SPD vaper getting Through the trap

Please feel free to continue asking questions. You’ve got the best in the biz on your side. Don’t let us discourage you. We’re in fact trying to do the opposite.

5 Likes

Wife used to be an ER trauma nurse…

Jesus the stories…

2 Likes

Dude, ethanol/iso is not in issue. Hundreds of others in Canada use ISO and do not have the issue. Your problem is in the process or equipment.

1 Like

So… you never got explicit on your winterization.

EXACTLY what are you doing. Temps, times, purity of iso.

Explain your process to my 20yr old. If you tell him to use iso 10:1 to filter and winterize, he’s gonna filter before freezing.

There is a graph posted upthread that shows both why ethanol is better for winterization than iso, and the difference between iso with or without water.

There is also a link to that same graph in context, explaining its relevance if it’s not immediately apparent.

5 Likes

OK well What I do is mix it 10 to 1 iso currently then I filter and I put it in the deep freeze abot 48 hours I do not have a expensive deep freeze however.
Take it out of the freezer agitated aggressively pour it in my Etoh Pro and run it. A couple times it will distil right down to a thicker consistency almost past like, but most of the time it will only take it down half way and stop. That leaves me with a thick liquid that stinks like alcohol and this is my biggest issue I just literally started guys so I understand I have only run this system for five times…

1 Like

Yep just as I thought

Backwards! Freeze then filter.

See: Winterization

Have you set your toe pro on purge?

Dial in picture is not at 11

6 Likes

Good! This is why we do things in excessive detail! It’s seems you’ve inverted some steps and are not actually filtering the fat out

6 Likes

More than just inverting steps, the vigorous agitation is bringing the lipids back into solution, and no amount of filtering will remove them once reintegrated.

That winterization thread will help you immensely @Royboy0330, and less cold in one’s freezer doesn’t mean it won’t work, just means it’ll take a bit more time. Reducing the ratio to 7:1 or 5:1 could also help a bit.

5 Likes

99% or 91%?

Which will drop the fats better?!?

99% ISO I shake it vigourously because in the ETOH pro they told me I have to using iso.

To me this sounds like your recovery device is deciding you’re done when the head temp exceeds the BP of ethanol.

I don’t know anything about the device you’re using other than it’s very name makes my skin crawl.

It could almost certainly be trained to behave otherwise, but that might require surgery. I can’t bring myself to rtfm in this case, but you might give their tech support line a call and see if they can’t get it operational (as they claimed it would work).

Edit: or are you just not turning that dial up to 11 (purge)?

2 Likes

That’s for extracting with it.

Add biomass/solvent, shake.

Not before solvent recovery.

And certainly not before the filtration you were supposed to do between the freezer and your recovery device in your winterization protocol.

91% should be cheaper, and picks up/holds onto less fats. Least that’s my interpretation of the graph upthread.

4 Likes

Nope. Fed with premade tincture.

Not sure why they told you to shake it…

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/56055e75e4b075ee2efcb729/t/5cf955026dc0610001e0e38e/1559844170471/User+Manual_EtOH.V1.pdf

They claim it doesn’t shut itself off…

2 Likes

ExtractCraft has a group on FB called ExtractCraft Users. If you go on there you might get help faster in regards to your machine, and it’s operational functions.

1 Like

Finally had the time to calm down and read your original response I’m sorry I should’ve done that yesterday very very good information to be honest it’s a little over my head but I’m going to study at all.

2 Likes

Here is a basic order of operations for you. There are some ways to improve this process but I think this is a good start and is easy to understand.

Butane extract
Dissolve in alcohol 10:1
Freeze
Filter while frozen to 1 micron
Repeat freeze filter process
Let solution warm up to room temp
Add to your still or etoh pro for recovery of alcohol

Slowly Devolatize your crude oil in spd or hotplate to 120 c
Slowly Bring up to 150 c in spd to remove just about all terpenes

First pass
Second pass

3 Likes

I feel it’s important for op to realize the importance of more dry ice in the cold trap, ie all the way up in both traps and the that changing to acetone allows the temp to drop to -80c. And that dry ice needs to be filled continuously through out the run unless you want vac fluctuations. After doing all of the things mentioned here you shouldn’t have any problems. Also try and use the gas ballast on the pump when running the solvent before mains, that should help push it anything getting past the traps to get out of the pump.

2 Likes

OK this may be a stupid question but acetone I have read you can use ISO or ethanol is that true? I did a run today just fine-tuning it after I change the oil and open the ballast to number two it still didn’t go very well. I had the cold traps filled to the brim with dry ice and I was adding alcohol to it the whole time. I know I need to buy a vacuum regulator but I don’t have it yet. As soon as I fired it up it just started pulling fluids and filled up all my flask but now finally I think I’m down to the actual crude I hope I was starting to think I had a crack in my condenser head there was so much fluid flying out of there.
But I just spent the last couple of days reading everybody’s articles on SPD so I can learn more

1 Like

It sounds like you are just nowhere close to recovering all your solvent before loading the SPD. Just open the valve to your pump slowly and throttle it by hand until you get the solvent out if you have to. It’s tedious but it sounds like that EtOH Pro isn’t doing you any favors

4 Likes

You are correct sir I’ve been reading a lot about it being “locked out” whatever that means. But I can tell you this the Ito pro would take nothing more out of it so now I have the other half of the batch sitting in purge mode . but there is a ton of ISO in there. Pricing out a Roto vap

1 Like