Isobutane vs Nbutane

-Vapor pressure is probably the biggest difference between isobutane vs butane. Pressure is 1.5x higher for isobutane vs butane. 45.09 PSI of pressure with isobutane vs butane at 31.2 PSI, with both at 69.8°F
-The boiling temperature of isobutane vs butane is about 19.8°F lower for isobutane.
-The chemical formula for isobutane and n butane are the same, isobutane is an isomer of butane, with a different arrangement of the atoms. Butane has a chain-like structure whilst isobutane has a branched structure. Both have 4 carbon atoms and 10 hydrogen atoms. Isobutane vs butane are constitutional isomers that have the same chemical formula – C4H10 – but different structures.

• Butane (n butane) and isobutane are classified as LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) along with propane and mixtures of these gases.
    -So, propane makes the best fuel with the highest pressure and lowest boiling point, Butane and isobutane, with their lower vapor pressure, are favored as propellants.
10 Likes

I think I’m confident enough to buy some to try.

It’s envirosafe r600a fwiw.

1 Like

Go for ecogreen

https://ecogreenindustries.com/product/r600a-isobutane-50-size-99-995-purity/

1 Like

Problem is I don’t want 22lbs of solvent at once. A 12 pack of whipit lasts me a long time already. I’d rather not spend 300 or whatever it is for some r&d when I can fill my little 4x12 tank with a few cans.

4 Likes

https://www.es-refrigerants.com/docs/30282_1251.pdf

it’s the 1% “trade secret” I’d worry about…

they also list “amine odor”, suggesting deliberately odorized.
you don’t want your extract tasting like rotting flesh do you?

https://www.google.com/search?q=amine+odor

5 Likes

That was my next step was grabbing an sds, thanks man! Was working today so was a little preoccupied.

And that 1% is definitely a nogo for sure. Looks like if I wanna play, I gotta go isobutane for awhile.

I feel you on that, I use whip-it premium 420 too to fill my 6×12. I was just saying ecogreen cause they’re known for quality and purity for extraction. I guess tapping a few cans of r600a for R&D is the way to go.

Honestly ecogreen was some of the dirtyest solvent i have used. I doubt they clean their tanks.
Just use whip it for your r&d

4 Likes

Really!!! Huh… More ya know.

We tested R-600a for mystery oil and found enough that I wouldn’t recommend using it without pre-distilling it. We standardized on 99.95% Instrument Grade, which actually tested 99.99% and after redistilling, tested 99.998% pure with regard to heavier molecules, including mystery oil.

8 Likes

Many of ya’ll may remember the Ecogreen Chinese R-600a and R-290 that hit our market market around 2012 and contained mystery oil that smelled like fish. We had previously switched from lighter butane to refrigerant grade, but that lack of quality control was one of the reasons I encouraged Jay R. to run with the offer he had from Praxair at the time.

I know Sean and can assure you that he was as surprised at the shift in quality as were we, but dealing with the Chinese adds additional unpredictable variables.

Reagent grades still have mystery oil, but more of a light film to wipe from the inside of the collection pot after pre-distilling 48lbs of it, vis a vis the puddles left from refrigerant grades and lighter fuels.

8 Likes

Yeah, I ended up staying away from refrigerant grade. Wasn’t worth the risk of having a bunch of fishy gas even after distilling it. Still using straight n tane, haven’t switched it up.

2 Likes

Hey Guys - my first post… only because I was looking online for people talking about these specific topics. I can help shed a little bit of light on a subject. I’m specific to what Butane I use… but here’s what I know.

I use Ronson or Zippo due to cost and quality. Most people dont realize that Ronson Butane has a minimum of 94% pure A-31 isobutane, it is not a propane based mixture like some competitive brands are. (There will always be some propane or n-butane regardless of brand or mixture)

Because Ronson Butane (isobutane) is not a blend, it has less contaminants than a propane/normal butane (n-butane) based mixture because it is at least 94% isobutane.

N-Butane has a vapor pressure of 17 psi, which is insufficient most consumer products to function correctly, so it is then blended with propane to raise the vapor pressure to 30-40psi. This is not as clean, and has more contaminants than Ronson Isobutane.

Ronson isobutane formula has a vapor pressure of 31 psi, which allows for optimal functionality of most consumer products that use butane. It is cleaner and contains less contaminants, resulting in less risk of damaging the internal components of your lighter and reduces the risk of your lighter clogging.

In regards to competitors stating a certain number of times refined
When they say 10x refined, they are refining it to pull out impurities which means they started with poor quality butane to begin with, or it could be they are inefficient in their processing. You could refine something once and get the same result as doing it 11 times if you do it well the first time. It could also mean it’s the number of steps in the refining process. An example would be the process of taking it from crude oil, to butane takes 10 steps so they say 10 times refined.

Only Zippo and Ronson butane are made in USA. Bernzomatic is manufactured in USA with foreign components. Remaining competitors are made in either UK, Korea or China and utilize a lot of propane.

Most butane canisters on the market have two types of tips - metal tip or plastic universal filling tip. Canisters with metal tip include universal adapters - Neon, Vector and Whip It butane fall in this category. Colibri, Bernzomatic and Zippo/Ronson brands offer universal filling tips on their canisters

Hopefully this helps shed some light… I’ve seen some other websites that outline the purity of butane and have had the best success from a cheaper Walmart brand. Additionally, for all of that people that do not live in California - Ronson makes a NON odorized that does not contain mercaptans. Unfortunately, the Odorized one does due to CA regulations requiring it.

Thanks guys!

1 Like

Puretane is American n-butane and has no propane. Capital n-butane is American and also has no propane. I’m sure there’s more American made manufacturers. Puretane is only n butane and capital makes high purity n tane and blends.

1 Like

https://www.capitalbutane.com/products/lp-239-cylinder-100-lb-99-8-iso-butane

Expensive af tho

We only source American gas as well–and scrub it all here. nButane/Iso/Propane/Blends. Our nButane has no detectable Propane testing at parts per billion.

Also, yeah that price is wild.

2 Likes

Under 200$

2 Likes

Not bad on that 120lb tank. 760 shipped. Wish they had isobutane though.

2 Likes

They should get into the isotane game.

1 Like

Isobutane for the win.

Best shit ever.

I have been just throwing a splash of n in for pouring

1 Like