The Death of Horatio

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.reddit.com/r/CanadianMOMs/comments/ispdv5/canadian_cannabis_pioneer_horatio_delbert_has/&ved=2ahUKEwjgwrDwiurrAhWHvJ4KHQE6A5UQFjABegQIDBAB&usg=AOvVaw0zeOXz4WeaH-8qMbnHi-_-

The Limonene Hash Oil guy in Canada died. He was extracting with CO2 when allegedly one of the brass nuts on his column let go.

PSA

Replace your brass nuts often

42 Likes

We had been chatting for the last month or so, after he grabbed some stainless traps from me. he was a really nice guy. pretty fond of this place. pretty shitty to see this.

23 Likes

Oh shit, I’ve toked with that dude a few times. Certainly helped create his own niche in the market.

Fuck. :frowning: That’s all kinds of shitty.

11 Likes

Yup, seemed like great dude from his YouTube videos. Sometimes it’s easy to start feeling over confident about what we do but one little accident/ oversight can be catastrophic. So sorry to hear this news.

6 Likes

Brass nuts are designed to wear out so that your bolts don’t. Replace them often.

28 Likes

What kind of column was he injecting co2 into and at what psi?

I’ve never seen a brass nut on a co2 extractor.

5 Likes

From what I was shown, not at all the appropriate vessel. But I don’t know a whole lot of the details.

3 Likes

Is that really what happened?

Fuck what a way to die…

RIP

6 Likes

damn there was only a few companies originally making thca and live resin/diamonds 4 years ago in Canada he was one of them

4 Likes

Damn. I always wanted to meet him. Out of anyone who I had wanted to meet in the industry it was him. I learned a lot about terpenes from his work. That’s really depressing. Rest In Peace.

3 Likes

RIP :skull: :skull:

1 Like

This is very tragic but in hindsight I’d like to say he rode the stainless steel rocket home, a dream us all can only imagine. May he rest in paradise :pray:t3::call_me_hand:t3:

6 Likes

This is so very sad.

I’d go further than say replace your brass nuts often, I’d say they should never be used in the first place, they should never be sold with any clamp used for cannabis extraction.

Important past discussions on such matters.

“…The reason brass is sold with these is for washdown applications where steel is not acceptable.
Stainless nuts can gall and seize of course on SS bolts.”

I literally bought a bunch of replacement nuts earlier today gearing up for the processing season.
No one should be getting killed doing this!
RIP Horatio

3 Likes

Another important thing is to never over tighten brass nuts they generally require 20 foot lbs of torque depending on the gasquet type and size. Please be careful everyone do not ever get too comfortable . Rip its sad to see stuff like this happen please be safe out there guys you can never be too careful in this line of work

5 Likes

ask @hambread what happens to brass nuts at 20 foot lbs of torque, or look through the threads I posted and see how erroneous and dangerous that max recommendation when using brass is! https://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=7207148&postcount=39

5 Likes

I have only experienced issues with nuts over tightened . I have had one crack before in 4 years and it was was because it was over torqued . This is why i did not explicitly say all bolts need to be torqued to 20 foot lbs . If you have ptfe gaskets you will see that you most likely need way more than that for the gasket to seal properly . It is dependent on tri clamp size and gasket type . I only torque mine until they hold double my standard operating pressure . With all of these variables its hard to give a general answer . So just be sure to not over tighten them cause that is how you pop nuts and bolts also be sure to routinely maintenance your nuts !

1 Like

Poor guy, RIP.

This is the reason i have never messed with CO2 or high pressure.
Some of the vids i saw in college of people getting high pressure injected from hydraulic lines rupturing, valves failing and going through peoples torso’s…
People might frown upon me for open blasting but the worst i can do i set my swimming pool on fire lol.

Bless the man though, to loose your life over a $5 nut…
What a shit way to go. I feel for him and his family
:heart:

6 Likes

thats terrible news I am very sorry for him and his family .Thats something always to worry about rest in peace kind soul

https://www.austenitex.com/shop_by_category/Tri-Clamp-Accessories/Hex-Nuts-for-Bolted-Clamps-Brass-1-2-3-4-10-12-Clamps I always recommend these dixon nuts they are like night and day vs the cheap extraction company stantard brass nuts

3 Likes

RIP to the legend Horatio.
Crazy how close many of us here can be to similar scenarios day to day. This life is precious.

While I don’t know the details of this incident, some relevant notes to the discussion:

Silicon bronze is the more appropriate choice for high pressure triclamp nuts. Brass is just a cheap option - for low-pressure applications - which equipment suppliers fail to recognize (probably because their scope of knowledge is pretty limited to “that’s what our competitor is selling” along with a few homebrew videos on youtube).

I’ll say it over and over. The nut is literally considered the “fastener” on these triclamps. The fastener should be the strongest part of the clamp - not the weakest link. Silicon bronze (in comparison to stainless steel) has a higher tensile strength, lower modulus of elasticity while maintaining nearly the same hardness, and better corrosion-resistance. Brass, however, offers lower tensile strength and less corrosion-resistance (especially when exposed to salty water) than stainless steel.

Anyways, thanks for the continued inspiration, Horatio! Can’t thank you enough for all the socratic webinars. :pray: Bless your family through these tough times.

18 Likes

I never was able to put a face to the name but had heard about LHO and read about this over the past. My heart and condolences to his family and friends.

2 Likes