Its not iSoBuTaNe! A theory for cause of "Medusa"

You’re the forums biggest hater. We all saw u trolling bharris. Not sure why u like to lick dreds butthole. U guys should just post some isobutane diamonds. I just made the switch from isobutane to n butane and now I have loose diamonds? @thumper medusa=isobutane?

5 Likes

You dont think propane is?

1 Like

potentially but there are zero reports of people using propane only and having fast crash issues. But there are also not many people using straight propane.

So i dont know but I feel its kind of irrelevant.

2 Likes

I mean if we could prove that’s the case then it would explain why only butane and iso butane are effected (since butane is isomerized into isobutane)

Sounds like it’s coming from the butane

2 Likes

Anyone running straight propane who can confirm or deny?

Medusa are you NH3?
It kind of looks that way to me.

Faceted then turns to dust.
No longer in our gas we trust.

Isobutane or benzene?
some suspect it’s propylene.

A water wash, and 13x
No longer does the problem vex

So what causes chalking stones?
Do we have but more unknowns?

No, I think we’ve found it now
And this picture tells me how

@Photon_noir & @Roguelab have both shown
Crystals in ammonia grown.

50 Likes

love the delivery homie

MY MAN GOT BARS :fire:

7 Likes

I mean to be fair if you’re using straight propane the solution (once melted down) is bound to fast crash more often than not due to the properties of propane. I haven’t used straight propane for a couple years now but it used to be my go-to for saucy sugar, since it would fully crash out in a day or two.

@Dr.stanky

7 Likes

According to COA’s i’ve seen, there is Isobutane trace ppm in Propane as well, because…I believe the propane is MADE from butane.

1 Like

This makes a lot of sense and I wondered about ammonia as it did come up in my reading but couldn’t connect any dots

But the biggest issue with this theory is there has been trace amounts of Isobutane in peoples gas for EVER.

7 Likes

I am aware, what I am saying is COVID led to changes at the refineries, possibly? They mentioned peroxides… and isobutane has several kinds? There really isn’t anything else in ppm large enough within the cylinders that could contain something that messes with the mix, especially a catalyst?

The timeline matches up I think?, it was in 2020 when the issue started happening and was being talked about…so Isobutane before that was fine? :man_shrugging:

it may still be a smidge precipitous…

:shushing_face:

5 Likes

But a change in the catalyst used to make the isobutane could definitely be the culprit.

I also have a suspicion that the catalyst change could have been necessary due to the change in feed stock to the refineries. With fracking 90% of the feed stock to make butane and iso came from natural gas. Now the majority of it comes from crude oil instead.

5 Likes

I mean your not wrong, i accepted the possiblity of catalyst contamination but to say its isobutane itself is a stretch. Anyone remember how much shit popped up in greywolfs tests of just blasting butane cans and recovering/testing anything left behind after it distilled/boiled of.

It was classified as a lubricant if in not mistaken but was composed of ALOT of different things im sure 99% of us have never heard of. And yea those can mixes were generally higher on isobutane. Not to mention how many of us started with european quality butane and than switched to the south korean half off special with no issues either. The gasses now are undoubtedly higher quality. This was produced in 2022 using the same gas suppliers most are complaining of not to mention this from distillate grade material that was literal trash yielding 3-4% - booboo special, 70-30 gas.

Ima switch over to N-butane is the warmer months. Not just cause i think the other gas itself is an issue but because boiling points and the form of my diamonds are entirely dependent on my post processing is what ive learned. I havnt had medusa stones yet but i have had some nasty crashes of product poured from the same material(no where as clean as the video sugar city to be frank) and the only difference was the ovens i left them in(both turned off but also one stacked on the other.) I learned this cold season that height difference actually made a 5-7 degree difference in temp from the swings in temp at night(and thats based off numbers of me showing up in the morning after a night shift - not me staying over night when the real “temp cycle” occured

The colder ones crashed sugar and were visibly crashing the slightly warmer ones came out as beatiful in the video. The 2nd formations all along the wall were kept in even cooler conditions thst the rest and look how strangely it formed(close to freezing temp incredibly taney still)

I had 2 jars of the same pour. one was like honey, the other crashed. I think that crashing one was the one I scraped out. I mixed them stupidly and the whole thing crashed. It may have to do with agitation?

2 Likes

Something as lil as your hands warmth can “temp cycle” your solution.

2 Likes

Well propanes boiling point is like -40ish? You wont ever hear of fast crash issues until someone commits to propane extractions in a below freezing room. You wont hear of any nice diamond forth either because i have yet to meet a single person willing to meet those parameters to try and make diamonds with porpane. Youd literally have to be under freezings temps at all times to be able to attempt this possibly even more 0 to - 20. Room temp purge/crash of propane is equivalent to purging butane trying to crash diamonds out at 160 degrees, im sure you know how well that will work

2 Likes

Seems like they’re using Isobutane within their own refinement process, so they may NOT need to adhere to specific quality standards as much in comparison to us having a specific blend of solvents we need to interact properly with the acidic THC? If they made a change, it could specifically affect our industry only? Maybe? or does pharma use it as well for their own things and would they be up in arms too?

Regardless, the volume is small enough? and the refineries job is to hit a percentage of purity, nothing else, they may not mind if the catalyst isn’t replaced as frequently or they may have changed that standard to accommodate labor shortages? All hypothetical but seems very feasible to me…

An organic reaction in which removal of substituent groups takes place, is known as elimination reaction. Decarboxylation reaction is the type of elimination reaction in which a carboxylic acid is reduced to respective alkane with the removal of carbon dioxide.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t happening and nothing is being converted to isobutane.

Take care now. Bye bye, then.

Edit:

This isomerization happens in something called a butamer unit and includes the use of platinum or another metal catalyst.

In this isobutane production process, only some of the butane is actually converted to isobutane.

After the butamer process, the output mixture goes through a fractionator or deisobutanizer tower that separates the unconverted butane from the isobutane production.

TTFN

4 Likes