Best extraction method with high yield

Hello everybody.

Currently I do extractions with a Rosin Press. But the yield (quantity obtained) is very low. Regarding the THC level of Rosin I do not know how much it is. But I think the THC concentration with a Rosin Press is also low.

I know that there are methods that offer high yields in terms of the amount of oil extracted but also in terms of THC concentration.

A few months ago I attendes an extraction demonstration by Rotovape (for the manifacture of medical grade oil). In Switzerland. The amount of oil obtained was very high. And this oil had a concentration of 82% THC. I know that after this extraction there is another procedure. In particular the mixture of oil rich in THC with oil rich in CBD. So it’s a blended medical grade oil.

So I want to use a New extraction method that gives a good yield in terms of oil produced and in terms of THC concentration.

But what do you think is the best method? Rotovape, BHO or Soxhlet? I have access to laboratory equipment so there are no problems for the equipment (except the BHO: this extraction method isn’t practiced in laboratory).

But during my studies I did not learn anything about the extraction and distillation of marijuana.

So I need the opinion of people more experienced in this type of extraction : which method offers the best yield performance: Rotovape, BHO or Soxlhet?

Thank you very much for your reviews and help.

PS: English is not my native language. Sorry if I made mistakes in some sentences or if some sentences are difficult to understand or if a sentence can have several interpretations or be misinterpreted

Have a nice day and a good weekend. To all of you!

1 Like

Extraction yield is not the only metric.

It is fairly trivial to get >=99% extraction yield from your biomass into your solvent, with most solvent systems.

The hard part is getting as much of that as possible into your finished product.

Generally, the higher your desired product purity is, the lower your yield will be.

70% yield to distillate is a pretty standard metric. I know many people who are happy with 60% yield to CBD isolate.

Some people like using cold ethanol.

It is effective, but is not all that efficient from a commercial perspective. At lab scale, that doesn’t matter very much.

Ethanol extraction and post-processing is also pretty well understood, so you should be able to find plenty of useful info about it here.

2 Likes

You went to a demonstration where they were doing the initial extraction in a Roto? Man we gotta get some proper education over to Europe…

Hot soxlhet will certainly extract all of the cannabinoids, along with every other undesirable on the plant. Might as well just stick with the flower.

Ethanol or gaseous hydrocarbons are your two best options.

Are you currently pressing flower in your rosin press? If yes, a secondary extract on that biomass with Ethanol will recover your missing yields. However, I suggest you stop squishing flower and start doing water hash extraction and pressing the yields from that instead.

5 Likes

Better yields require better material

You guys have garbaggio for biomass on that side of the pond. Anything good is smoked.

3 Likes

Just my personal opinion. Ln2 is a far more effective method for removing heads, with taking less time because of only needing one wash to having a better quality yield. And it’s not strain specific like water hash is.

3 Likes

What are you wanting your end product to be? Is it for vaping in pens. Or traditional concentrates and taking “dabs” to vaporize it. Edibles?

2 Likes

Well made rosin should have quite similar potency to most other primary extraction methods, but the yields on flower rosin are generally lousy. Collecting trichomes first and pressing those does a much better job.

What are your actual goals?
Is this a business plan?
An educational endeavor?

Your question has some crossover with many of the “I’m new to this, help?!?” threads….Eg:Noob looking for the best way to extract oil and resin and Noob Seeking Feedback on Low Budget Extraction Approach via Ethanol

And you should check out: Rosin press go brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr to get up to speed on squish.

Highly recommend the data dump, I suggest starting in the books section…

3 Likes

Stay the fu€&@? Away for I like this one eyed kingdom :joy::joy::joy:

13 Likes

If I was coming to Europe to teach, it would only be with your endorsement and with you on the team :pray::pray:

8 Likes

:pray: ready whenever you are :+1:

7 Likes

And if they need any solventless guys too… :wink:

6 Likes

excuse my stupidity.
but could some one tell me what does Ln2 stand for ?
thank you

Liquid nitrogen

2 Likes

thank you

Hmmm I have been contemplating on this answer for some time
Your in europe and I think the main question is : What can you SELl !!
I have been around for a while and 7 years ago capable of making loads of bho
Wasonly able to sell a fraqtion no market at the time
5 years ago distillate by the numbers again
Only able to sell a fraqtion
Times have changed and prices have dropped so some products have lost my interest in producing
But the rule still counts
Make what you can sell

8 Likes

If you’ve answered the question of what your end product goal is, I missed it. What do you hope to end up with?

Ostensibly, your highest yield is soxhleting, but you will also pick up the highest load of non-targeted elements using that process. Less with a non polar solvent like Pentane than with a polar solvent like alcohol.

I have never seen a rotovape used for extraction, only refinement. How did that work?

Safely setting up for subzero ethanol extraction is less expensive than hydrocarbon extraction. It also produces a different essential oil mixture that has less residual terpenes.

It is easier to retain more of the terpenes and flavonoids, while avoiding the polar elements like chlorophyll, using a subzero non-polar solvent with a lower boiling point and with which the solvent doesn’t form azeotropes and strip some away as it exits.

Butane and propane are typically used in those applications either individually or in mixtures. To use those safely and economically requires a closed loop system either well ventilated outdoors or in a NEMA 7, Class 1, Division one extraction booth with adequate ventilation.

Refining the essential oils as extracted and removing residual solvents is typically done under vacuum and is an example of where rotovapes are currently being used in concert with a short path distillation column.

What process works best for your application, depends heavily on what your application is, the volume you wish to process, and what your budget is.

5 Likes

Hello. Do you know where the CO2 extractor, the ultra-sonic extractor (recent invention: less than 10 years), and BHO extraction were invented? In France. Because after the wine grape harvest France had an enormous stock of grape seeds. Grapeseed oil was not exploited for a long time and seeds were burned. Until a French university invented Hexane extraction (70’s). With this new extraction method, grape seed oil could finally be extracted. And now, each year France produces hundreds of tonnes of it. This oil is especially useful for frying foods: This oil is inexpensive (5 times cheaper than first cold pressed olive oil), it contains no saturated fat, its chemical structure does not change even at high temperatures and it is rich in amino acids which are necessary for your brain.

You really thought that all these extraction methods had been invented in the USA in such a short time; just to extract oil from marijuana?

And I also answer questions from the various speakers:

• I don’t want to sell anything. This is just for me because I have a neuropathic disease.

• I would like to consume the product via Dabbing/Dabs.

• When I am outside the extract must to be mixed with the liquid from an e-cigarette. Dabbing outside is prohibited.

• Yes I have a Rosin Press. With a clamping pressure of 4 tons. But the result is not ideal. I feel like I’m losing at least 35% of the product.

• I have already tried cold washing with CO2 ice. But it produces “Hash” not oil. So it is not a liquid for Dabbing or e-cigarettes.

• I am a beginner in Marijuana extraction methods yes. Until now I have always used a Rosin press.

• On the other hand, I master the extraction of seeds and beans contents very well. I work in a laboratory 20% of the time. But Marijuana extraction was not taught at school.

Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

are you concerned with the flavor at all? or is high purity your goal?

1 Like

Wrong. No need to cut with anything to make a portable product.

EHO,CO2,BHO, & squish have all been documented here as working in carts after Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

I stumbled across my first attempt at that just yesterday.

Circa 2015

The cart hardware I had access to at the time wasn’t up to it…but this tek is now widely recognized as the fastest route to decent tasting carts.

Take that, and squish it….

Especially if you’ve already got the gear.

3 Likes