THCA crashing out during recovery

I have been following the benzene and fast crashing / chalking topics and decided to see if anyone has seen something similar me. I run a state licensed brand in Michigan and have been extracting on a closed loop for 6+ years. Nothing has changed in our daily production. Using 70/30 nbutane/propane, dry material, inject at -65c, inline dewax, no CRC. My last 2 batches have started crashing out during recovery. I recover at 35c, run 13x beads. I usually run multiple tubes / batch and do a single pour off. I started noticing the crashing after my 2nd tube. After recovering the majority of solvent I couldn’t pour from the spout I had to remove the base to pour off. After the first batch did this, I swapped all solvent out, cleaned the entire system, and redistilled fresh solvent from a new tank. Same thing happened again. I sent a partially purged R&D sample for residual solvents from the first batch to our testing lab and nothing abnormal popped in the test. I plan on sending another R&D sample that isn’t purged at all in today. In the mean time I plan on switching solvent supplier to see if that helps solve my issue. I will attach some photos to show you what I’m experiencing, any help would be greatly appreciated.

4 Likes

It looks like this happen because you reach correct purity and saturation of your solute. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

I concur with @Dr_Jebril

Seems like a great problem to have (except for cleaning the reclaim vessel :wink:).

Solvent to material ratio?

4 Likes

This won’t likely impact the process here, since this occurs at a certain point of recovery.
He better recover at higher temperature, or further melt it back together, if he wants a heterogeneous product at the end. Or make use of this unwanted artefact to perform inline THCa purification.

2 Likes

True…

I was just thinking with the propane mix, the possibility of it boiling off sooner since he’s recovering at a lower temp at most (which I commend. Been seeing a lot of people running hotter to recover faster lately) leaving behind less total solvent with his sauce.

Dude just has his shit dialed in.

4 Likes

This happens if I remove heat from my recovery when I still have a decent amount of solvent left.
And then continue to recover “cold”. I always thought Of it as a cold crash from evaporative cooling.

Maybe I’m way off though.

11 Likes

Same here. I’ve accidentally done this 4 or 5 times and every time a heat line was unplugged from collection pot

7 Likes

Depending on how we run, this can easily be made to happen every time. You are cold-crashing the acidics with the solvent. Most likely because of the propane, it has a nice low -42c bp so it provides the cold… :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Same thing happens to me when I do it that way

1 Like

I’m having the same problem, literally every single run crashes like this. The thca crashes so hard it clogs all my screens,lines, and valves. I’ve adjusted gas mixes,Temps, supply tanks, gas supplier. I ran the CLS for 2 years and never seen this till a few months ago. Any suggestions to fix this issue would be greatly appreciated

3 Likes

there are work arounds and folks who can apparently turn it on/off at will

summary: Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa" - #20 by cyclopath

I suggest reading that entire thread, along with anything “medusa” or “fast crash”…

5 Likes

Looks like German chocolate cake

4 Likes

If it crashes out in the pot could u not cut off recovery when it got low load it w some nitro to keep it from bubbling away then circulation of warm water till it finally melts down?

You can absolutely redissolve the extract if it crashes out, but it’s time consuming and can hurt the daily throughput significantly.

4 Likes

We are experiencing this as well

2 Likes

Sure is fun in the luna huh? Kind of wish we had a bottom 6” triclamp we could disconnect to fish out the pucks of thca now. :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Good thing Cody has them spaghetti arms @DP710EXTRACTIONS :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Reminds me of the good old days on the farm. download (2)

4 Likes

note to self: get more cow fisting gloves