here: Distillate Jar Broken In Transit but not all are appropriate if trying to maintain the qualities of the extracts usually involved in these sort of mishaps. Mayhaps.

Going back into my extraction/appropriate solvent and performing nano-filtration seems to negate any “there might still be glass” arguments, but you’re right I don’t have that capability, and any one else finding themselves in this position at the moment is also unlikely to have access to such weaponry.

2 Likes

If u dissolved in butane and ran through ur filter stack…hmmmm…maybe crush the glass super fine first then dissolve in tane , decant as much as u can off and then add it to tank somehow and push through the filter stack…ur prefilters should catch everything but then the tank will need a cleaning and probably the lines

2 Likes

Absolutely. Except for the whole making glass dust thing…already did a pretty good job on that at least on the run shown.

If the answer is filtration, the question is “to what depth”

1 Like

A centrifuge is obviously the answer. Something that is designed for solid-liquid separation.

A disc stack type should do the trick.

2 Likes

Catch 22. It is also the problem (reason for glass in said extract). Some time at the fabricator’s should fix that, though.

The problem is insufficient centrifuges. The solution is BIGGER and MORE centrifuges.

3 Likes

With a @cyclopath, more fuges is never out of the question. It’s actually expected.

1 Like

That’s how I broke the big one…

4 Likes

Pyrex wool

Put some pyrex wool on it? Follow that with some gochemtek.com quicksand DE and a sintered disk at 5 micron and finally a .22 micron from gochemtek.com as well

3 Likes

I’d be super afraid of any sorta filtering but as long as the oil is all dabbed it should be fine.

If it’s not 100% going to be dabbed. Then I would filter and distill it all. I’d have to imagine glass can be broken down into molecules as small as sand.

1 Like