X-Spiral: Affordable Membrane Systems for the People!

Excited to show off what i’ve been working on for the last year. If you follow me on instagram (@magisterchemist) you’ve seen the footage and teasers i’ve been posting for a while now.

Pleased to announce the X-Spiral line of membrane filtration systems! Designed by me and built in collaboration with @GreenMachine_Consult. I had the pleasure of demoing my X-Spiral 2.5 for @cyclopath @Akoyeh and @Photon_noir in Eugene recently, and am happy to be doing my official launch now.

Featuring:

All stainless steel construction
Prices that compete with any products on the market
Recovery sizes ranging from 30 gal/hr to 400 gal/hr
Membranes replacement costs as low as $400
Ultra-low energy consumption at 5% the electricity uses of typical falling films.
Options for C1D1 installations
Solvent recovery without heat – no unnecessary decarboxylation

From the moment I first heard about the use of RO for solvent recovery, I looked to get into the field. My MS was in Polymer Chemistry and the intersection between that and cannabis was too much to pass up. I think everyone agrees that earlier efforts in this field were hampered by high costs startup costs and few options for membranes (or worse, proprietary membranes restricting you to one supplier). With my background in extraction I designed these with all the features I wanted: compact design that doesn’t take up much space, energy saving features, and simple but flexible controls. This is not a repurposed water skid – it has been designed from the ground up to meet the needs of actual processing lines.

45 Likes

Awesome and congrats!

Your last point… “Solvent recovery without heat – no unnecessary decarboxylation”. Does this mean that your system is able to recover 100% of the solvent with no further processing?

1 Like

No, it only recovers 90-95% of the ethanol (there is a formula for predicting this based on feed concentration). I only mean without heat on this particular unit itself. You will still need something to remove the last 5-10%. Thanks for reaching out for clarification.

13 Likes

Awesome and dabsolutely amazing
Will you design one for hydrocarbons now😂

4 Likes

It already works for hydrocarbons. In that case, hydrocarbon compatible membranes are used.

10 Likes

So you have one that speeds recovery rates of butane or 70/30? Do tell

3 Likes

I don’t have direct data on butane, only on pentane. In pentane, the recovery rates are about 3x what’s listed here (i.e. a 2.5 will do 90).

6 Likes

Great job sir
Amazing that several of our members have made it to the finish line with such new tech devises 2018 I started this tread and not much was known about RO for solvents
And now the units are ready to roll
She s pretty to @cyclopath this is more a Roxy than a Betsy or Maria don t ya think

10 Likes

:thinking:

Quite possibly.

4 Likes

Yes you definitely got a lot of people thinking. I think you had the first thread about this on future though I had heard about it slightly before that.

6 Likes

Ask and ye shall receive

I was just talking about how we were due for the next state-of-the-membrane address, looks like we’ve got it! Can’t wait to see what it can do!

4 Likes

Sweet setup. Am i reading this right, the c1d1 units are electric but the pneumatic (air or nitrogen?) model isn’t? Seems counterintuitive. Can you elaborate a bit?

What are electric/air requirements?

Props on getting this over the finish line!

4 Likes

So what are the prices?

2 Likes

I wonder how much the 30 gal unit costs

3 Likes

The pneumatic unit is already c1d1. The electric units can be c1d1 if desired. Sorry if I stated that confusingly

3 Likes

Is that in line with the recovery rates we were chatting about before or have you improved on em?

2 Likes

They follow the same math as i gave you in our discussion. No changes to report on that since then. I mean you can press it farther but it will be slow.

2 Likes

Shweet, shortly getting setup here, hopefully I’ll be able to get one in a few months. I’m pooped so I’ll post a few more questions tomorrow :call_me_hand:t3:

2 Likes

Priced for the common man.
So what are your entry level prices?

2 Likes

Congrats and I look forward to seeing your hard work across the US

3 Likes