Homogenizer for 40L / 10 Gal batches of Distillate MCT mixture (66/33)

Looking for suggestions on brands or units for this project I am working on. We will be homogenizing at 212F

Currently the plan is to use a Cat Scientific x1740 with the DK30 attachment and a 50 liter jug custom modified similar to this
image1020012 (1)

I am seeing some other options like the machine pictured below by Silverson, although more expensive the design less complicated. Plop the head in the heated mixture and rip
https://www.silverson.com/us/products/pilot-scale-batch-mixers/

Open to any ideas or suggestions

4 Likes

I know this is a serious post, but the second I saw that thing connected to a barrel I knew there’s a use for infusing alcohol or mushroom tea.

Thank you for the picture, wish I were more mature.

5 Likes

We have a toption chinese unit.

it does the job and easily disassembles so post process clean up is a breeze.

also have a little benchtop emulsifier as well. these little things are great for R&D’ing small batches

3 Likes

That thing looks awesome, how much did it run you?

A simple barrel roller should also do the job.
Fill barrel using a scale. Then close, tilt, and roll.

1 Like

You could homogenize alot of MCT and distillate with a gyroscopic paint mixer for like $5k.

4 Likes

I have a 1740 dk30 on deck barley used… let me know.
Used Mct and other oils for tinctures. Things a beast.

Bonus points if you roll the barrel using a stationary bicycle…just push the front wheel against the barrel.

See: How do you Homogenize?

2 Likes

Indeed. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Perhaps a man-sized hamster wheel would allow higher RPMs.

IME there is more of an effect from the high shear processing than simply mixing the two together

Placebo?

1 Like

Maybe. We certainly passed Oregon’s homogeneity tests with flying colors.

In the case of MCT you should be looking at a simple solution, so I don’t believe you need the high shear at all.

Haven’t explored very far down that rabbit hole.

3 Likes

It may make it faster.
But to be honest bottle rolling for not more than 20 minutes works perfect for me. And it is way more convenient when juggling between small volumes and various compositions.

Still I haven’t experimented above 5 l volumes.
Higher volumes may just need more time.

2 Likes

Maybe. We certainly passed Oregon’s homogeneity tests with flying colors.

@cyclopath
What was their allowed variance? 10%?

Here is one homogenized I think this was a 10L batch
924459a638795fc19ca6718d748c754c
f50a329cf9346d16e57f04b21151c000

Here was another

Do we need to contact Ed Begley Jr about his blender bike?
https://archive.nytimes.com/dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/riding-with-ed-an-actor-devoted-to-the-green-life/

1 Like

I believe bar was set at 10%, I no longer recall where we scored, and don’t have access to the data at this point.

10% should be trivial to hit. 1% requires the third party lab to document their variance correctly as well (ours did, very sad they’re no longer in the game).

I was homogenizing 10+ gal batches in kegs.

Rolling worked great, as did the drill mounted stainless paint mixer.

1 Like

Sounds like we need a field trial of 300mg homogenized vs 300mg mixed with a butter knife

4 Likes

i think my bosses paid 11 k for everything shown. this was back in 2019 i believe