Whats a safe PSI rating for a closed loop extractor

Yeah I have that chart in my screen shots for quick reference :wink:

1 Like

Im not sure if I understand. It seems that pressure is related to the volume of the container its in. If I put all the butane I use in 12x12 into a 6 x 12 its gonna overpressure right? When exposed to any temp. Im starting cold so it automatically goes up in presure. I just did a dry run, moving propane mix back into a tank through sieve. As it left the container it was 60 psi and freezing cold, At the end it was below 0 presure and in a hot water bath.
I think I may be confused also because this is my 2nd ever use of a pump.

Whats a safe PSI rating for a closed loop extractor - #48 by TheGratefulPhil

Read @TheGratefulPhil’s post again. Particularly the table.

No. Liquid/vapor Are at equilibrium unless you overfill the tank. So temp dictates pressure.

This is something you MUST understand to play this game safely

Edit: hence word choice; DEAD wrong

4 Likes

I tried but too many firestone walkers. Ill look back tomorrow. I dont use a scale either but I think a full tank of tane wont overpressure my system. I should get a scale huh?

I looked back at the chart and it matches my experience. im using a 3 way mix and pressures stay under 60.

That chart doesn’t list the three way mix.

Do you understand what the chart is telling you?

This one does (if I recall correctly) Isobutane vs Nbutane - #9 by cyclopath

Edit: Nope. Just iso/propane

1 Like

Your questions indicate that you need to do some more ground work.

Read more through the site and most of your questions will be answered. As far as your original question: will 100 psi be enough for a solvent tank holding n-butane?

The answer is yes.

Edit: if you’re using a tri-blend, the answer is probably NO

6 Likes

Some suggestion he’s using a tri-blend

3 Likes

I think you’re confusing him with the OP. He said he’s comfortable with his 12x12 holding 100 psi.

As @Soxhlet said " the slight glass "
For me i would check the quality of the threads on the hose and the threads on the connector. Not alot of people check this.

1 Like

That sight glass design s not suitable for LPG application. Glass is at its weakest in tension and at its strongest under compression. Look for a sight glass using a borosilicate wafer, rather than a tube.

6 Likes

If you use a rupture disc, check it regularly because alternate vacuum and pressure oil cans them and they eventually fail.

4 Likes

That’s some interesting information. I’ve honestly always used them on higher pressure systems so I’ve never really been concerned about pulling vacuum on them but I guess that makes sense

1 Like

why is this?

20/20/60 works well.

2 Likes

My experience hydrostatically testing 12" X `1/2" flat lids is that they are still relatively flat at 100 psi, but the lids start to bow very shortly after that and the bow lifts the lid off the gasket, creating leaks. For anything greater, I suggest hemispherical lids, so that the gasket surfaces stay flat.

9 Likes

I had a low quality source when I built it. HFS sent me two different hemi lids which were warped and couldnt seal at all. Then the 3rd time they sent a flat one and it sealed so I just accepted it. Good to know to keep it under 100, even in testing.

1 Like

I have gone to 100psi due to a clog with my crc I don’t recommend going past that if it isn’t pressure tested I usually go to 50psi max to push remaining solvent through

the only time ive gone to 100 is in pressure testing with my new nitrogen tank. I found leaks on fittings that have been on forever. I learned I really need to tighten the 12 inch clamp tight and now itll hold 100. I just built a crc but have 4 swagelok valves on it so I can bypass if it clogs.

Gas compressibility—look into the Lee-Kessler method.

Basically nitrogen is non-compressible relative to Butane.

A shitty analogy is passing butane through the compressor is like taking piece of bread or cake in your hand and smooshing it. Nitrogen would be more like rock

4 Likes