120lbs butane tank

Thanks that helps a lot.

I want to top my solvent tank up between runs.

I assumed that since it had a diptube that it would flow as a liquid.

Correct. Diptube is for liquid withdrawal. At room temp the head space of the tank will be vapor and the solvent will have enough pressure to push the liquid butane out of the diptube.

7 Likes

Not sure what your set up is, any details?

Do you have a condensing coil and recovery tank ?

You can make the receiving vessel cold to “suck” the gas out.

7 Likes

You don’t want to push liquid butane into your working solvent tank. There’s a lot of crap solids in those tanks. Distill your gas into your solvent tank.

7 Likes

I would disagree…

That tank clearly has both liq and gas withdrawl.

You can both “push with N2” OR distill directly from it

what pressure do you imagine the head space is in this tank at 25C? (go look it up!)

what is the pressure in your “source tank” when you wish to “top it up”?

…and don’t do that. Distill. because: Mystery oil with no opinion just facts

7 Likes

Alright you just answered all my questions. Especially concerning why I wasn’t able to get any flow out of my 25lbs r600 tanks, without hot water.

I actually have only extracted in the bitter cold months of the year. The temperature in my work zone is usually 20f to 35f. According to your chart. At those temps, I would have zero to like 3psi pressure in the tank.

I guess I’ll have rethink some things.

1 Like

Not knowing the boiling point of your solvent before attempting to load your pipe bomb doesnt strike me as the correct order of business.

Not my chart.

Although a cursory search suggests I have posted it at least 40 times.

Because it’s #%*<>*£<€%,?^^! important!!!

You’re welcome…be safe.

11 Likes

Bump a little n2 in there if you don’t have enough pressure.

3 Likes

Ok u said everything I wanted to say but I’m newish here so I kept my mouth shut and simply thought to myself I hope he’s asking for a friend who already knows the answer but they don’t communicate lol.

2 Likes

So I ended up getting a big tank. And I haven’t seen some of these connections before. Did a little digging but it was hard to find info.

There’s a pipe thread on the front. It has the same thread pitch as 1/2npt, but its a tiny bit bigger than 1/2, it looked smaller than 3/4, but ill be able to find out when i get back. Im assuming this is the vapor port, is that correct?

Then there’s a big threaded connection on top sort of looks like a giant version of whats on a gas grill tank, minus the inside threads. Im assuming its connected to the disturbed and is the liquid port. Does anyone know where I can get this style fitting or even just what its called?

There also appears to be a pressure release valve on the side.

And there is a small threaded plug on the back. I unscrewed it a little bit and butane vapor came rushing out. Wonder what that’s for.

@Dmarkus_green
Propane Acme nut?

that valve should have a part number on it that you can look up.

the valve on top does look like a grill connection and side bleeder is for bleeding while filling like a traditional propane tank. the threaded fitting on the side closest to the green valve looks like a straight thread for hooking up to transfer the liquid out, but the way the valve is situated it seems like the top fitting would open first.

best bet is looking up the valve part number so you dont do it wrong.

I’ll have to find that that part number that helps a lot.

That sounds right, considering it has acme threads

So it turned out I needed a CGA555 x 1/4" Male JIC adapter. Forgot to add it with my order.

It seems the acme threaded fitting on top is just for filling the tank. I assumed there was going to be a vapor port on the tank. But it seems there isn’t.

1 Like

@cyclopath

Hey you said “That tank clearly has both liq and gas withdrawl.” And maybe I’m a little dense but I’m not sure how to withdraw vapor from it. If it’s possible it would seem to have to come from the top .

I withdrew a little liquid into a tank so I could distill it into my main tank, and there was so many black flakes.

1 Like

If I can’t withdraw liquid from it can I atleast still get a 120lbs tank with vapor withdraw only next time?

Do they still do that. There was so many black flakes it clogged the dip tube. And I had to use N2 to backwash it.

2 Likes

Sweet baby jesus I have a tank of this gas… Greaatttttt

If it only has a diptube, the only way to distil out of that tank is to flip it in its top, so the dip tube is in the headspace not in liquid.
Thats how normal tanks are/work.