Isobutane vs Nbutane

I was given isobutane instead of Nbutane today at praxair and only noticed when I got home, over an hour away. I dont have time to go back, i had been curious about running my rig on a mix, so I distilled 25lbs. I’ve never run anything except N butane.

Will the 21 degree difference make my operating pressure much higher? Surely no higher than my nitro at 60 or 70psi.

I inject and recover through one bi directional coil. The condensing power of the coil is greater than the evaporative capacity of my collection, making it necessary to throttle the recovery. Will running a solvent that has a BP 21 degrees lower help to balance out this thermal equation? Will my coil not pull so hard on my collection with this solvent?

Also…does Isobutane pull anything different that n butane? I heard the extract has a tendency to be more orange. I will be running b80 baked under vac…so I’m hoping there’s no damn orange lol.

I did search but didn’t come up with much…but I’m hard to please.

Lesson…check your fucking tanks before you drive away. Unfortunately, I’ve learned this kind of lesson before…I knew better…or so I thought.

7 Likes

I bet you rip during recovery

4 Likes

Ntane sux anyways, be happy you got iso. Plus there are alot of places where ppl have gone through the different butanes and mixes

4 Likes

I just mixed 50/50 ntane/iso. Should be pretty sthweet.

2 Likes

So…that’s what in my 25 lb tank now as it had about been half full. I’ve got the remainder of that 25 lbs of isobutane in an lp5 tank.

I’m going to run the mix first.

Why do you think ntane sucks?

3 Likes

I touched this topic here and a couple other places

4 Likes

I just re read that thread. Thank you. Found some different things this time since my interest in isobutane recently piqued lol.

I’m looking forward to this run.

6 Likes

you know damn well that depends on what temperature you’re running… :wink:

https://bushwalkingnsw.org.au/clubsites/FAQ/FAQ_Mixtures.htm#Iso

11 Likes

Yes…absolutely.

The graph is very helpful. I just didn’t want distill, walk away from a full tank full of cold butane, and as it warms over night, have the pressure rise to an unsatisfactory level. I checked the tank every so often…pressure was fine.

I really am winging this shit…so sometimes I have to ask questions I think I know the answer to…because I’ve been wrong before. Plus yall are cool peeps to converse with…

6 Likes

I was gonna point you at the engineeringtoolbox…but they don’t have this data for isobutane. turns out some Ozzy wandering round in the bush decided folks needed it to make diner :rofl:

4 Likes

Lol that link is pretty good. My god though…for cooking? That’s a lot of thought into your stove gas lol.

1 Like

So I need to so another couple of runs to make sure other variables are not a factor…but running a heavy iso tane blend yielded me with the most amazing crashes. More terps than i know what to do with. This southern Oregon outdoor trim is my jam…

This videos was after a 25% pour off by hand. A few diamonds went with, but the point is I had to remove HTE to get this consistency. I was running this same trim prior with n butane, getting great results, but not this saucy.

I am quite satisfied with this accident.

I couldn’t get the video to upload…so here is a link

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_B-AwYn4yi/?igshid=zn2oznag4wdu

11 Likes

looks fire bro! I’ll be running a mix again here soon, can’t wait to see the outcome since I’ve been on N-tane for a while now.

1 Like

I think I’m gonna go straight iso next time I need gas. I’m super curious about running pure iso after seeing recent comments on it.

Would anyone know if r600a work, or do I need to get a full 20lb tank worth? I see some r600a cans, but I am not sure if that is clean enough.

2 Likes

I’m sure @SolventDirect has information on the subject.
maybe they can chime in without spam?

4 Likes

Lmao! Good luck with that

1 Like

Assuming they’re not interested in learning how this is done is one approach. I’d prefer to imagine otherwise. how they chose to proceed is up to them…

2 Likes

So far I’ve seen that r600a is refrigerant grade isobutane. And that for it to be considered refrigerant grade, or technical grade, it needs to be a purity level of minimum 99.5%.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://lpg-apps.org/uploads/Modules/Library/lpg-as-a-refrigerant.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiknMPNre3oAhWal3IEHUvECH0QFjALegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3OGuwrzSYGJL4fG0V6KAJP&cshid=1587054396625

Edit: I claim no authority by any means btw

4 Likes

selling as r600a is also a deliberate obsfucation in some cases.

nah man, I’m selling refrigerant, not extraction solvent…

4 Likes