Tricks of the trade

Fucking excellent idea man. I love it

Be sure to tac a screw in it so it doesn’t bust open mid run.

1 Like

Thanks man! I just gorilla taped the seam but a few sheet metal screws would definitely be the move!

2 Likes

In the Lab - Chemical Free Glass Cleanup

Cleaning d8 & pine tar thick distillate crap off glass:

cheapest oil sold at walmart (any kind)
granulated sugar as abrasive

toss oil in while everything’s still warm but works great cold too
if you toss the oil in while the glass is still hot/warm you can dissolve (?) the distillate/concentrate into the oil and at 50% or greater concentrate to oil, you then simply dump the jiz oil and wash
get that cheap oil all over every spec of tar
you can toss in some sugar (as abrasive) when you apply the elbow grease
use an abrasive pad; once tar is off dishwashing detergent - rinse - done
I like to dump in trash the jiz oil - not wash into drain as you may be roto-rootering the same solidified crap from your clogged drains later

no gnarly chemicals to inhale during daily cleanup

thinking about a dedicated oil cleanup station :thinking:

5 Likes

stop dragging kegs around your lab. use wheels.

I like these 16in plant dollies.

$25 from home despot. probably available cheaper elsewhere.
Work great for moving plants around too :wink:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/16-in-Plant-Dolly-Caddy-Black-DEV3000B/202675357

18 Likes

I can attest that this particular model fits kegs almost perfectly!

3 Likes

Easiest decarb test ever…

Dissolve a small sample in EtOH, dab on a TLC plate with a capillary tube and allow to fully dry (careful using a heat gun-you may decarb your sample!) apply bromocresol green ( I use a soaked q-tip in a rolling fashion) Yellow? keep going. Blue? Yer good to go!

I used to run a TLC plate in a chamber with Ethyl acetate and Heptane …but why bother!

25 Likes

Is there an SOP for TLC floating around somewhere? I’ve been meaning to buy a kit but I’d like to understand what I’m getting in to first

2 Likes

I have a “Black Hole” toner cleaning station at my print shop. Works perfect for bagging up powders and not getting it everywhere. I picked it up used years ago for $300.

9 Likes

Hey how dis that valve on the bottom work? Just got a bunch but i hate the blue handle ones so just curious before i swap some others out for them

It’s crap, I replaced em with swagelok knockoffs actually. They held ok for a year, then the nut packing started leaking and I couldn’t get the inner part to break loose, or tighten for that matter.

They knockoffs seem ok, except the port on em is only as big as an jic opening.

Ya about what i figured, glad i didn’t pay for them. Which swage knock off, i got a bunch of superlok ones jm about to use

Definitely a good thing you didn’t get those ones, and the knockoffs I grabbed off of ebay.

Edit: they ain’t nearly as good as the superlok’s I assume.

2 Likes

I love this thread! I’m excited to try the tamponTek soon…along with a few others. Thank you all for what you’re doing!

I got a few #4 filter bag housings a while back hoping they would be able to get me down to sub micron. After all, “they” sell those welded ptfe coated bags right?

Turns out there was no way to actually get a seal between the basket and housing Or the bag and basket. It did well enough to rough filter but I was getting a ton of powders/sediment.

I’m sure other filter bag setups have this sort of thing built in…

O-Rings FTW

4 Likes

If you’re looking for a cheap option to rack mount your system check out network data racks. They’re made to hold the weight and you can find them for $80-200.

https://www.amazon.com/Rising-Movable-Frame-Network-Server/dp/B07588CZ2D/ref=mp_s_a_1_140?dchild=1&keywords=network+data+rack&qid=1596404918&sr=8-140

15 Likes

pH up is just diluted John or naphtha
I typed KOH and NaOH, that’s what autocorrect thought I said
Anyways, it’s basic and not acidic, and the caustic nature of those substances is what dissolves shit like grease in drains, or freebase alkaloids, etc

This is a trick while you’re still growing
Bentonite clay is slam full of minerals and shit
Minerals and microbes are what makes good weed, as you have to have everything in sufficient amounts, and lacking one mineral can make a lot of difference
Gypsum for the calcium and the sulfur
Sulfur is key in terpene production
Glacial rock dust and bentonite for the minerals

8 Likes

Curious if adding spent media to a soil mix would have added benefits like the silica and bentonite, or if the oils would fuck with soil life like they can when making kombucha

The leeched compounds would definitely help your soil

3 Likes

THCA synthase is expressed in the glandular trichomes of Cannabis sativa . THCA synthase may contribute to the self-defense of Cannabis plants by producing THCA and hydrogen peroxide, which are both cytotoxic. Because these products are toxic to the plant, THCA synthase is secreted into the trichome storage cavity.[7] THCA also acts as a necrosis-inducing factor by opening mitochondrial permeability transition pores, inhibiting mitochondrial viability and resulting in senescence in leaf tissues.[8]
Hmmm, would it increase THCA production, since there would be THCA synthase in the media, or would it be bad?
I’ll let ya know when I transplant

3 Likes

Quality fucking content right here

3 Likes