Recovering to the original Butane cylinder

I’ve read a few posts here specifying that recovery to the original cylinder is do-able and an easy way to do it. I have been researching trying to find a liquid and vapor regulator I can put on the original cylinder but cannot find one. Did I get faulty advice and I should just buy a recovery vessel. Or is there a link someone can send me because I cannot find one.

More words might help, but chances are you’re gonna need to provide a picture or three.

What exactly do you mean by “Original cylinder”?

You certainly want a pressure gauge and a prv on your solvent tank if you’re trying to return solvent to it, but you won’t find a “regulator” designed for this trick

2 Likes

I’ll send a picture. It’s a standard 116# isobutane tank I had delivered by adchem.

It might be best to get a recovery tank. You can do it but I feel it’s best to be shown how to in person. I did it with the first closed loop I owned(you need a valve you can close on the injection line) close it after injection and close the liquid port you injected from. disconnect and reconnect to a line after the collection pot this obviously will need a valve as well from the pot to the line you will use to recover. SLIGHTLY thread it on not so much that the solvent cant escape you want it to "leak’ out a bit. This will purge the line and rid of any excess oxygen. Fully connect It then while purging to the vapor port (DONT open the valve all the way to purge the line just slightly as it will make it difficult to connect) once fully connected open the recovery tanks valve and that’s that. Oh and duh if you run passive you want to chill it in dry ice before hand so the solvent will flow to it. You want it to be the coldest point to successfully recover

Scratch what I said with that, I have done so with carbon steel tanks that have a dip tube inside and 2 seperate ports one for vapor and one for liquid

1 Like

Youll save time, money, your hair and safety by just getting a correct recovery tank. Thats a storage tank, it can be done but only after the going thru the top problems.

3 Likes

You should also read up on how dirty that tank is likely to be & get into the practice of distilling your solvent before attempting to make medicine.

http://future4200.com/search?q=mystery+oil

edit: yes, if you insist, you can get the genie back into that bottle via the hole it came out of. can you tell us what temp you would need to hold that tank to achieve zero back pressure?

11 Likes

dm @Killa12345 for a stainless recovery tank :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: or you can get a standard 400PSI Mstercool Recovery Tank https://www.govets.com/maintenance-repair-and-operations/hvac-and-refrigeration/mastercool-inc-service-tools-parts-and-accessories-700376620108-281-05247b15?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzYGH8KH_5gIVlODICh3WrwMfEAQYAiABEgKzRvD_BwE

Stainless tanks you can use to distill your solvent but with the standard mastercool tanks you can not

I second what everyone else is saying, get a separate recovery tank. Trying to replace the valve on that thing is way more trouble than it’s worth.

The extra hundred bucks for a normal recovery tank is worth it, easily.

5 Likes

If u Inject into the collection pot, then recover into a cleaned mastercool tank would that not work?

Then wipe out ur collection pot of mystery oil. I’ve never did this just wondering why it can’t be done. Never had mastercool tank. I went straight to Killa from day 1

BTW SS recovery tank for the win. One suited for your size

1 Like

This is what I do with my mastercool tank.

Ran across the weaponry required to release and return the genie to that stock butane tank today…

As stated above, it’s not a regulator…although I believe this one was salvaged from an acetylene regulator if memory serves me.

4 Likes