Molecular sieve beads

Yeah, going over the whole thing. Replacing gaskets, reseating valves that have clearly been leaking…all kinds of fun.

4 Likes

you know about envolope gaskets? If not, there great!

2 Likes

could say valve opening trigger happy… yes the mole sieve is part of the manifold leading from the collection base… the design really does flaw it self with it. was not my decision in the selection of machines. but that aside weve gone on and put screen vi-ton gasket, fiberglass wool, 3A beads, fiberglass wool, another vitons screen gasket in that order… and it sits vertically.

I never take my beads out jus have an inlet an outlet 3 way on my bead column an blast n2 thru beads into atmosphere after every run.
Does this not remove all the water and i should be baking?

I get 3A and 4A

I bake at 300F, over night, under vacuum.

I doubt that your nitrogen sweep is doing much to remove water from the beads unless you’re heating it first.

it is simple enough to test. take a handful of your dry beads. add a 1/4 cup of water. if you don’t have to drop them on the floor because they get too hot to handle, then they were not dry to start with (the absorption of water is exothermic).

13 Likes

I do send my n2 thru a coil thats in boiling water. But i wonder how effective.
If i have a handfull of beads an pour water on them they should get really hot??? Nuts. Ill try that thanks.

they might not get quite hot enough that you have to drop them, but they should definitely get very warm.

2 Likes

I put some 4A blue indicator beads on the top of my 4A sieve column and they have stayed blue. I regenerate the column by circulating 150F water and pulling a vacuum for an hour. Not sure how effective this is or how often it needs to be done but we’ve been doing it every 5 runs or so.

1 Like

I tried mine…

I HAD to throw them on the floor :wink:

Very quickly I might add…

3 Likes

Sorry, missed this earlier…

Yep, it’s a CLS.
Yep, separate part of everything.
why “in” my extractor?

figure we need one of them 1k work substitutes…

ETS MES viewed from back.
The two jacketed spools on the left of the picture are for the molsieve.
Loading the beads there qualifies (linguistically) as “in my extractor” no?

5 Likes

Definitely and I just misunderstood…
Ur definitely more qualified than me was just curious

And dammmn she’s got a fat booty!!! Love that backside!

What would be a sign that ones molecular sieve beads had become inactive? Would our runs start becoming more colorful because of the extra chlorophyll picked up due to the wet solvent? Would there be other signs?

Assume it’s that time.
Test them.
Dry them
Test them again.

Establish a schedule. Adjust based on pre-dried vs post-dried results on the “hot potato” test referenced above

3 Likes

The blue indicator beads on the top of the column have stayed blue. Nothing seems to be going wrong with our runs I’m just wondering what would happen if the beads stopped working?? Would it be obvious?

The PTFE / Buna combo ones? Where you getting them?

1 Like

Lines blocked by ice, or greenish extract are the customary signs that your sieves have been neglected. Drying your input appropriately, and running your solvent cold, will extend the useful life of your sieves, and indicators are a useful tool too. I still find that scheduled maintenance is better than reactive in a production environment.

6 Likes

PTFE viton on eBay…
They have other fillers also… Never see the buna filler think edpm or something

I hear someone on eBay sells them way cheaper and same quality…wouldn’t be hard to find either!!!

I scooped me up 3 of them couple weeks ago

3 Likes

I’m using pure butane, and 5a beads. Product is looking a little wet and I’m in a high humidity state. Any advise

1 Like

Just stick them in wither a vac oven and pull full vac at a high temp or just use a refular oven and turn it to 400 and let them dry out over the next few hrs. Thats how i always did mine. And weight them before and after

3 Likes