3 Stage Winterization:
- Warm crude to 30c
- Fully dissolve crude in 190 proof ethanol 10:1 (1L crude : 10L etoh)
- Allow mixture to cool to room temperature
- Filter over a silica slurry bed in a filter funnel
- Cool solution to 0c
- Repeat step 4
- Take a representative sample of the solution and add dry ice until the solution stops bubbling
- Repeat step 4 with sample
- If more solids are filtered out in step 8, repeat steps 7 and 8 with entire solution.
- If no solids were present in step 8, or after step 9, proceed to next process
Now you have two choices.
If pursuing a single pass end result, or do not wish to process your distillate between first and second passes, adsorbent scrubbing the crude while still in the ethanol solution is appropriate.
If the situation allows it, adsorbent scrubbing post first pass distillation, in an alkane solution is more effective.
Pre-First Pass Adsorbent Scrubbing:
- In a well ventilated area or fume hood, heat alcohol/oleoresin suspension to 80c (Just above the boiling point of ethanol and isopropanol).
- Measure 5% of total material volume in CBleach and slowly add to boiling suspension. (1000g oleoresin : 50g CBleach)
- Stir for 10-15 minutes while maintaining a minimum of 60C temperature.
- Allow solution to cool to approximately 40c and filter through silica over filter funnel
- Repeat steps 1-4, 2 to 3 times depending on color remediation necessary.
(Note, coarse grade carbon can replace CBleach for the first scrub if multiple scrubs are performed)
Degumming would be appropriate before first pass as well, but I will post an article on that later.