It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more

Have you heard?

It is possible to get damn near perfect crude at -20°C in ethanol. No winterization required, little to no chlorophyll or other gunk that makes your life hard.

I saw this:

Here:

@CollectiveObjective is 100% correct. Reducing your opex in a commodities market is mandatory, not optional. Otherwise you get crushed.

It reminded me that I’ve been planning on making a post on this topic for a while now. So here it is.

@MagisterChemist managed to produce this with a spray wash based system at -20°C.
That’s 500ml of crude.

Colour and clarity aren’t everything. But they sure are a pretty good indicator that you’re not looking at COMPLETE garbage.

This picture from patent US20190046998 should give you a pretty good idea of the overall concept.

The key piece of this is flowing a LOT of solvent over the biomass as fast as possible. Starting at 8 LPM per kg of biomass in the basket sure wouldn’t hurt anyone. More is better.

More is also better for RPM. ← Be careful with this one. Please.
There is a LOT of energy in a spinning centrifuge.
It’s just waiting to be released into your body if you’re not careful.

On that heartwarming note, I shall return you to your regularly scheduled Wednesday evening.

34 Likes

trust me kids, don’t try this in a panda (ask me how I know)…

27 Likes

I was just envisioning this in a panda when i read your comment. Lololol.

4 Likes

I wanted to thank @Lincoln20XX for teaching me the CORRECT way to run a centrifuge more than a year ago.

Another picture of crude prepared with this method, and only -20 chilling:

27 Likes

they DO NOT like it when you turn the fire hose up…although if you tie them down and increase flow slowly you might manage.

they are waaaay too susceptible to unbalanced loads.

4 Likes

How do you know?

1 Like

Lol, for real. I haven’t used a panda in years. The 15 gal fuge we had last would have worked perfectly. I was still just doing 5 min soaks which yielded transparent end product. It’s all in what you pull out of the spd in the end that matters.

1 Like

:rofl: :joy: :rofl:

that is @Lincoln20XX’s full size prototype fuge I’m sitting in…I also got to play with the smaller prototype, and was supposed to gather that -20 data for him. Unfortunately the huber which was supposed to provide said -20 had other ideas, so I collected data at 0-5C using a window AC hack instead.

Edit: yep, @MagisterChemist did that in a CUP 15 I believe.

9 Likes

So we’re back to qwiso lol.

8 Likes

But with the efficiency and scalability of the centrifuge. I’m going to be running this method on a 200 lb batch fuge soon… Excited to see the results of that.

14 Likes

It pissed glycol all over the floor when I tried to convince it to be a chiller again yesterday.

I hit it with a wrench. I think that should have fixed the issue.

19 Likes

That’s sounds like an improvement; It was ARCing to said puddle when I last interacted with it.

Edit: although if I’m honest the puddle was probably from me routing it out of the system rather than it actively trying to kill me by pissing in the floor then arcing :woozy_face:

9 Likes

In this case Qwet

5 Likes

Are you using some kind of spray nozzle or manifold to distribute EtOH or is it just being pumped back in to the top of the centrifuge?

see (C5) 1k word substitute up thread…

3 Likes

Is that how you have the ACE40 set up? Or is this a custom design?

1 Like

this is how I would run an Ace30 or Ace40, and is how I ran the Ace15.

the pump I was using with the Ace15 was a nominal 8GPM (see: Cold ethanol pumps) methanol fuel pump. I really needed at least 3x that flow rate.

with “hemp” as input, I wasn’t seeing anything as pretty as @MagisterChemist is achieving, even at -40C, in the Ace15.

I was expecting great results at -20, but @MagisterChemist knocked it out of the park on this one!

5 Likes

Here’s one implementation i made in an ACE:

Thing that help get results like i posted – fast spinning, fast pumping (i recommend pumps be sized to provide at least 1 gpm per lb), 190 works better than denatured, well preserved biomass (doesn’t need to be potent, but ideally less than a year old and free of any mold or unusual oxidation).

8 Likes

One implementation has two spray systems.

The first is a bank of a dozen nozzles spaced evenly on four separate spray bars. This one is for the primary washing with your recirculated solvent

The second is a big ol’ pipe with a whole bunch of holes in it. This one is for a final flushing wash with virgin solvent.

This virgin wash step increases your yields. I know our in-house analytics suggested we were getting >99% extraction of cannabinoids into the solvent with the wash/rinse methodology. I believe without the virgin wash the best we saw was something like 92-93% but I don’t have that number on hand.

The above can also be done by having your recirc+virgin solvents plumbed into a tee and you just manually switch it with valves.

9 Likes

You guys are AMAZING!!! I’m truly humbled to be ALL of YOUR company! You all have taught me so much without even knowing that you were doing it… Thanks for being righteous!!!

11 Likes