CBD broad distillate MCT oil ?!

Get a big stir bar like 3" long and 1/2" diameter, it allows you to stir very viscous mixtures without the bar decoupling from the drive magnet. You could also use an immersion blender like a commercial restaurant uses to puree soups and sauces. Make sure you are within the temp range that the blender will handle.

I probably should have asked what your batch size was.

3 Likes

Batch is 205ml. 197.5ml MCT + 7.5ml Lecithin. (Seen around the net people suggest 15ml of Lecithin per cup of carrier).

I’ve been thinking about commercial grade (4000RPM+) immersion blender as startup. been looking on @CATScientific homogenizers but that’d be after mastering the formulation.

Much appreciated your time man !

1 Like

you could try a quick whiz in a ninja blender with the smoothie cup.

2 Likes

Been thinking about it too, have a NutriBullet PRO 900 and it claims 25000 RPM’s.

2 Likes

try it out?

2 Likes

that will be more than sufficient.

as @jval13 states, there is no requirement for an emulsifier to get cannabinoids into MCT.

that also means, there is no need to go overboard with the stirring. you’re not trying to create an emulsion. you’re just making sure your solution is homogeneous.

see How do you Homogenize?

OR makes us prove the we’ve achieved homogeneous.
it’s not hard with cannabinoids in MCT.

adding the lecithin may help with bioavaliablity (or as @Rockymtn24 states, with capsule integrity), but I don’t see it adding much in the way of “you must whip it!” to the equation.

that comes into play when you add water, and need to create an emulsion.

1 Like

I will, need a decimal scale for my extract precise reading.

@cyclopath Thanks for the intel, makes complete sense :clap:t2:

1 Like

if you don’t have good scale now is time to invest. I like ohaus , or sartorius.

1 Like

wow. Does powdered lecithin work as liquid lecithin in all applications? I use it mainly in corn syrup/disty(THC)/SF-lecithin(liquid, and also, a mf’er to handle as it’s a pain to clean as it hates water). I just made a silly predetermination long ago that the liquid in a liquid is just going to get a better mix when heated and such. Now that you say it though, why wouldn’t it as the entire point of it is that it evenly distributes itself evenly in a mixture…right?). If it does, thank you, you will have made my days much more pleasant.

1 Like

Also, I am using the AMAZON | HOMOGENIZER not a stir-bar. We will get a Cat here on a bit if need be once we scale a bit. just getting into the production of edibles here in OKC. very tired, sorry for the syntax and sentence structure of a B+ 3rd grader. Thanks again @Soxhlet

1 Like

Do you have a best technique for adding the distillate to a gummy recipe (Corn syrup, pectin, sugar, water, flavors, lecithin)? Usually go corn syrup/lecithin + heat then run it in a homogenizer. Thanks as always.

we used the powder exclusively for pills because it did not have any moisture.
Adding the lecithin slightly increases the bio availability. There are other surfactant/ emulsifier systems that are better for drink mixes, I think lecithin tastes gross.

Are you formulating pills?

Try Q- naturale
https://shop.ingredion.us/q-naturale-200v/
try these guys too

if your making edible or drinks these additives can increase uptake/ ensure a homogeneous product.

That was hands down the fastest response I have ever received on a forum and I have been a nerd, living on the internet, since I was 8, and am now 33. Bravo, truly. I am an edible processor in Oklahoma, and we do a good few things, but around here it’s gummies or bust. So primarily our gummies would be what I am using it in. Currently just doing a simple recipe of (Corn syrup, pectin, sugar, water, flavors (TFA/FA/FW), and lecithin)? Corn syrup + lecithin in a mason jar sitting in a water bath of ~190-200F. I then run it in a high-shear homogenizer at full tilt for ~4 minutes. Lecithin tastes terrible, I was wanting to use sunflower, but it’s so raunchy so I added a bitterblock from SuspendRx (it’s actually quite good) and I am using like 2-3ml per 700g or so of corn syrup, 6.5g 86% distillate. I am a logic-driven, science-minded person, and would love any insight you may have as to any part of the process. Thank you again.

2 Likes

That is a pretty good product, most emulsifiers taste pretty gross so masking them is a good option.

seems like a solid method, that hot water bath really lets you get some working time with making gummys.

you might experiment with some different surfactants. Another approach would be shearing the oil/ surfactant/corn syrup together into a liposomal emulsion. then make your recipe with the infused syrup and stir it like you normally do with the homoginizer in the bath.

if you can decrease the particle size you will end up unseeing less of the surfactants thus less taste to mask.

2 Likes

Thank you, that is all very helpful. I lost the thread here, or am I just screwing the terms up? I am currently bringing the corn syrup, suspend-rx BB, and lecithin (3ml. sufficient?) in a mason jar, sitting in water to the level of the corn syrup in the mason jar on an induction cook-top set to 200F until the mixture reaches a thinner consistency. Bring that jar over to the high-shear homogenizer and running it for ~ 4 minutes and then pretty much I am putting that right into the recipe and starting a batch with no sit time to physically separate much, if any. Is the surfactant you are referring to the suspendrx then?

1 Like

you can use that as well, the other two above I listed also work.
experiment with some better tasting stuff, see if you can minimize the amount needed.
your emulation dosent have to be long term stable like a drink because it will be locked into place by the gel set of the gelatin.

try doing it before you mix everything and heat it, then you can mix the crap out of it.

I love the consistency of these gummys, great chew.

1 Like

I apologize, I just popped all the links into new tabs and was going to give them a proper looking at and didn’t even cursory glance. all the surfactants info was in the linked data. I will read it all. Thank you again, it’s very kind of you.

2 Likes

no problemo, If you have any more questions feel free to post them.

2 Likes

me? nope. I rely on the kitchen witchery of others.

see: Search results for 'gummy recipe' - Future4200

I don’t believe you want much MCT in your gummies.
I can’t recall if any was acceptable. not my kitchen.
formulated in MCT and EtOH for them.

2 Likes