Wiped film and SPD yields discussion (CBD OR THC)

Nah no time these days

Even though it sounds like it’s costing you time?

1 Like

Anyone saying SPD makes more potent oil than WF please stop. How the crude is treated affects your final product.

My process reliably puts out >99% TAC oil on a wiped film that is just about as clear as I want it to be. I have found absolutely water clear THC to want to oxidize very readily. Leaving a tiny bit of color seems to mitigate this.

7 Likes

Question, when you say first pass does that include a devolitization pass or literally put the oil in the machine once and it’s done?

Runnin’ 50k lb per day with the hemp boiiiiiiiiis…don’t care 'bout quality just farmer Joe has a million pounds of boof to run 'fore next year and by God we’re gonna do it.

3 Likes

Throw a booster pump and watch that sod pour distillate off the back end.

I’m new to the game, and am getting good results with my SPD currently. I have been looking at WFD’s and their throughput looks insane. I have engineers/fabricators on standby because I don’t have the money/refuse to pay the green tax on the units I see out on the market. If’n a man were to design and build even a small WFD unit, does anyone have a ballpark figure of what one might cost to stand up in house? Obviously I’m gonna need a lot more experience to do this. Was just looking for some napkin numbers to help me out.

1 Like

There are some good deals on here use the search bar

First pass SPD Terp Strip → Wiper is the way to go.

1 Like

I do batch devolatolizing outside the machine in a reactor.

4 Likes

I run 2 wiper passes.
1st rough then winterize, scrub.
2nd polish run.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification.

So your devolling but not terp stripping. So you devol in reactor and then in 1 Pass your able to run hot enough to terp strip to your cold trap so it doesn’t dilute tour distillate and hot enough to get good yield without running it again and not too hot to get good color ? Interesting

Devolatilizing is terp stripping. Decarb and devol are typically both performed in the same step (at least when I’m performing that trick). Reactors are great for this application.

6 Likes

I consider terpenes to be volatiles. I don’t get 100% of them out but i try my best!

3 Likes

Monoterpenes are highly volatile. It’s the heavier, worse smelling terps (and other scent producing compounds) that tend to be left after devol in a reactor, oven, or distillation rig. Sesquiterpenes and tri-terpenes smell godawful and are much harder to remove.

What kind of reactor are you running @MagisterChemist? Glass or have you upgraded to stainless?

1 Like

So I always considered devol is fullly decarbed and essentially there is no additional reaction under heat or vacuum meaning any and all gasses and reactants have been removed. But heavy terpenes cannot be separated in a reactor. But I mean if y’all can by all means take my money immediately

I use a stainless reactor. Maybe i can’t get all the heavies out but i can definitely get enough out to skip any need for stripping passes. In 5 years of running wiped film i have never included strip passes in my SOP.

9 Likes

Whats winterize, scrub?

Use the search feature.

Winterize and scrub are both well used terms around here.

Scrub doesn’t appear to be in the The Glossary / Ideas and chat

3 Likes