Homogenization: Uniform Cannabinoid Potency in Solutions

A majority of processors assume that because cannabiniods and terpenes are miscible in some solutions; MCT Oil, coconut oil, olive oil, distillate and terpenes, etc . mixing the constituents with a Hotplate Stirrer, immersion blender or an overhead stirrer, uniform cannabinoid potency within the batch happens automatically, no hot spots. This is not the case!

We worked with a lollipop processor in Oregon who kept failing the 15% cannabinoid potency deviation for the batches he was processing. His potency deviation analysis was showing 60%. The processor was using an overhead stirrer and got these results. We suggested he use a homogenizer in order to get uniform cannabinoid potency for each batch processed. When he employed the homogenizer to emulsify the constituents, the cannabinoid potency deviation analysis for each batch 1% - 1.5%, meaning every lollipop had the same THC potency. From a 2.5 liter emulsified batch of Lollies with the CAT X1740 Homogenizer, 240 lollipops produced, 13 lollipops were randomly selected for the cannabinoid potency deviation analysis, 1%-1.5%, January 30, 2018.

This illustration shows how a homogenizer achieves uniform cannabinoid potency. The same applies for processors blending terpenes in distillate, uniform distribution of terpenes throughout the distillate.
https://www.catscientific.com/

19 Likes

Here’s the cannabinoid potency analysis for the Lollipops processed with an overhead stirrer. Four lollipops were randomly selected from the batch for cannabinoid potency deviation analysis, 60% Potency deviation…
Cannalysis 1A.pdf (161.7 KB)
Cannalysis 2A.pdf (161.7 KB)
Cannalysis 3A.pdf (161.7 KB)
Cannalysis 4A.pdf (161.7 KB)

5 Likes

Here’s the cannabinoid potency deviation analysis for the 2.5 liter batch of lollipops processed with the CAT X1740 homogenizer for 5 minutes. The 2.5 liter batch produced 240 lollipops, 13 lollipops were randomly selected for the potency deviation analysis, 1%-1.5%, January 30, 2018
Cannalysis_G8A0274-01.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-02.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-03.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-04.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-05.pdf (147 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-06.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-07.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-08.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-09.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-10.pdf (147.2 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-11.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-12.pdf (147.0 KB)
Cannalysis_G8A0274-13.pdf (147.0 KB)

https://www.catscientific.com/homogenizer-drives/

5 Likes

Great post! We see a very similar trend with infused gummy candy especially if it’s made with CBD isolate. Lots of variance definitely more than the 10% allowed by CA.

Homogenization is key for success in infused products. Your processors look like a good option. I also think using a water soluble formulation can help with homogeneity (and bioavailability) in gummy confections.

3 Likes

Could one maybe use an Immersion Blender and get decent results?

1 Like

Strong results!!! I’ve always wanted one of these ever since GW spoke about them in the early days.

Unfortunately, you won’t get the same results with an immersion Blender, which is basically just a mixer. The Rotor-Stator on the Generator Shaft is where the emulsion takes place and are engineered specifically for this purpose.

Generator Shaft

G20%20Generator
Generator: Rotor & Stator

20mm%20Stator
Stator

20mm%20F%20Rotor
Rotor

6 Likes

I am looking to mix cannabis oil into edibles made of fruit and sugar. I assume a homogenizer is the suggested way to do it. Also, should I be mixing it with something else before putting it into the fruit?

I would emulsify the cannabis oil (extract) in a carrier oil, then mix it in with the other constituents. It may be wise to perform some sample runs before processing large volumes.

When emulsifying the cannabis oil (extract) in the carrier oil, 110 degrees F.

5 Likes

And remember that 190proof is flammable if you use this critter to make a tincture from your extracts…

1 Like

you can find homogenizers with a brushless motor that should be safer to use with flammable solutions

So you would put the homogenizer in distillate? the stuff is so viscous I have trouble imagining how well that would work, but I am interested

1 Like

Cat Scientific homogenizer is a great option for nanoemulsions. I am looking to harmonogize CBD isolate into a carrier oil. What do you guys recommend? Anyone familiar with ISP-3600 ultrasonic processor ? Which uses barbell horn ultrasonic technology ?

@CATScientific Have you guys utilized these with only distilled cannabis oil sans carriers? We formulate 250kg of distilled cannabis oil a month in increments as small as 500g and have looked at both the X1000 and the X1740 but have yet to commit. The only compounds we use in our formula are purified/isolated terpenes and the cannabis oil itself, does viscosity tend to be problematic for the CAT Homogenizers? At what point does the solid load from CBD in the solution become problematic, if at all? How problematic and time consuming is cleaning the instrument before re-use? What shaft assembly did your team find most optimal for cannabinoid content?

1 Like

Yes, the homogenizer is used to process distillate and terpene emulsions. The distillate is heated on a hotplate stirrer, as well as the terpernes in a separate vessel. The solutions are then emulsified with the homogenizer. The process takes about 2 minutes or less; volume, 1 liter.

Leo @Deleted uses the X1000 Homogenizer to process their distillate-terpene emulsions. You may want to ask him how the device performs.

2 Likes

What was the dilution factor these folks were using? Ratio of concentrated THC product to total volume? Using THC distillate?

Before I can give you a complete answer, are you referring to a “solid load from CBD in the solution”, crystallization or something else?

1 Like

For processing distillate and terpenes we recommend our G shafts, which are sealed. Cleaning the G shaft is not problematic at all because the shaft tube is sealed. No media is processed through the shaft tube. All that is needed is for the Generator (Rotor-Stator) to be cleaned after processing. It takes about 2 minutes to take off the Generator (Rotor-Stator) from the shaft. Here’s a quick video tutorial on how to do that.

http://www.catscientific.com/video-how-to-change-homogenizer-generators/

3 Likes

@CATScientific so I can get total homogenized emmulsified in 2 minutes? I see it has a large speed range what speed setting do you recommend. Working with hash oil MTC and organic steam distilled terpenes. Thanks

I’m looking at various table top homogenizers for candy manufacturing. My fears with using a high shear homogenizer are that the gelatin will be too viscous to effectively homogenize and that it will travel into the shaft/generator and result in cross-contamination.

What instrument do you recommend for homogenizing high viscosity candies? (Gummy, Hard Candy, Lollipop)

For processing gummies, hard candies, lollipops etc, a high shear homogenizer will work as long as the operator liquefies the gelatin, (lowers viscosity) prior to employing the homogenizer.

As for cross-contamination, our Generator Shafts are sealed so no media is processed through the shaft tube eliminating cross-contamination. One caveat, the operator will have to immediately clean the Generator (rotor-stator) after processing.

For your application we recommend the X1740 Homogenizer with the G30 (V) Coarse Generator Shaft Assembly.
The X1000 homogenizers don’t have enough torque to process hard candies.

What’s the volume range you desire to process?

Sealed Shaft!

X1740 Homogenizer with stand and a G40 (V) Generator Shaft.

1 Like