How to Turn Shatter Into Diamonds or Sauce

So I have 14 grams of this blue dream shatter and wanted to know how I would go about turning that into sauce or diamonds. I see a lot of people use the jar method to make diamonds from rosin and I was curious if an immersion circulator would do the trick with a closed jar submerged beneath the water, and if so how long I should expect it to take for diamonds to form.

1 Like

Doesnt work that way. You need to redissolve shatter in a solvent then jar it

5 Likes

chances are with the shatter you have, a good amount of terpenes have been removed. Terpenes are a big part of crystallization, without them you will have less luck of getting anything to crash out. You could try adding solvent to the mix but without the terps it will be much harder to get to your desired outcome

7 Likes

On that note, if you had HTE to spare you could redissolve your shatter with said HTE and butane, cap it off and cross your fingers.

3 Likes

redissolve in HOT pentane
let cool slowly to room temp
put in freezer
visit later for crystallization

your yields will be lower than you’d like- it’s easier with less purged/aged input.

12 Likes

didn’t think of using pentane and temp cycling, good advice there if you’re just looking for some crystals at the end

3 Likes

Why is it that is has to be mixed with a solvent still? Also will ethanol work in place of butane, hexane, or pentane? I have 200 proof ethanol from extractohol.

1 Like

The main goal is crystals, but I also still want it to be enjoyable. I don’t necessarily require larger diamonds, tbh I’d be happy with sauce or sugar wax out of this. To an extent this interest is more for the learning experience of converting concentrates.

1 Like

look up the basics of crystallization, it always involves a solvent and precipitating the crystals out of the solvent using evaporation and/or temperature cycles. If you want diamonds from shatter without any additional inputs, it’s not going to happen. You could leave it in a jar for a while and it might nucleate and turn into sugar, but that’s as close as you will get without introducing any solvents.

6 Likes

needs to be redissolved with solvent as it has formed a crystal structure in becoming ‘shatter’. if you heat to melt this is will decarb.

short answer is no the ethanol will not work like you wish.

pentane or butane are your best bet.
use a pressure rated vessel and warm redissolve.
dwell dewax if your ‘shatter’ is bendy.
run through crc if you wish.
put in freezer and wait for your blooms.

3 Likes

Correct me if I’m wrong (because I don’t do diamond extractions), but isn’t a large part of crystal formation due to high THCA content? From what I understand, it’s the THCA that is crystallizing, not THC. High THC content tends to be a stable oil such as distillate. If the shatter was from cured and decarbed trim then crystallization will NOT occur even if you re-dissolve in a solvent to supersaturation and try to grow.

5 Likes

this is correct, however most shatters are still pretty high in THCA, so it could be possible given the right solvents. If it was decarbed, chances are it wouldn’t be shatter consistency still.

11 Likes

it was definitely not decarbed. Packaging says 74%thca percentage

2 Likes

Redissolve snd do the hot jar tek

5 Likes

But does it have to be god damn butane? That shits nasty

You must be smoking stuff with high ppm levels.

1 Like

No it isn’t nasty, that’s your perception of it. It’s a clean gas that if removed properly will not negatively impact your smoking experience. With only 14g to work with, if I were you I’d just stop and not even waste the time and effort and money it will take to do anything with that oil bro. Do you have a vacuum oven? Or even a vacuum pump? To safely remove whatever solvent you use? It just feels like you’re about to ruin perfectly good shatter going down a rabbit hole over 14grams.

29 Likes

What about redissolving in pentane?

Bho is tasteless and odorless. Back in the day my wooks would be dabbin goop straight out the pot! It’s not nasty, just gotta purge right.

6 Likes

Will Only Decarb if you go above 140 degrees I personaly wouldn’t take it above 100 … put your shatter in a Jar and Cap. The terpens have def been dissolved tho so you will never get Actual diamond but you will be able to turn that shatter into a much better Sugar Wax . I just did this with 7 gram of Shitty Shatter. Turned it into a very NICE sugar. it brings out the remaining Terps and starts to smell so much better Try er out

2 Likes