Correct pump for rotovap?

we get that you’re new here. trying to HELP.

you were not making it easy.

you did not. the ONLY posts you have made are in THIS thread.

you might want to read them again…I don’t see ANY that were not relevant to your initial post. I agree you’re not ready for adding a vfd to your pump, but it is absolutely relevant to not sucking too hard on your rotovap (which causes solvent to get past your condenser and to the pump).

THAT is correct pump choice…

NO IT HASN’T.

no modifications are necessary to achieve that. you’ve also been told what can happen with a pump that refuses to spit the liqour out…

a cold trap will solve it. Edit: plus a controlled leak

you got that right…but it is more appropriate than using the em30

if you’re giving up on your rotovap and want help with a -80, you might want to start a NEW thread.

1 Like

I may not be the sharpest tool in the box but for what it’s worth… If you have sufficient “condenser area” and sufficient cooling capacity then what you are describing is the product of pulling too deep a vacuum on your system which does not let your vapor condense (if you pull a deep enough vacuum your solvent will stay as a vapor even at room temperature) and thus you are spitting out hot solvent from the exhaust of your vacuum pump (which by the way is a nice pump). If I may suggest adding a decent vacuum (pressure) controller to your system, it may solve most of your problems (when used correctly).

2 Likes

that sounds like the same irrelevant comment others have made…

@Rhyan1986; seriously, you may not have understood the “vac controller” or “pump on a VFD” comments, but folks are legitimately trying to help you here.

We do however require your participation.

2 Likes

No. I was using the Edwards on the ethonal bath system. It’s a thermo fisher model ult2090-10-d.

Thank you for the response. That was very helpful

This is the smartest thing anyone has said so far on this thread. Run. Don’t walk.

2 Likes

It’s probably the most appropriate…although I wager many who tried to help could in fact make the parts on hand perform the required magic.

I’ve got to admit I was also under the impression that the edwards was on a Rotovap, and am with you on

Resolving to an ultra low freezer.

Which @Rhyan1986 has twice told us is an ethanol bath.

So my understanding of the story is clearly incomplete.

Even though I’ve read through this more than once.

The best guess I have is someone has put an extraction tank inside a thermo freezer, and told them it’s the “ethanol bath”.

That’s still a pretty useful trick at a certain point in ones game….even though they don’t really have the required cooling power.

There is at least one model that will take a 55gal drum.

The only other reasonable hypothesis is that thermo also make an ultrasonic bath, and they’re running ethanol in there against the manufacturers advice as @vortal notes is fairly common in some sectors.

Which just makes”run!” that much more relevant

1 Like

This is the machine I am working with. I am sorry if it seems as if I am unresponsive, as I was trained on all of this very minimally and have been asked to figure it out myself, so I am a little bit overwhelmed with a lot of this information. So far what I have came to is that when the agilent dry scroll pulp gets back from the shop I’m gonna hook a cold trap in front of the pump. Then try to figure out why solvent is even getting back to the pump. I really wish I could talk to someone in a private message instead of a thread. Thank you all for your time.

1 Like

those 1k word substitutes works wonders…

That is a capna ethos 4

Which IS essentially a solvent tank in a freezer.

Not a particularly useful piece of kit.

if it’s what you’ve got, it’s what you’ve got.

Generally that’s pay to play.

See:Search results for 'Capna' - Future4200

If it’s out in the open, potentially dozens will learn from it…which also means that essentially all the information you need is just lying around here waiting for you to dig it out.

5 Likes

Go back to the top of the thread and start again. It’s all there.

Understanding this chart will help

…and control your vacuum level using one of the methods suggested up thread.

3 Likes

Now you know what it IS, you can rtfm.
(The all gnowing one says It’s posted here as a pdf…)

I also suggest you consider it a cold bucket, and wrap your head around: Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

After reading that thread, go back to the top and follow some of the links below the first post.

You should be able to find everything you need to figure this out just laying around here….

Eg: I bet that the first fine manual you need to read can be found by searching for “capna manual”.

2 Likes

Ethos manual https://future4200.com/uploads/short-url/kpivJwcRTvee4gLShxkFLKrsRNR.pdf

Because it’s an interesting read…

…and an absolutely horrible implementation of Bucket Tek (Cold Ethanol Extraction on a Budget)

2 Likes

…and an absolutely horrible implementation
:joy::joy::joy::joy: good grief not a fan I suppose :joy::joy:

1 Like

Did you read it?

Gives new meaning to “valve jockey”!!

…and technically it’s actually an abysmal implementation of Bucket Tek Upgrade

2 Likes

Thank you so much. This was very useful. Now I have the manufacturer sop, which is not the same as what was given to me.

2 Likes

@cyclopath is being coy. Start a chat and find out how much for a few hours of phone support over a few weeks.

@StoneD do you know anything about a capna?
@Photon_noir I’ll bet you know a thing or two about those units.

1 Like

I believe @Rhyan1986 has decided that walking away from this is the best course of action…

Can’t say I blame them.

2 Likes

He says that . . . but then, he’s still asking.

1 Like

Pondering how to solve this. Don’t recall exactly what’s under the hood.

Thinking that maybe replacing the extraction tank in the freezer with a panda modded for air drive (haskel?!?)…still in the freezer.

Then going the It washes the cannabis and then it washes the cannabis some more route.

I should probably leave poor @Rhyan1986 alone, or at least show them how to stop monitoring this thread :shushing_face:

Edit: 1k word substitute to that effect below

1 Like

Somehow I doubt this is still an issue after so long @Rhyan1986 , but if it is, as @Sidco_Cat said, I do know a thing or two. You can DM me.

2 Likes