Wiped film and SPD yields discussion (CBD OR THC)

So was talking about this with friends thought I’d throw it up here.

For CBD on SPD we are getting 60-70% yields first pass and 80-90% yields on 2nd pass.

That’s running around 180-195C in mains depending on material.

For our wiper (it’s only been going for 2 weeks so still dialing it in)

We are getting 50-60% yields overall at finished distillate.

That’s on either of our methods.

Both terp stripping at 155 hot passing at 195 and then final passing at 175

And then straight hot passing at 185-195 slowly and then final passing at 165-175 slower then other method speed dependent on temp and how pressed we are for time Over yield.

I dislike our wiper a lot but I didn’t get to choose it.

What are y’all seeing on both SPD and wiper? (Let’s say crude average is 60% typically for these examples)

Secondly what are y’all doing for your wiper? This is a 12 inch and supposedly does 20 LPH but at that speed the color isn’t acceptable to me and yields suck.

So slowing down to 12-15LPH.

But are y’all just terp stripping at 155 and then 1 more pass at 165-175 and getting good color with 60-70% total yields?

Or doing a hot pass at 180-195 and then the cleanup pass at 165-175

Or doing the 3 passes like I described above?

4 Likes

Curious when you talk about yields, are you talking about weight in:weight out or cannabinoids in: cannabinoids out? For the former is imagine starting material is highly dependent. For the latter… I hope you’re doing better than 60% out lol

Is your wiped film 2 stages, or every pass requires rerunning?

Weight in weight out. Could also calculate cannabanoids in cannabanoids out but when I don’t always know potency it’s easier to just measure weight which obviously is imperfect as it could be 10 kilos of 85% disti or 20 kilos of 60% disti

1 Like

Single stage… again not my choice sadly

Why not hire @Kingofthekush420 to help you dial it in?

Then have @Rowan run the sop.

9 Likes

not a big enough parking lot probably

10 Likes

Are these weight yields or calculated yields of cannabinoids?

@Kingofthekush420 doesn’t actually know how to run a wiped film

4 Likes

This verified consultant scuffle would be more fun in the livechat: https://future4200.com/t/future4200-live-chat/

(And would keep this thread clean)

6 Likes

Yep. Seems like your questioning is based on comparing yield on the SPD to yield on the wiper; I’d take a couple of “indicative” data points and see if you’re hitting higher potency and or with worse feedstock on the wiper. Wish I had data to share but I avoid distillation like the plague

3 Likes

Not comparing one to the other. asking people what their seeing on each. Comparing yield on our SPD to other spds and wipers to wipers.

Either or weight or cannabanoid yield

Spd alwAys makes more potent shiz

2 Likes

Wipers pull a wide body of fractions. Spd pushes a narrower bandwidth of vapors and therefore can really dial in.

6 Likes

I’ve found somewhere around 70% weight in—weight out.

It might be more tedious to do straight cannabinoid yield…but it’s the only way to get an accurate gauge of your yields.

3 Likes

Cant really disagree with this. I’d just say that short-path is a “dynamic” process in the sense that the composition of your vapor/liquid stream transforms from the beginning to the end of the run.

Wipers are static, if you feed them the same material, at the same parameters they will output the same thing. And it definitely is harder to maintain your distillate fraction in that perfect bandwidth of cannabinoids only, on a wiper.

12 Likes

In my experience wipers had been able to make more potent and prettier shit cause their more controllable but then I hear people boating about making 98-99% shit out of wipers so Idk

2 Likes

? Is there a typo here? Saying wipers can make prettier oil is pretty compatible with saying they make more potent oil.

1 Like

Color does not equal potency

Also, from a process prospective the BIG advantage the wiper has is continuous throughput. If you don’t have the resources to have it pumping out disty for multiple shifts in a row, you’re not utilizing that advantage and the numbers start looking comparable to an SPD.

I will say that the wiper does seem more “wasteful” in terms of mass yields but you can recover a large portion of cannabinoids in your residue stream by running it through again. We would typically save up residue and rerun a big batch of it when we didn’t have fresh crude to run. Again, if you can’t take advantage of the continuous throughput capabilities then this will probably not be worthwhile.

2 Likes

But i didn’t say color equals potency. I said it is compatible. I.e., possible to have both good potency and good color.

1 Like