X-Spiral: Affordable Membrane Systems for the People!

For the 2.5, the pneumatic version is $65k, and the electric version is $95k.

4 Likes

Power requirements as follows:

2.5 pneumatic: 50 CFM 100 PSI air

2.5: 460/3/4.2 OR 230/1/15

4: 460/3/14.8

8: 460/3/30.4

2 Likes

I’m inclined to believe this will be the way forward in the industry if you want to scale and survive but I’m not familiar enough with trade offs and nuances.

I fantasize about doing smaller extractions (< 20gals) and being done with post processing in less than an hour.

4 Likes

Yeah, i noticed one thing was that no previous vendors had offered small size units. They were all like 100 gph and above and took up huge floor space. I worked really hard to make the 2.5 small enough to fit even in a tiny space. I used to work in a 400 sqft facility myself and i remember how getting any new equipment in there was challenging.

8 Likes

God that thing is such a beauty! I can tell @MagisterChemist really put his heart and soul into this and included every last feature I could think of that I’d want.

4 Likes

Are you doing room temp extractions with these units?

1 Like

Sometimes I use it at room temp with dewax membranes, sometimes i do cryo extraction and just run it for solvent recovery. Kind of depends on your overall lab setup

1 Like

Do you find the dewax membrane with room
temp etho good enough for distillation without a winterization step?

1 Like

Yes, definitely. They reject all the wax and actually also reject the red color that’s always been kind of a pain to deal with on ethanol extracts. The reason i haven’t always ran them is because one unit can only run one function. And all my installs have been single units only. So it’s been a choice between running each function with only half the time, or run cryo and be able to run solvent recovery full time. If you had two units, i would definitely recommend dewax membranes over cryo.

8 Likes

How long are the dewax membranes good for? And have you tested the recovery membranes past the 3 month period yet?

4 Likes

I’ve had some new type membranes produced with lifespan extending features like different permeate carrier wrap and different sheet adhesive. However the nature of the beast is that long term testing is required to know just how much extension these changes produce.

I have tried many different dewax membranes. The one I used the most lasted that 3 months. Some of the newer ones I’ve used have even better dewaxing performance but because they’re new i haven’t had a chance to run them to death yet.

11 Likes

So you can change functions on a single skid if desired? How involved is the change process?

1 Like

You drain the system, take the membranes out of the housing, and put in new ones. It’s not that hard. Probably takes a half hour total.

2 Likes

Does running crying ethanol improve the capability of the dewax membranes?

1 Like

You mean doing cryo extraction and then running through a dewax membrane later? Well i mean if you’re doing cryo correct you shouldn’t really need much dewaxing. So it’s not a scenario I’ve really explored. It should lead to slower fouling and faster permeation but may not really make much difference before and after.

Or if you mean running the machine itself with cold feed, the membrane manufacturers could not guarantee compatibility below 0C. Not that they aren’t compatible, but it’s testing they’ve never done (and i haven’t either yet)

4 Likes

In that case, just use your extraction output as your cooling solution for your roto. Then run it to the membrane and back into then roto. :+1:

11 Likes

Hmm that’s’s a cool idea. I like it

1 Like

Beware the issues with MDMT ratings on the housings. @Kingofthekush420 and I were discussing this prior to his “sabbatical”. Not sure how the membranes would do but fracture toughness on austenitic stainless doesn’t do too hot at low temps and membranes produce a good bit of back pressure. Not saying don’t do it, just exercise caution as necessary.

2 Likes

Yeah I was talking in regards to cold feed - winterized bho, but in that case I’d have to wait for it to warm up before running it. Would be nifty to use the recovery feed to chill the roto

1 Like

Yep. Or not get it cold to start.

The point is the fats don’t go through the membrane. So there is no need to chill your solvent to get them to precipitate before you filter them out.

So you dissolve your BHO in rm temp ethanol, then run through membrane…

3 Likes