Infusing food sugar with bho/oil

No I’m not aiming at soda, would prefer just water and a compound. More of a drink additive with way higher than normal potency.
Garage tech means all I have is an inaccurate purge methods for the solvent added.(to hot and no hood or condensor) . I too am avoiding eth because of personal reasons.the batches are 10-28g. Because a bottle of some good food grade spirit is $25 in dtla so $ is not the issue. (Lol except when a lab grade tool worth prob 1-5k is needed of course).

This is for myself, not for any state or anything like that.
I’m the cook distributor and consumer lol.

So I can use a blender, ok I may even have that brand at home too👍

it gets you homogeneous sugar and BHO made with out alcohol. which is what you initially asked for.

I’m not convinced it gets you a repeatable soda.

drop the sugar in the soda, and the BHO floats to the top and sticks to the side on the way out.

for personal use, the losses might be repeatable enough that it will get the job done.

MCT+ Maltodextrin gives an easy dosing powder that you can stir into whatever. but it doesn’t keep the cannabinoids from separating out in a water based delivery method, but I don’t mind seeing the cannabinoids on my coffee.

Cyclodextrins will give you even dispersion in a soda. but you’re gonna want to use ethanol to get your cannabinoids in there imo. (never tried).

2 Likes

MCT and Maltodextrin.per @KSlabs no need for the sugar.

Or cyclodextrins and alcohol (1 cup for 28g?!?) for better/faster uptake. a cup of high test should be relatively safe to evaporate at rm temp with a fan.

2 Likes

The Oster blender will give you as much as 60% cannabinoid potency deviation throughout the batch processed, and does not enable particle reduction for uniform cannabinoid potency. To the naked eye it may look homogeneous, I assure you it is not!

We can prove via cannibinoid potency deviation analysis an immersion blender, mixer, Oster Blender,etc., 60% cannabinoid potency deviation per batch processed vs.high shear homogenizer, 1%-1.5% cannabinoid potency deviation.

4 Likes

@CATScientific Yep. I’m recommending Oster & a mason jar as a inexpensive and relatively effective solution for personal use. not production. or entering into a competition… How do you Homogenize?

Did so based on original poster’s stated constraints.
Even then it’s not the right solution for their actual goal imo.

For commercial scale, a homogenizer is the right tool. You can tell by the name… :wink:

I’m surprised you’ve got a customer that is simply homogenizing sugar and BHO for this purpose. As they wouldn’t reveal actual process, they may be doing something slightly different.

Given that this discussion is going to be read by folks with goals/situations different from the OP, I completely agree that the right tools to ensure homogeneity need to be front and center.

Having a 4oz,6oz,8oz,12oz,16oz and 32oz enclosed grinder is a big help when grinding biomass on a small scale (in house analytics, or proof of concept experiments).

They even work as mini-cryoethanol reactors on a per patient basis. pair with a french press, and a mason jar based still for full points.

I used to use this method to make a tissue slurry for mycelium propagation. It’s great because you can autoclave the blender jar and base all assembled with water inside. Just pop the jar open in front of a laminar flow hood and make your agar transfer, then whiz it up!

3 Likes

For clarification purposes… My original suggestion of a foodprocesor, I had in mind a Quesinart with the blade. A manual/garage style way to get around @CATScientific observation of uninform cannabiniod dispersion would be as followes: After using the food processors to get too 60% uniform cannabinod dispersion. One could Tami it or Sieve the mixture. A few passes thru a sieve would do the trick. Remember freezing everything, mixture and tools and working in a low moisture environment is best.

1 Like

i have heard of people using beta hydroxypropyl, but I also seem to recall it working better for CBD than THC (but dont quote me). Obviously I bow before the superior experience and wisdom of shadownaught.

sounds like we need a homogeneity challenge :slight_smile:

My GC is still down from the (presumed) kief injection, but @farmerj is setting one up, and could probably use some practice.

1 Like

With the leftovers in the sieve would you reblend and sieve untill fully blended? to finish homoginization?

What micron sieve would you recommend? As small as possible?

Yes I’d re-use till I finished the product… and I’d go w the finest food service seive… their not rated in microns but they could be called a “Chinio” pronounced Shinwa. Usually the come in course medium and fine… if you can’t find one, your local army surplus store usually has gold panning equipt. The next too finesest grain seive their would work as well. Just be shur to seive several times too create a uniform distribution of thc.

would evaporating Isopropanol instead work for you?

No it doesn’t, still alcohol

Perhaps it was infused into melted sugar like candy, then milled into smaller peices?

1 Like

then MCT or olive oil and maltodextrin would be my recommendation.

decarbing your ground sugar and extract mixture after grinding seems more error prone than decarbing before mixing (where you have CO2 bubbles for feedback). mixing sugar directly with decarbed extract was a fail.

using Iso as a liquidizer seems to have been a win.

just a spoon full of sugar, 100mg goes down…in my coffee for the day

1 Like

@Ljohnso16 for the record: as would be expected, dissolving a teaspoon of “CBD infused sugar
into an 8oz glass of water resulted in at least 1/2 of the cannabinoids stuck to the sides of the glass.

I might repeat the experiment later with a teaspoon of the THC infused version so I can actually quantify that a little more accurately, but I really don’t see the utility of this approach. Unless you’re using it for baking.

Maltodextrin as a carrier will have similar issues, although if you’ve used MCT or other oil as a liquidizer, you might get more floating on top, and less stuck to the sides.

I use cannabinoids in MCT in my coffee. they float, and stick to the sides, but when you have an endless supply and a known tolerance, it’s a workable solution.

If you want to add your “infused sugar” to an aqueous solution, and still deliver a metered dose, then cyclodextrins are your friend.

I don’t believe you can get the cannabinoids into the cyclodextrins without solvent.

if you’ve got religious objections to solvents, I recommend just swallowing the infused maltodextrin.

1 Like

Lozo and an anon mentioned a method to mix the cyclodexterin, thc and mct with a blender and a sieve, what’s your opinion on that? Or still not uniform enough?

It is about how the cyclodextrins work…you need to get the cannabinods in, not on. one cannabinod molecule to one cyclodextrin molecule.

You might manage that with 4:1 MCT to cannabinods, but the voices in my head suggest you’ll just get a sticky mess.

The outside is hydrophillic, the inside is hydrophobic. Without the correct solvent (eg alcohol) you’re not going to have joy imo.

my reading of @Lozo’s comments did not include cyclodextrins in the mix. only sugar and bho per your request. pretty sure anon was Lozo too.

I’m all for freedom of religion, and support your quest for a repeatable delivery vehicle for your daily phytocannabinods that doesn’t include alcohol in the production. I destroyed 2g of extract and 1/2 cup of sugar in your honor, and even took the production description to another thread because it used the religiously proscribed solvent. :slight_smile:

I just don’t know that infused sugar in water is the solution you’re looking for.

Cannabinods in MCT in a dropper bottle seems like way less hassle.
going the extra mile and loading gelatin capsules with a measured dose might even be more convenient.

Edit: looks like I’m wrong on the ethanol requirement. see if you can make heads or tails of this https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejps.2004.06.002 they “knead” their molecule of choice in there. according to the abstract.

Edit: their “kneading machine” is rather hi-tech. not sure how to replicate it at home.

if you’ve got all the other parts, the lowest speed on the blender might work.
I’d call “stir” more vicious than “knead”. You’ll also have to air dry…

2 Likes

The only thing I can see this cannabinoid infused sugar being useful for, is baking.

Turns out I made just enough to swap into my bread machine mix.

Who thinks the 600mg or so of CBD in there is going to be problematic for the yeast?