How do you Homogenize?

Afterhearing about the 6 entries in the Emerald Cup last year that tested negative for any cannabinoids, I have been thinking about homogenization.

Did you know that when you get a tablet that has a score mark on it, that means that the medicine is properly homogenized providing the exact dosage on either side of the score mark? Tablets that do not have a score mark are not certified as homogenized by the FDA and do not guarantee that an equal dosage is on either side of the score mark.

What about your edible products, tinctures, creams and beverage additives? How do you ensure that the first bit of that chocolate bar has the same dose that the last bite has?

6 Likes

No Cannabinoids? That’s fucking awesome!!

Last contest I was in, only 3 out of ~80 concentrates passed the pesticide AND residual solvent tests. Kinda felt cheated on that one. 1st outta three doesn’t feel like much of a win. :frowning:

Oregon makes us prove we got that shit down!
http://www.oregon.gov/oha/PH/DISEASESCONDITIONS/CHRONICDISEASE/MEDICALMARIJUANAPROGRAM/Documents/rules/333-007-0360-Exhibit-B-eff-05-31-17.pdf

At 8gal-15 gal of 33mg/ml THC in MCT in a beer keg, my SOP says a drill mounted mixer for at-least 2min. With MCT & concentrate at 35C. It should probably specify which speed & which drill.

Homogeneity looks pretty good. Both in-house and “Ask a Stranger” (3rd party).

First time we worked under camera we mixed the keg by kicking it back and forth across the lab for 15 min. Didn’t want to go on camera breaking my skull dancing on the keg as was SOP till that point :slight_smile:

Also rigged an exercise bike, a couple of inner-tubes, and a harbour freight furniture dolly to make a keg roller. It worked great, on both 15gal beer kegs, and 5gal corny kegs, but the first time I forgot to pressurize the corny keg, we got a 16ft greasy streak across the lab.

You could get it up to quite scary speeds. If you pedalled backwards the keg was capable of taking off across the lab if it derailed. Was planning on putting a freewheel on there to disable that feature.

I deliberately derailed it pedalling forwards just to check…and it did come around the bike after me. Minion looked pretty freaked, but started grinning once he realized it was all good. Might go back and fix it now that 4gal batches are off the table. Depends what else I have to try and squeeze into the lab once it’s done.

You got something you can sell me? :stuck_out_tongue:

other than the homogenizer listed here, which I purchased soon after @Graywolf sung it’s praises

6 Likes

So, I have dabbled in this quite a bit with some CBD companies I have consulted for. Its not always an easy task to homogenize edibles. Topicals are fairly easy with proper planning of your processing/nano-encapsulation methods. Some edibles use nano-encapsulation, which utilizes various (hopefully) organically sourced surfactants/encapsulants. Water soluble cannabis is actually pretty easy to make, but if you wanna use organic only surfactants, it gets a bit more tough. I despise Tween, a synthetic surfactant frequently used, but I’m also a geek lol.

Anyways, this is a very complex topic. Will see if I can get some more stuff posted later today or this weekend If I find some free time. I love making edible/topical formulations.

8 Likes

I saw a video of an ultrasonically powered immersion homogenizer that looked very cool

4 Likes

Nano-encapsulation is very helpful in homogenizing infused product batches, in addition to the more rapid onset and overall improved bioavailability.

Would love to get a thread started for this topic! I have a basic understanding of the process and have had success with simple formulations of water soluble cannabinoids. Would love to utilize only naturally sourced surfacants - Do you have any recommendations for naturally to replace tween 80? Excited to learn more from you!

2 Likes

I kinda had a topic that encompassed that. “co2 as a crystallization solvent” the info posted there was specifically about the different ways to make nanocrystalline or nano-encapsulated compounds. I got a bunch more stuff too

Partial molar volume reduction of solvent for solute crystallization using carbon dioxide as antisolvent.pdf (405.4 KB)

I’m wondering if you could provide some scientific proof that cannabinoid nano-emulsions have a more rapid onset and improved bioavailability than high shear homogenization? Every ultrasonic and high pressure homogenizer manufacture makes these claims, yet they can never back it up with scientific proof.

We are aware that nano emulsions in the pharmaceutical industry for certain applications have advantages over high shear homogenization and the efficacy is backed up with scientific evidence.

Ultra Sonic Homogenizers are expensive, have volume limitations, and zero evidence for efficacy vs. high shear for processing. We were contacted by a terpene manufacture who told us of their frustrations with a ultra sonic homogenizer; they were processing 20 liters a run. It takes over 3 hours to process and the device could only be run for 10 minutes and needed to cool for 15 minutes or it would overheat. With a high shear device 20 liters in processed in 5 minutes vs. 3 hours.

2 Likes

Here’s the cannbinoid potency analysis for the six entries at the emerald cup that had zero cannabinoids…

Emerlad Cup 2017.1.pdf (201.0 KB)
Emerald Cup 2017.2.pdf (193.9 KB)
Emerald Cup 2017.3.pdf (203.7 KB)
Emerald Cup 2017.4.pdf (186.5 KB)
Emerald Cup 2017.5.pdf (166.6 KB)
Emerald Cup 2017.6.pdf (179.3 KB)

2 Likes

It seems drinks are a issue. Is it possible that the cananbinoids have binded to the bottle? Further research is needed. A sample at the time of bottling, and before consumption is needed.

4 Likes

I actually wasn’t speaking to the efficacy of sonoication over high shear homogenization. It was more on using the right surfacants (emulsifiers) in formulations to allow for more even homogenization and better drug delivery.

I’ve found from personal consumption experience that water soluble cannabinoid blends have an onset time of 20 minutes compared to traditional edibles which generally take 40-60 minutes for onset.

There is also a different metabolic route for water soluble.

3 Likes

i posted a study about long chain triglycerides bypassing the majority of first pass metabolism due to being handled by the body completely differently

Hey, yes certain plastics will have the cannabinoids leach into them. Using an hdpe bottle is probably your best bet.

1 Like

My thoughts were more along the lines of the the coming out of solution and adhering to the inside of the bottle, most drinks I see are in a glass bottle.

The CAT X1740 Homogneizer can process up to 20 liters. It may be worth checking out.

X1740 Homogenizer Video

4 Likes

People say that if I can’t get the CAT model, at least get a cheap ebay one. Anyone got some links of some decent options that can process smaller batches of oil for karts?

1 Like

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F192486386806 here you are

That’s funny, seems Dremel makes Biospec homogenizers according to some other sites. I wonder if there are any dremel tip attachments that would work for this process?

Also, I really like the specificity of the technical specifications of Scilogex brand products, while Cat’s info leaves something to be desired.

I am looking at the Scilogex D160. SCILOGEX D160 Homogenizer, 0.1-250ml | Scilogex

1 Like

definitely worth going with CAT. The ones on ebay are for very small quantities, and CAT’s pricing really isnt that bad when compared.

1 Like

Hey @Cannachem

I’m interested in developing an edible similar to a protein bar (or possibly a brownie/cookie) and am wondering if homogenization is possible with this type of product?