Mystery oil with no opinion just facts

So i would like to start off by saying I’m no expert in extraction or any form of distillation. I have been a grower for 20 yrs come next month and understand that side of the business like the back of my hand.
The whole mystery oil debate that i have read about on here is based on opinion from what i have read. I have also wondered why i continue to pass one of the most stringent testing requirements in the country for cannabis. So after some digging and a lot of reading i found some research done on what is called “mystery oil”. From the name given to the residuals found in our solvent its no wonder why people are misinformed.
Two statement stood out to me from this paper as i read thru it and looked at the numbers(which don’t lie). It is an old report btw so i am sure that the solvent being used today is even cleaner than what was used in these test.

" In chemistry, and in toxicity, there is no finite zero and if you analyze mothers milk or drinking water, you will find things like gold, arsenic, etc, at the parts per billionth level.

Poison is in the dosage, and even a 75% oxygen atmosphere will kill us mortals."

Soooo, now that we have put things in perspective, where do we go from here?

“We are planning some more testing of different brands and sources and further refined testing of all the evil spirits, but we have come far enough to know that while we would prefer to not have the unwanted contaminants in our butane, its presence is thousands, or even billions of times below published levels of concerns by health professionals.”

At the end of the day we are free to do what we like and as long as we follow the rules set forth by our governing bodies we can sell cannabis/concentrates.
We all put a different value on our time. Some of us sell our time or trade it for currency. Some of us use our currency to have more time to do what we want/like.
The choice is yours at the end of the day and i know what i will continue to choose. I really hope you read the entire report as i found it very informative.

23 Likes

Personally i distill my gas…but really not for the so called mystery oils but like ive been saying since day one here…To remove the heavier hydrocarbons like penetane and isopenetane.

Heres a quote too…

"What is removed in a single pass depends on the temperature and pressures used.

For instance, the most common residual found if the distiller elevates the temperature too high, or pulls a vacuum, is Pentane.

Pentane boils at 33.1C/97F under one atmosphere pressure. We use an 29C/85F and stop recovering at zero gauge/atmospheric pressure. Distilling hotter and recovering below 0 gauge doesn’t leave the Pentane behind.

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927384

Do we eliminate all the Pentane? No we don’t reduce the Pentane to absolute zero."

9 Likes

If I made half a million a year I wouldn’t care what anyone thought about me other than maybe uncle sam :rofl::joy:

12 Likes

I distill, im no exspert. Why not try to make your tane cleaner. The stuff at the bottom of my pot from a need tank of 7030 was a bit disgusting. To think that could have been mixed with my final product concerns me. Maybe its bad, maybe its with in acceptable parameters. Why not just remove it to make the best possible product you can

I get it time=$
But like someone likes to say about making and Toyota in a day and making a rolls take weeks months.
Just paraphrasing. Cant remember the exact numbers

8 Likes

Wouldnt you agree though after that first run your gas is distilled anyways(recovered under 85F)? So that first run is dirty oil…lets say you ran a full service concentrates shop where your distilling thc as well. if that first undistilled gas run went into the distillate thc pile rather than the diamond pile… Could this improve productivity…

Or if you ran the shittiest material destine for distillate anyways?

I distill my gas cause this is for headstash on my end…But thats cause i want the cleanest shit and dont have runs to waste…

Im not for starting bad practices or teaching people the wrong way to do thing…just playing devils advocate…looking at the production/cash side of the equation.

13 Likes

Like i said im not a scientist. So i distill

I just like to make the best hydrocarbon product i can.

If i see shit i can easy remove i do

9 Likes

probably why i distill too… LOL… New quote for the day “if you cant explain it…go with what the real scientist say!”

12 Likes

I would love to see a test result on concentrates made from distilled and nondistilled solvent. I would also like to see the difference in quality. Is anyone getting more money for concentrates made with distilled solvent. I have yet to see on any label, “made with distilled solvent” .
We could even make this a Pepsi challenge with a meet up. I would be up to buy two new tanks of solvent. I would distill one and not the other then run some material. Said concentrates would only be numbered by strain. I would put $$$ up that no one could smoke these and guess which was made with undistilled solvent.

8 Likes

Im sure your rite ppl probably could tell the difference.

I would know its there though. I would know i that i left stuff in it that i could have kept out

2 Likes

You can’t taste or detect myclobutanil in distillate, doesn’t mean it is safe or should be acceptable.

Granted, we know myclo is unsafe, and we aren’t sure about the “mystery” oil.

13 Likes

So no real definitive answer to this, just personal preference?

2 Likes

This is why we as a cultivator/manufacturer must pass CAT lll testing in California. I was extremely satisfied when not only our flower passed CAT lll but so did our extracts. As we all know, a pass on CAT lll on flower does not equate to a pass on extract from that flower.

5 Likes

If I had a multimillion dollar cultivation operation id make “full spectrum solvents” the new buzzword utilizing applied memetics just to piss people off :joy:

12 Likes

:thinking: you have a copy write on that? :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

5 Likes

i fucking died laughing at this… @qma gets it, and is right. If your fully compliant in your state and your making money in real life… Just keep the focus ahead and keep stacking racks.

10 Likes

Fuck them up woe :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

4 Likes

Wodddyyyyyyyy :money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face::money_mouth_face:

3 Likes

Theres a few producers here in CO that state on the label 99.9% distilled N-butane. I always distill when I get gas because I have gotten multiple grams of mystery oil from doing a distillation with instrument grade gas from certain companies. Even on the 2nd, and sometimes 3rd run I would get significant amounts.

One time I had to do 8 distillations before we were satisfied with it from one 45# tank. Before I switched companies the protocol was 3-4 minimum distillations run before transfilling it to a new tank. We would have a dirty tank to transfil in to and do distillations with and then once clean we would transfil to a clean bottle. That was all last year I felt like it was just dirty gas going around but who knows. Now I never see anything which makes me so much more comfortable. Ill post pics if I can.

4 Likes

Is there any other means of purifying butane? Perhaps filtration?

1 Like

I’ve been told no by the big guys… Distillation seems to be the only means

Besides you remove the heavy gases as well w distillation

7 Likes