Decarbing live resin

lets start another one. what are some favorite temps and times for decarbing super terpy live resin? trying to fill carts with terp rich live without adding terps back in. i have a pressure vessel we will be doing large batches in. hoping for short turnover times and high terpene retention to provide the best end product for the people of Canada. we specialize in hydrocarbon extraction this is the first time dipping my feet in decarbing for carts so all info is welcome.

4 Likes

Crystallise THCa, decarb then mix back together. Decarbing with terps ends up gross because terpenes can’t handle decarb parameters.

8 Likes

165 - 172°F for 24hr under 5psi N2

1 Like

The 5psi lowers decarb temps?
And why decarb needed for a cart.

1 Like

No, the added atmosphere of N2 will (theoretically) increase the boiling points of the target compounds (terpenes and flavonoids) so when applying heat they won’t boil and escape from below the blanket of N2 gas. As far as I know, the decarboxylation process is unaffected by pressure, it does not increase or decrease the time it takes. From what I’ve seen, at the temperatures I listed, it takes around 24hrs to reach a full decarb, which to me is a low and slow, rather than a hot and fast. HTE decarbed this way may bubble upon opening or slight agitation, I assume this is the carbonic acid/CO2 trapped inside the mixture.

I do HTE this way for a company I toll for, they prefer it over centrifuged terps. Plus the centrifuge I have is very tiny, and honestly it’s a pain in the ass to sit there and scoop lil 25g batches into 6 separate lil tubes. Spin off for like an hour and repeat. I can see why people went with much larger fuges with stainless steel cups, since I don’t have that, it’s not an option. I work alone so time is precious, I can do multiple HTE batches in one pressure vessel, but I can’t do multiple large batches of HTE thru one centrifuge at once.

@420guy

2 Likes

thats awesome have you had your HTE lab tested after the decrab process to ensure a full decarb?

not when you use pressure vessel… these test batches smell and taste delicious! just seeing what other people are doing.

2 Likes

I Decarb under pressure to retain terps?

I’m with @Dukejohnson; spun is more fun.
you can/have to go hotter or longer to get crystallized THCA to decarb. unlike non-separated, it can be done under vac which removes any off flavors the higher temps might create, and does zero damage to the terpene profile (because they’re not in there yet).

decreases the viscosity, which is sometimes necessary. stops crystallization from occurring in the cart. which some consider a flaw. especially if the cart stops working.

you don’t have In House analytics yet?

have you considered Organoleptics: In House QC?

does this “decrab” process have anything to do with Infusing the Chesapeake Bay blue crab :upside_down_face:

why does everybody assume their question have not been asked before?

fragmenting the conversation doesn’t make it easier to follow (hoping crosslinks do).

To me spun is more work and less fun. THCa submerged in HTE dissolves back into the solution at those temps. The less HTE you have mixed with your THCa the higher your temp has to be.

But anyway, seems the consensus is spinning. Which is a great option. Nobody has to do what I do xD

Plus, I can wash HTE off in my CLS in much larger batches than I can fit into a fuge. Guess I’m just a fuge hater.

1 Like

we are currently doing both. organoleptics are ongoing.

Id suggest a bigger fuge…but that’s how I took out our CUP-30.

3 Likes

What’s the footprint of the fuge people are using the spin off terps?? My facility isn’t very big, floor space is precious.

It’s also not an issue, what I do works so I’m not looking for a solution.

1 Like

couldnt find any good direct answers when i search for it so i asked my own question is that so bad? haha

nope. have you read those threads? no DIRECT answer, but asking for clarification to a extant discussion (or just linking the relevant bits you DID find) can help MORE people.

by starting a NEW thread, and NOT linking that which has gone before (or even looking for it), we get stuck repeating the same basic stuff over and over. and over. and over.

not saying DONT ASK.

suggesting that BUILDING a knowledgebase requires referencing that which was, not repeatedly typing out the same things. the answers to your questions will help many. they could help more, if they also referenced that which is relevant from previous discussions (“I read these, which are relevant, but don’t quite answer…”)

eg; while I agree they are different questions
Decarbing Diamonds
and
Decarbing live resin
do share a lot of similarities in the ANSWERS, and a fair amount of overlap as far as whom might benefit (including the guy asking both questions… :wink: )

1 Like
4 Likes

alright goons grab your HTE, it’s time to ride the clown fuge

3 Likes

I have been getting a TON of bubbles in my material during decarb.

Any suggestions? I pulled vac at low temp until the bubbling subsided but it seems like it needs more decarb. I’m just worried about baking the terps off it.

During vac

After 15min

1 Like

you want positive pressure during decarb to preserve terps.
pulling vac will definitely result in losing more terps.

I believe decarb is unaffected by pressure, or lack thereof.

3 Likes

You will still need to pull vacuum on the decarbed under pressure stuff to release the entrapped co2 before filling or you will have a bubbly nightmare in your filler.

6 Likes

We fully decarb under pressure with very minimal oxygen present. Transfer to rotary evaporators and use low heat and vacuum to purge the CO2 before filling. Works for Cured, Live, Rosin, and THCA.

3 Likes

Yes, my bad.
Not during decarb I meant. Post-decarb, yes.

3 Likes