Optimizing your RotoVap

One need to use low vacuum for pentane, through a vacuum regulator. And as @cyclopath recommends, chemical duty vac pump are a must.

3 Likes

Yep regulate to -15 hg. Anything more will be hectic

1 Like

Building a 16 kw 50 L rotovape :joy:

17 Likes

Of course you did. Nice

3 Likes

What in the open blast.

Nope want to try and make the flask a flash evaporation area by injecting solvent true a nozzle at 2 bar and pre heating the solvent 30% over it s bp temperature in a pressure vessel

6 Likes

Oh my god. As long as you’re going that hard on condensers pipe your inlet tincture through the bottom condenser then into your feed flask and use your chiller(s?) for the top three. With a large enough receiving vessel you may be able to run continuous instead of batch. Rotos work best when they are less than half full too so a trickle inlet may just do the trick.

Also, please don’t die.

1 Like

Might wanna do some U shape type condenser, i feel like alot of that recovered solvent is just gonna be bumping in ur condenser column, youll probably be limited by just how much can fall thru that bottom condenser

sick …the stairs in the photo is the best. haha

2 Likes

wtf are you saying bro…lolo

1 Like

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: What in the open blast," is another way of saying “What in the hell!”

:octopus: Someone else said it and I loved it and I only use it on this forum.

Wait!!! Might’ve been when the tarnation meme was a thing. Either way, What in the open blast" is great.

2 Likes

part of “optimizing” my current flock of rotary evaporators requires I get their lift’s working…

suggestions welcome.

1 Like

I know this is an old post, but dam. Yup, and thats what happened to me. I use VG for my food grade chiller anti-freeze bath. Lol my buddy ran the 5L roto without my cold trap up. I was gone. I came back a little upset to the lab with a nice puddle of oil under my pump. Now I have to find a seal kit for it. Uhg

Just a reminder this turned out to be overkill.

I ended up going to this submersible and it’s the best one I’ve ever used in my life.

You can attach this to that pump and then mess around with triclamp to hose fitting to be able to attach any hose.

Bumping.

‘Cause all this shit is still important.

When you’re done here, figure out Who is king of EToH Recovery? and check out [Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator as well

Then wrap your head around why all of that is wrong…X-Spiral: Affordable Membrane Systems for the People!

5 Likes

Bumping for love. Let’s keep this thread going :v:t2:

1 Like

A rotovap is still useful with an X-Spiral,

I use an FFE and a rotovap for secondary recovery and purging respectively.

3 Likes

Correct. Good point.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Because sometimes optimizing your Rotovap means buying a better one.

And then you can use the old condenser for other things…say your decarb vessel…

Thanks @rowan!!

Bonus points for anyone that can tell the class where that fitting came from.

3 Likes