Advice for a Newbie on equipment for first time / learning extraction.

What country are u in if your comfortable answering

Hi @Slabby im from Mexico two hours from the US border… i know its not completly legal here but its going to be soon, of course “regulated” if our government can but i dont think so

@Roguelab, @Slabby @clouds, as i investigate more on the subject im stuck with the final product so let me ask you guys something, i think its going to be something stupid but ill take my chances…

By watching videos I’ve seen that the final product of extraction its the concentrated oil do it by Co2 or by Butane, but i also see that some people makes Dabs or some Shatter by vacuum so as i understood to crate CBD i should distillate the final product after extrication rigth, i been a lil bit discouraged by this doubts but i really want to find a way… could you please give some wisdom for this little padawan lol

the vacuum step is the final stage after your extraction to remove any solvent that is trapped in your oil.

By nature when the oil thickens it becomes harder and your solvent will have a harder time leaving the oil. For this reason we use a vacuum pump and chamber or oven that is heated to aide in the purging process.

If you don’t vac purge your extraction it will be full of solvent and not very pleasant to vape.

There are many ways to vac purge, and each method will generally produce a different type of consistency as the outcome.

What is your final goal for the outcome and what is your starting material? Those 2 variables can help us point you in the right direction to achieve what you’re looking for

1 Like

Hi @clouds thanks for the response, so its mandatory a vacuum oven? What other ways are to vac purge solvents? And if so, whats the next step after vacuum to make oil? i principally want to make my own cbd for my family and some friends and in some time also learn to make my own vape juice… my starting material would be hemp home grown and also buds
As i said watching some tutorials and videos they just finish in the vacuum oven or just extracting the oil and thats it, i couldn’t find yet besides ethanol evaporation and adding coconut oil to the hemp oil another way to make some tincture

You can go old school and get a vacuum chamber. You cant purge as much as accuarte but was industry standard at one point.
Google bvv vac chamber.
You blast it, vac it (purge it), if its good enough you smoke it.
Genearlly people put distillate in vapes ao id recommend getting a short path eventually

1 Like

a vacuum chamber is a lot cheaper than a vac oven like @Slabby mentioned. I use a vac chamber since my runs are all for personal use. As he stated too, you’ll probably want to go down the distillation route if you want to put it into vapes.

If you were running THC material you could crash out the majority of the THCA and then put the rest in vapes, that works well but doesn’t work for CBD dominant material. I don’t deal with CBD personally so I’m not too familiar with other methods of producing vapable oil without a short path system.

I know some folks on here decarb their extract and then put that in vapes, but again that’s in the THC world. You may run into problems there though with CBD, I’m not very familiar with those processes.

1 Like

Thank you @Slabby i already google it and know that i will go with a vacuum chamber insted of an oven… first i want to do cbd and then look further for vape concentrates… again thank you i was very thoughtful about the extra cost of an oven but a vacuum chamber would do for me

1 Like

Make sure to just get a bigger chamber since thats what you want. The price difference is negligible

1 Like

Thank you @clouds i really want to go into vapes in the future and i want THC in those :laughing: but in CBD i want it with almost nothing of THC full spectrum or isolate but i understand that achieving this would be difficult as my goal its not make business, from because of this i don’t want or need to achieve the product legal specifications, besides even if i do it wont matter because here its no legal yet… i just want the purest possible outcome that my extractor and vaccum chamber and quality raw material can achieve, i just dont want to consume pesticides or ethanol or butane… but im missig that step that once you have your extracted oil you need to purge it and the i suppose i would need to mixe it with coconut or olive oil but im not sure if that its the final step

If your going to put into vapes i would distill it via spd.
Extract>purge>winterize>short path distillation>vape cart

1 Like

Thanks @Slabby, i heard a lot of this term “winterize” but i really dont know what it means… im fimiliar with English vocabulary but some words/slangs i find them difficult from time to time… its the same as vacuum?

winterizing is a process where in most cases you use a secondary solvent, like ethanol, and then drop the temp significantly and let the fats fall out of the solution. It’s then filtered and you’re left with a more pure extract to distill.

One tip if you’re unsure of some slang terms and want to find a definition, try doing a google search with the term and BHO at the end (like “winterizing BHO”)… You’ll likely find some information to get you in the right direction when you have no clue on where to start looking, or just come in here and ask us and we’ll point you in the right direction.

There’s a lot of good info in this forum on it too if you want to do some more reading on it

1 Like

Oh i understand now @clouds thank you ill sure look on to it, im learning a lot from you guys and this forum, i want to know everything related to a better decision making at the time of purchasing my equipment… i guess im stil need to figuring out the final step for the CBD process which is the one that im more interested about

1 Like

If you want a step by step walkthrough and consult i can gladly help. Theres alot too learn and of your new tgis will he the most cost effective route vs trial and error

2 Likes

@Slabby thank you,

It would help me a lot and i being told that in order to make CBD i can only make it by ethanol and boiling procedures i dont know the correct technical word yet, if so i wouldn’t need an extractor right? First i want to know what exactly do i need, and i have in my mind CBD First then vape liquid

This is a picture of our 1LB starter kit. I would be happy to help you learn the ropes. Pick-up is available in so-cal.

2 Likes

Hi @Meezey i cant see the picture would you attach it again please

Sorry, I was actually referring to the photo in the original post.

1 Like

Ill dm you in a bit