Stainless steel nuts?

We use brass as well. It varies from supplier, but silicon bronze is a better option. Brass tends to be shinier and silicon bronze is a bit dull.

11 Likes

Good to know. Ever since I saw that nut crack I’ve been religiously replacing the nuts.

I keep any metal scraps so I can use it for different projects. It’s nice to know I can turn my horde of silicon bronze nuts into filler rods.

Versatile but expensive as hell at retail prices.

2 Likes

Silicon Brass Nuts only

After having the threads strip/rip out on a brass nut mid run a couple years ago, I switched to grade 5 steel nuts and bolts for all my high pressure clamps. No problems since.

5 Likes

Grade 5 gang gang

3 Likes

I thought that but the only thread failure i had was on the bolt and not the brass nut. It couldve been from times where i tightened or loosened one side and it bound.

You damaged the bolt. Brass is certainly softer than stainless steel.

2 Likes

Seems to me that go/no-go gauges should be standard equipment for a CLS

1 Like

I have only used those when setting up ar’s to check the headspace. Probably not even the same thing…Care to elaborate more?

Looking it up too.

Brass seems to be a down grade
I’m looking for the best of the best…
Gold nuts. Much softer…

All jokes aside… take care of your nuts… like they were your own…

7 Likes

Not sure if I’m supposed to use anti-seize or anti-itch…

5 Likes

They make thread gauges for just about any size, they tell you if the thread is worn beyond spec/no good

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnpla/55440119

Looks like plug gauge is the proper term

4 Likes

Thanks man. Appreciate the info.

1 Like

Another benefit of the silicon bronze vs the regular brass is the material shedding factor. Micro brass bits everywhere or not.

Ditch the brass and get some bronze!

2 Likes

Yep. Silicon bronze and brass both have self lubricating properties, but silicon bronze is harder and creates less shavings. Also more resistant to corrosion.

1 Like

I agree, thats why I was surprised when the stainless threads popped. lesson learned that if you ever have a issue taking clamps off and it binds it may damage threads.

1 Like

i use the nuts on he clamp as they come from china. I think they are bronze. replacements at home depot say brass I think.

Where do u get the bronze nuts ? And are u saying u coat them i silicon or they come like that ?

You’re confusing silicon and silicone.

Silicon Bronze is copper alloy…as is brass.

Edit: in the spirt of “Those who do study the past are likely to repeat it…”

9 Likes

Thanks for clearing that up!