Distillate Jar Broken In Transit

Ethanol wash
Filter thru buchner and celite to stop all fine glass.
Rotovap to recover etoh
Run in spd

This is how it should be done if you want to salvage anything.

If NOT, send to me. I’ll send back 30% of the return and keep 70% for myself for all the work.

8 Likes

lol thanks

Note: i am not sure how much of a pain in the ass the hand crank buchner kits are. I have never used one. this may be insanely labor intensive, but i imagine it shouldn’t be horrible https://www.amazon.com/United-Scientific-Supplies-FLTKIT-Filtering/dp/B01MT3QS0P/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=buchner+funnel+kit&qid=1590682460&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Whatman-1004-185-Qualitative-Filter-Diameter/dp/B00NG2E1Z4/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=18.5+cm+filter+paper&qid=1590682661&s=industrial&sr=1-7

https://www.amazon.com/Still-Spirits-Turbo-Air/dp/B00BWUJKHG

I cannot see a reason SPD is needed nor a rotovap. If i am wrong on this, someone please correct me.

There will be some losses potentially to thermal degradation but I cannot imagine you are gonna have a massive conversion to CBN from the longer residence time.

2 Likes

So this is obviously an Easter that probably paid quite a bit for this dist and has not much more than a hot plate and a filler. Maybe if you got it up to 90c and then very quickly poured it through a VERY fine metal screen it would help. I would even preheat the screen and keep a heat gun pointed in the direction of the pour. Not promising it would work… but maybe.

As for the question of morality. It’s iffy. Of course I would say that it all depends on what surface it fell to. But if anyone here thinks that they haven’t smoked floor weed then you are indeed high… maybe on floor weed.

4 Likes

id be concerned about finer particles than a fine metal screen would catch

1 Like

Would be a problem if this was intended to be eaten or used topically, but if smoking, wouldn’t the glass shards remain in the bucket or the cart?

Not saying you should sell this as is without disclosing what happened and how it was handled fyi

7 Likes

It was sealed in mylar, so nothing else except glass

Would a micron bag work better?

Thank you for leveling with my situation.

Profits aside, i am not interested in providing less than safe distillate to anyone. If im not willing to smoke it, then i won’t expect anyone else to in the name of profit.

2 Likes

like a small micron rosin bag for making solvent less isolate? i am not sure how that would work in practice to filter that much volume

Scaled down, would it filter out glass properly?

You wont remove all of the residual ethanol with out distillation. Try it yourself and send away the tests. Ive spent tons of time on hot plates, vac ovens, etc trying to get the etoh down to acceptable PPM for children with epilepsy that were super sensitive to etoh (pretty much any detectable alcohol gave them a seizure)

In my experience with removing etoh its just not gonna happen using means like that, you have to distill.

Edit: Im talking days on a hot plate way above the boiling point of etoh and tons of time in a vac oven running the pump the whole time at pretty hot temps. It just sticks around and is very hard to actually remove once you’ve used it.

3 Likes

Thank you for this information.

What are you throughts on straining this distillate through a, lets say 1 micron bag? Would that efficiently get the glass particles out?

fair enough, i stand corrected

1 Like

I would go the metal screen and heat route and see how it goes. That’s a shitty situation man.

Why a metal screen over a micron bag? Just curious

a metal screen will not catch the small particles.

I would really suggest letting someone with equipment and experience to handle this. Maybe the person you bought it from can help. Where are you located?

1 Like

In the past i have pushed un-dilluted distillate through a buchner using heat. I would probably vac bag the whole thing and throw it in a pot of hot water. Let the distillate got hot enough to flow, then dump into your filtering apparatus (micron bag, buchner, etc) and continue to heat it with a heat gun until its gone through the filter. You’re obviously gunna want some heat and cut resistant gloves to do this with a micron bag

Midwest.

I was surprised to not see anything on the forum about this problem. I wanted to know if the extractors on here had a nifty method for when this happens, but if completely rerunning it is the only solution, then this website has one more piece of information for other noobies like myself. Really appreciate the input!

4 Likes