THCA crashing out during recovery

maybe tip her upside down?
fit a snorkel to recover through…

she’s built for zero G right?

:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Yeah but for ppl needing an wanting to pour I wonder how long it would take… the one pic is crashing off awful high

.I have theory on this…is it happening only w hot pack 30%thca and over or multi runs into the same pot
Could they be super saturating it somehow

1 Like

It can take an hour or more, depends on how dense the clump is or if it’s just a little crash. You can pump vapor throug if you have the right configuration.

It’s more likely to happen with higher saturated solutions but it happens when it absolutely shouldn’t due to the contaminate in the fast crash gas.

2 Likes

Glad I bought up enough gas for me to last woke when my orders plummeted after vit e they didn’t even want extra anymore so now what I’d use to use in month will last couple yrs but it’s personal stock

This is happening with the same frozen biomass that we’ve been running since last fall the same way, multiple sock runs.

1 Like

@TRIPPIE suggested I may be cold crashing before recovery because my lines where constantly clogging with thca, he recommended I up the Temps on my material chillers. I changed them from -35c to -15c and currently I’ve successfully ran 6 15lb lots with no crashing. Thank you for the advice

8 Likes

Slow recovery down towards end of stacked runs before pour. If milky and want to keep stacking runs bump with fresh gas.

1 Like

Increase recovery pressure…

2 Likes

I wonder if you could put a stainless steel ball in a cls base or a weighted food grade polypropylene ball in a cls base and use a rounded lid that has no sight glasses. The vessel rated for higher pressure than normal and shoot the ball around the base using nitrogen to break solidified pucks.

1 Like

You wanna explain how that would work? Try it with a rubber ball in your (empty) CLS and report back…I do not believe you’re gonna get much joy

5 Likes

Recently on this site, the phenomenon of selective “heads” extraction of terpenes in the cold alkane extraction of biomass has been reported.
There is some very interesting results form 2014 where using specially modified anti stokes Raman spectroscopy where researchers were able to identify crystalline forms of THCA in trichomes by a microscopic technique. They suggest that a microcrystalline state may already exist in the trichome. Something to consider at least hypothetically is that the synthase exists in a polar-protic hydration shell.
THCA anion is released (read the pertinent literature) from the active site, and falls is into the aqueous shell environment….doing so it would immediately rob the hydration shell of a Hydronium and become R-COOH acid to the dictates of pKa equilibrium forms, but the acid form of the equilibrium is NOT soluble in protic polar and immediately would be forced into a nano crystalline suspension state. It is possibly this state that is measured by the spectroscopic method mentioned above.
The alkane may then preferentially extract the terpenes in a time dependent manner (fast) only to “become” a modified terp-alkane to better extact R-COOH nanocrystalline state as a solute in a “slow-step” manner.

So when you find mcirocrystalline THCA at the bottom of the column, could it just be nanocrystalline R-COOH cannabinoic acids (chalk) that just “”settle” there? As opposed to tyring to think up a scenario for a solution state, solute-to crystalline state-” dynamic process.?

Of course one has to account for non soluble Anion locked in hydrate shell-water phase. Someone needs to take a close look at what is left behind in the hydrated biomass phase, by re-drying biomass, extract with 15 % Aqueous Alcohol…acidify to pH 2 with excess 0.01 HCl in water, LLE to pentane, and quantitiative assay for R-COOH THCA as a method to quantify residual Anion.

If the spectroscopic ID of Crystalline state THCA (H) in situ trichome capitate storage area is correct, then we have to consider that cannabinoids are distributed in 3 distinct compartments, 1. Nanocrystalline dispersion in aqueous; 2. anion solution in aqueous; 3 partition solvated equilibrium “forms” in Terpene sub volumes.

Like “fast crash” , in column solid Cannabinoid Acid seems like a feature to exploit , not a problem. Such exploitation actually requires a modicum of understanding of the Butane or Butane/Propane extraction process.

Alcohol (95%) and waterNaOH base seem like they effectively reach all cannabinoic acids in 30 sec to a minute?

this is mostly about the phenomenon of “chalk” in the bottom of the column, it does not mean that it is not possible to “fast crash” your “solvated” cannabinoic acids in the column as well.

@cyclopath …I just happened to press reply to your last post, but the blurb is in no way directed at any comment you made.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Well fuck :octopus::man_facepalming:t2:

Wait wait wait !!! This might sound ridiculous but what about making an air powered diamond crusher. In the same basic principle of the air powered column packer, you could make a shorter something like that on a triclamp… For a base lid…

Try it…watch your dab perl, then try it some more.

I don’t think it will work, and think @AlexSiegel has a better solution (Thc-a Recrystallization (alex siegel method)), but very few thought the Wright brothers could fly…

Except maybe my fellow kiwi Richard Pearce…but that was cause he got there first

folks thought he was batshit too…

1 Like

Some ideas sound better stoned lol

3 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: id say nearly all of em.

6 Likes