Extracting and winterizing while skipping the butane

Tricks of the trade thread…

ROLL the felt …although it won’t work in that buchner…bet you could reconfigure your cls for vacuum filtration if you pondered on it.

Edit: Doh!! you’re here cause you don’t got one of those…no seriously…maybe I should back off on the hash.

:joy::rofl::rofl:

:shushing_face:

also, you should probably get a cls.

3 Likes

Figured you guys would get a kick out of this. My acrylic vac lid cracked. I knew this was going to happen, I didn’t realize how quickly it would happen though. I figured I’d get at least 1 or 2 purges of ethanol before it gave way but nope. Literally less than an hour and it started cracking. I’ve got a glass lid on the way. Hopefully the gasket and hardware fits.

Don’t think that was the lids fault. Maybe you should just buy your dabs. Since you can’t buy common sense.

3 Likes

You should be happy this happened with acrylic and it wasn’t glass bruh.

I’ve had the same lid for years and haven’t cracked it.

Maybe you tightened things a bit too much or something, but this should not be happening.

2 Likes

Cracked at the hole for the vac gauge. I’m guessing a sloppy drill or defect in the acrylic… or maybe the nut was too tight.

2 Likes

Where did I say it was the lids fault? Ethanol does that to acrylic. Maybe you shouldn’t be on the Internet since you don’t know how to not be a prick.

Ethanol does that to acrylic. I already ordered the glass lid so I figured screw it.

I always thought you had to be a prick to be on the interwebs ? ya know, too crude for real life, so have to make friends online facebook

2 Likes

Dude’s are acting like it’s the end of the world or I blew myself up or something. I already had the glass lid ordered so I said screw it. Not that big of a deal.

Both holes cracked. I doubt they’re too tight, I can rotate all the hardware somewhat freely by hand.

be careful, thats the tune. dont take it personal, were all just tryin to help bro

btw the fear is that the glass will shatter, acrylic has the ability to bend where glass often does not. tensile strength is at play

2 Likes

Until it is. That’s the problem with all this stuff we are playing around with. No biggie till shit blows up.

Back to the lid, a couple of uses with ethanol fumes didn’t compromise the lid.

Bad drilling? Maybe, but typically things like this are down to user error. You gotta understand MOST of the time that’s the problem, so it’s going to be the first thing most people assume is wrong.

And you’re kinda all over the place too, so that also points to user error.

You’re welcome to take it personal, but also understand this is dangerous shit and the feedback you’re getting is for a reason.

2 Likes

Ok more reading done and now I have more questions. I don’t have endless time to just search. I have a job.

AC pulls out thca? Saw someone else say there’s no evidence to support that. Has to be hardwood to remove color? Can it be any hardwood carbon?

Bentonite has to be baked before use? At what temp? For how long? What’s it for if AC is what removes the color?

Are all these different filter powders necessary for removing the dark and green color? Which ones do I use? Acidic? Neutral? I’m seeing all different kinds of people use all different kinds of stuff. From bentonite to silica to alumina and magisil.

Do all these filter powders change the taste of the end product? I’m seeing people say yes and others saying it’s fine.

I don’t need it to be crystal clear. Ideally I just want to remove the green color while preserving thca and terps and flavor.

I’ve got my jars, I’ve got my everclear, I’ve got my buchner, vac flask, and vacuum pump, I’ve got filter papers and duda sheets. I got the wrong charcoal.

I DO search and read. As much as my free time allows.

I have their old version with gauges.

You can get KNF to 1/4" NPT to attach a larger orifice vacuum hose. You can also mod it to work with triclamp.

BVV also makes a stainless one but it’s a little more price wise

You could get a stainless ice bucket with a minium of 4" diameter modified to have a triclamp top and however many holes you want drilled into it for ports and then you can get a 6" triclamp base and a 6" to 4" reducer put the modified ice bucket with pre drilled ports into the 6" base and make sure it’s a flat bottom base with a 1" or 2" port on the side match up the pre-made ports on the modified stainless 4" ice bucket and there ya go a cold trap that would be expensive to make but neat to see be made.

personally if you’re small use and not industrial just get a simple bvv one and modify as needed

I was misunderstanding the purpose of a cold trap. I have a diaphragm pump so what I was really trying to do is recover my solvent.

2 Likes

How much ethanol are you trying to recover? Gallons? Liters?

1 Like

If you’re trying to adjust color while in ethanol, then you were pointed at the correct answer as the very first response:

Go back and check it out…

Read it a couple or three times and I believe you’ll have answers to most of the question you just asked.

Is sounds like you’ve been reading of CRC, most of which is only applicable in a non-polar solvent.

5 Likes
1 Like

At most 1L at a time.