First try at diamonds, advice needed, please

oss right
Hfs left

8 Likes

The oss one looks shitty as fuck. I don’t even know what to say. The welds look like shit. The base I don’t know how thick that base is but it don’t look standard.

I like the lid and the adjustable pressure relief but that just looks like their quality control is pretty bad.

I’m interested in seeing that one taken up to 150psi with the welds on that one. I’m sure they pressure tested before it left.

5 Likes

The hfs is the one with 2 sight glasses and the adjustable relief valve. The oss has the 4" inline sight glass and one on top. I kinda took the photos wrong so they are reverse on the lower photo. I’ll pressure test them for sure. I hope they work out, the hfs one cost more and has less features. We ordered 2 to see which is best I might keep looking but most other places want twice as much $ from what I see

Yeah the one with the 2x sight glasses welds are just about the worst I’ve seen on a Chinese tri clamp piece. HFS been at it for a while. I’m sure there stuff is good but them welds look like a 12 year old did them. Maybe. You never know it’s china.

5 Likes

At 30 psi it leaks around the sight glass, will update once I fix that leak and the main seal needs to be torqued, I put ptfe seal in it.
If it doesn’t leak gonna test the relief valve pretty sure it’s lowest setting is 20 psi

2 Likes

May need to give her tighten w large pipe wrench…I had to on sight glass before… Very easy…make sure top and bottom seal in

1 Like

Ptfe needs quite a bit of torque compaired to some of the softer seal materials such as buna.
You got a chain wrench? https://www.homedepot.com/p/Crescent-24-in-Chain-Wrench-CW24/204064335
If you dont have a spanner that fits the sight glass this is the second best tool you can use.

3 Likes

Thanks For being so helpful y’all save me so much time I can’t thank ya enough! Found a spanner at Lowe’s in plumbing section, almost bought the chain wrench instead, probably should have cuz they come in handy

3 Likes

right tool: DIN wrench.

available at glacier tanks.
https://www.glaciertanks.com/din-fittings-round-nuts.html

maybe @precisionnick can share the tool they suggested for tightening DIN sightglasses back in 2015. I won’t.

Picture below are the oil filter wrench I picked up at St Vinnies, and a decent approximation of a DIN spanner. I used the oil wrench to get the sight-glasses on that PX1 tightened down for my initial pressure test when the PX1 first arrived.

I think it took me another week or two to run into that ($6?) spanner. Which is (pretty close to) the right tool for the job.

looks to be one of these Forestry Spanner Wrench - Double Ended (so not an actual DIN spanner).

if I recall correctly I picked mine up at Pacific Rubber.

5 Likes

Heres a link to s&h spanner, measure your sight glass ring before you order though.
http://shproductsinc.com/product/double-ended-spanner-wrench-4/![20181111_104438|374x500](upload://5szx4PrzlG9EXdnIxmDiNgLtLBQ.jpg)
This is what I got at Lowe’s, home depot supposedly has a better one according to oss if used as pictured it works great, however it slipped and laced my knuckles open…
& update: they are both holding a solid 90 psi, I’ll leave em for a while, maybe go to 110 120 tops

2 Likes

This is what I use to tighten all my sight glasses. It’s long and I can get a ton of leverage on it. I think $10 at harbor freight.

16 Likes

What the sam hell is a seed crystal and seeding

2 Likes

A seed crystal is a crystal that is placed in a saturated solution to encourage crystal growth.
Thats in the same general ballpark as etching the bottom of the crystalazation dish.

4 Likes

crystals grow by adding new molecules to an existing structure. without a seed, that “existing structure” is a single other molecule. it’s much harder to run into a buddy and stick than it is to run into an iceberg…

5 Likes

https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/2/2372e5045d91eb8ce68a52718f6193fbc2662530.MP4 https://future4200.com/uploads/default/original/2X/8/8e1b2354025f5f7ff81c3b36bdad3f3ad42a28dd.MP4

I can’t open these

Very informative. Thanks for sharing. I am running my first batch now. It’s been two days and it appears to be forming pretty good. Any thoughts?

@pangea those look really nice. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

too little solvent… add more tane or some heat

1 Like

Can someone tell me if im doing something wrong, i dont want to open it up but it doesnt seem to seperate. Ive been doing jar tech method with using the oven at the end to purge.

place mixture in jar and let it sit in the oven at 90 for 12 hours or till its settled.
cap it and cover the glass with a sock (in case of explosion so it doesnt go everywhere and something about uv i was told?) and leave it for 3 weeks
take out of that place than put back into oven at 90 for another week.
seperate the sauce and diamonds than put back in oven for a few more days at 90.

i think im missing some steps here or maybe overdoing it.
im thinking i should just
put mixture in jar and let it reduce in oven.
take it out and cap it and put it back in oven for 3 weeks at 90.
i shoud see significant growth from what im reading just from that? id prefer to do it without seeding

thanks!

1 Like