Rapid crystallization during solvent recovery

Logs are great, data recorders are arguably more reliable.

although C1D1 log books are definitely way less expensive :rofl:

1 Like

Links plz

Me? No. But what do I know right haha

2 Likes

Find me someone who is capable of doing that. I have a few, at least, different things to give them to find out what it is.

5 Likes

you need links to an analog (paper) notebook?

off the top of my head I can’t actually see how to implement a data logger on my molsieves…maybe this will give someone else some ideas

Data Logging and Measurement | KEYENCE America?

4 Likes

This is my post from a few weeks ago, very similar situation here. I had to stop running active recovery, switched to passive and run all solvent over 13x beads as a liquid phase before distilling and running over 13x beads as a vapor phase. I am still seeing fast crashing after pouring off but it has been much more manageable and it stopped the crashing out during recovery.

4 Likes

Are you using isobutane? Apparently this is the cause of all this. Everyone needs to stop using isobutane. Even if you don’t use it, it’s isobutane causing problems. I don’t use isobutane, but apparently that’s the issue. If you’re using 100% Normal Butane, your problem is isobutane. Why? Because someone has had fast crash issues with isobutane and they are thinking that it is the same problem as everyone else, so it’s isobutane.

Hard latent sarcasm.

10 Likes

It could be that your active recovery pump is pumping faster than you are providing heat back into the oil and this particular batch is fresh and high in thca so it causes it to crash. What temp is your heater set to?

It’s kinda like when you redissolve isolate. You have to go hotter temps to prevent it from crashing out as you recover to keep it in an oil form, so if this particular batch is high in thca, it will have the same issues when recovering.

8 Likes

I don’t use pumps, thou. And the problem has happened to me, as well. I’ve seen it happen with guys not even using nitrogen, too.

4 Likes

I’m sure it’s the same with the OP, but my process hasn’t changed in 6 years, so why all the sudden the issues? why now my pump is recovering faster than i can provide heat? I have always ran recovery at 35c and around 1-5psi. I have tried adding more heat to increase pressure but had the same results. There is obviously something going on with the solvent.

I have also noticed that if I pour off and start to whip into a badder immediately i can get a good consistency, but if im running out of time on the day and drop the pyrex on dry ice over night ( like I have done 1,000 times before without issues) the pyrex will start to crash out immediately after pulling it out of the dry ice the next morning. Within an hour an entire 1,500 gram batch will be crashed out while the pyrex itself will still be cold to the touch. I used to be able to get the pyrex up to temp before whipping for 4 hours and getting into a badder consistency, now instant sugar!

Dred- I know you used to run a heavy Isobutane, I did too for a couple years, my question is has anyone running heavy Isobutane mix or heavy Propane mix noticed these issues or is it just the people running Nbutane and 70/30 Nbutane/Propane mixes? I am thinking about getting a batch of 80/20 Isobutane/Nbutane and see how it reacts

1 Like

I’ve seen it with passive too. Just to be clear I’m not talking about Medusa stones. From what I know Medusa stones are stones that crash beautiful and then turn chalky after a day of harvesting. This issue we’re talking about here is a fast crash during recovery. At least from my experience, it’s a unique scenario where the material is high in thca, recovery is to the point where it’s pulling a vacuum(if passive) and the recovery heat is low. @MIextractor its not that you’re are recovering faster now, it’s that the material is mainly thca is what I’m trying to say.

For example this material tested at 99%. It was crashing as it was off gassing in the jar due to how high the concentration of thca was. If I heat up the jar without losing any solvent, it will redissolve the thca that started to crash

9 Likes

yup, high thca cultivar, over recover at saturation point down to 30 degrees. bam cold crash.

4 Likes

I have had the fast crash, as well as the Medusa growth.

2 Likes

Hey man I was just pointing out that isobutane is the biggest contaminant in n butane. You can even check the coas posted by big oil on the gas they had tested in these threads.

Isobutane boils off at -11f and fits the description for higher pressure, exploding jars, cold crashing, and chalk-like nucleation. Pentane would remediate this as well as maintaining higher pressures than a sealed mason jar with Isobutane would allow. Move that over to a miner and you can dissolve more and keep the solution crystal clear vs milky. A milky solution is an indication of microcrystalline slowly falling out of solution. This can be seen at low pressures and negative pressures. As you apply pressure all that chalk gets pushed to the bottom but never gets fully redissolved in a jar.

1 Like

I believe it’s -11c.

1 Like

Correct my bad

Definitely cool ty

Your so off with the isobutane being the issue tho. I used to run 100% isobutane in the trap to help recovery rates for a while. Never had an issue with chalky diamonds, fast crashing or any of it.

@Waxplug1 why do you think your seeing jars that crash like that more often? We used to do the same process for years and never had jars that looked like that. My issue before was stuff took much longer to crash out, and after this gas change back in march quick crash and medusa became an issue. We were running super fire fresh frozen and its always been super high thca content. Wasn’t till march that all these issues arose.

3 Likes

That’s fine. How about trying it again and document the results. Showing some scientific method will get you farther than hating on me.

I get great diamonds with isobutane and fresh frozen and I use the terpenes as a solvent similar to pentane

1 Like

Hey John, remember your gas popping for Ethlyene Oxide back in Dec? I was hoping you’d get back with those results.

Been going through a ton of papers lately and I’d love to see that CoA!

Thanks!

1 Like