CBD broad distillate MCT oil ?!

Hi there everybody,

Rookie here looking forward on formulating a precise compound mix of MCT + Lecithin + 94% broad spectrum CBD distillate (post-added terps & pretty crystallized). I want to achieve 50-52mg of CBD per .8ml of carrier.

Currently doing 195ml MCT + 15ml Lecithin. 210ml carrier. Using 14000mg of broad spec CBD distillate.

14000mg/210ml = 66.666mg/ml x .94%CBD = 62.666mgCBD/ml

62.666mgCBD/ml * .8ml = 50.132mgCBD per 0.8ml dosage.

Am I right on this math ??

So far my SOP would read like:

Heating up my MCT at 55C, incorporating the magnetic stirrer when reached desired temp and setting RPM to 500. When vortex is created, add the 15ml of lecithin along with CBD distillate and … ???

1. How long I need to infuse this for ? For a tincture can be up to 1-4hrs along different resources.
  2. When should I start my emulsification (stirring) ? For how long ?

Thanks ahead,
:pray:t2:

Mr. J

1 Like

Is there a specific reason you are using lecithin?
Cannabinoids are lipophilic and will dissolve in MCT without the need for an emulsifying agent.

And it actually takes little heat to dissolve cannabinoids in MCT with proper agitation.

I usually heat the cannabinoids to melting point, add carrier oil, and let stir for 45 minutes - 2 hours on low to medium heat.

And your numbers are correct

3 Likes

I had to use lecithin in a two part capsule to keep the solution from leaking.

2 Likes

Surfactant agent plus faster uptake along with better shelf stability. In capsules H2o is not an option at all. I was doubtful on my temp, been seing melting point is 62-66C.

Are we good here @Soxhlet ?

correct, you can decarb the oil at the same time you blend with mct to drive off the residual h20 that could make the capsules blister.

lecithin from sunflower is good for this

ascorbic acid( vitimin c) will give you a longer shelf life as well.
The best way to store the capsules is in a refrigerator, they must be in an airtight package with a moisture absorber. Other wise condensation from going from cold to warm can also kill the pills.

When I would decarb and mix with mct I would go as high as 140c.
make sure to mix the powdered lecithin when it is below 100c so you don’t fry it.

Is organic liquid Sunflower lecithin. Just curiosity, why to 140C ? Disty is crystallized because of the 94.4% purity.

Thanks for all the intel, much appreciated. Sharing results when done!
:clap:t2:

usually to decarb, we used crude bho. It also serves the purpose of driving any h20 off as steam.

I see you, Im using 94.51% THC remediated Broad Spectrum CBD distillate along with liquid lecithin.

Any suggestion on stirring RPM’s ? I can reach 1000 on the hot plate. Looking later on high shear emulsification but this for now.

Get a big stir bar like 3" long and 1/2" diameter, it allows you to stir very viscous mixtures without the bar decoupling from the drive magnet. You could also use an immersion blender like a commercial restaurant uses to puree soups and sauces. Make sure you are within the temp range that the blender will handle.

I probably should have asked what your batch size was.

3 Likes

Batch is 205ml. 197.5ml MCT + 7.5ml Lecithin. (Seen around the net people suggest 15ml of Lecithin per cup of carrier).

I’ve been thinking about commercial grade (4000RPM+) immersion blender as startup. been looking on @CATScientific homogenizers but that’d be after mastering the formulation.

Much appreciated your time man !

1 Like

you could try a quick whiz in a ninja blender with the smoothie cup.

2 Likes

Been thinking about it too, have a NutriBullet PRO 900 and it claims 25000 RPM’s.

2 Likes

try it out?

2 Likes

that will be more than sufficient.

as @jval13 states, there is no requirement for an emulsifier to get cannabinoids into MCT.

that also means, there is no need to go overboard with the stirring. you’re not trying to create an emulsion. you’re just making sure your solution is homogeneous.

see How do you Homogenize?

OR makes us prove the we’ve achieved homogeneous.
it’s not hard with cannabinoids in MCT.

adding the lecithin may help with bioavaliablity (or as @Rockymtn24 states, with capsule integrity), but I don’t see it adding much in the way of “you must whip it!” to the equation.

that comes into play when you add water, and need to create an emulsion.

1 Like

I will, need a decimal scale for my extract precise reading.

@cyclopath Thanks for the intel, makes complete sense :clap:t2:

1 Like

if you don’t have good scale now is time to invest. I like ohaus , or sartorius.

1 Like

wow. Does powdered lecithin work as liquid lecithin in all applications? I use it mainly in corn syrup/disty(THC)/SF-lecithin(liquid, and also, a mf’er to handle as it’s a pain to clean as it hates water). I just made a silly predetermination long ago that the liquid in a liquid is just going to get a better mix when heated and such. Now that you say it though, why wouldn’t it as the entire point of it is that it evenly distributes itself evenly in a mixture…right?). If it does, thank you, you will have made my days much more pleasant.

1 Like

Also, I am using the AMAZON | HOMOGENIZER not a stir-bar. We will get a Cat here on a bit if need be once we scale a bit. just getting into the production of edibles here in OKC. very tired, sorry for the syntax and sentence structure of a B+ 3rd grader. Thanks again @Soxhlet

1 Like

Do you have a best technique for adding the distillate to a gummy recipe (Corn syrup, pectin, sugar, water, flavors, lecithin)? Usually go corn syrup/lecithin + heat then run it in a homogenizer. Thanks as always.

we used the powder exclusively for pills because it did not have any moisture.
Adding the lecithin slightly increases the bio availability. There are other surfactant/ emulsifier systems that are better for drink mixes, I think lecithin tastes gross.

Are you formulating pills?