Second time running SPD (unsuccessfully)

When starting it back up, with the crude being rock solid, can we just jump to like 160? Or does it still have a chance to bump even though volatiles are pulled? I was thinking hit it to 160, it’ll probably overshoot to 200? we shut down around 202°C so assuming it should start back up once we hit that temp and vac stabilizes the thermal energy?

If water or moisture vapors don’t get in sure, just don’t ramp fast. Do in steps. That’s becusee at room temp the band will glow red until it gets to temp and can cause damage to some mantles.

1 Like

Awesome brotha thank you will ramp up nice and slow.

Well guys thought I would post an update!

Just did a run yesterday and here’s first pass results!

Huge thank you again to everyone who contributed to this thread!!!

14 Likes

Good work

1 Like

thats way too long to pump down you want to be at 100 micron or less ideally. My 10l SPD would reach 100 micron in under five minutes with an edwards 28. You’ve definitely got some leaking issues. Check that the oil ballast screw on your pump is screwed all the way down. common beginner mistake.

2 Likes

Hes good now.

1 Like

Looks great. :+1:

1 Like

Dont forget to vac seal the jar. Find a jar with as little head space as possible also

Great work!

2 Likes

Are you referring to the gas ballast?

I was yes, my mistake. Long day at the office yesterday.

1 Like

Back at it again boys!

Slowly dialing this process in

3 Likes

Plugged up the boiling flask thermometer joint and stuck the mantle thermometer between flask and mantle as I saw a few people suggesting in another thread.

Tried out the hot alcohol spray on a few joints to look for leaks as @spdking suggested and that helped a lot thanks bro

Also, we got rid of those stupid plastic fittings that screw onto the cold trap and cow and forced the silicon tube over the glass threads.

All of these things helped get our vac waaaaay down so I highly suggest all of these tricks to anyone having issues with leaks!

8 Likes

Hey @Backyard_Boy , what connection did you use to adapt your 12CFM pump to KF-25? I’m pretty sure I have the same pump, looking to switch over to stainless steel connectors.

2 Likes

So I actually bought the pump from Xtractor Depot in LA and it already had a KF-25 fitting attached to it…

Check with @Killa12345 he may have a kf25 to male 1/2” pipe thread which I believe is the size for that pump (I could be wrong so double check the threading on yours)

As I understand you open it up and it essentially opens a small leak to the system which allows volatile contaminants to off gas from the oil.

I’d wager that the stall in the freezer is doing nothing for you other than wasting time.

you need to reduce your initial solvent volume in order for winterization to be effective. especially if your freezer is warmer than your extraction.

see: Winterization

Does it is distillate?

Yesss

2 Likes

Your 230 temp prbly killed the magnet. The green magnet spin bars can take higher temp