Delta 10 THC

So i just found this on IG, i figured we should start a convo on how to make delta 10 thc. Obviously its possible with the right absorbent in the flask. @Photon_noir, @Future, @Deleted, @MagisterChemist, @Shadownaught any ideas?

26 Likes

look at this paper:

J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 1 , 1984, 0 , 2881-2886

D10 d9 and other isomerizations.pdf (942.9 KB)

14 Likes

Hi KingoftheKush420,
Great topic! I would also like to include this paper (link: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jm00226a003 ) I found when I was looking into the synthesis of other cannabinoids. It talks about the research and effects of delta 6, delta 10, and other thc heterocyclic analogs. I am curious to see what effects delta 10 has for vaporization and what chemistry undergoes when orally consuming it. I would imagine changing the double bond location would affect the generation of 11-Hydroxy-THC. Has anyone tried delta 10 thc?

If anyone can identify the, “specific catalyst in the distillation” or has any information on the synthesis of delta 10 thc please let me know!

9 Likes

@FranzVon, @highestzen made it im pretty sure, i highly double he will just give up the catalyst used in the flask though :wink: i think together we can figure this out, theres alot of smart people on here.

12 Likes

Exactly what i thought its an alkaline absorbent of some sort

2 Likes

I can’t find the damn post for the life of me, but in a discussion on D8, there was one member here who posted chromatography results comparing T5 and T41 in the BF. It looked like T41 was making WAY more D10 and comparatively very little D8.

7 Likes

The paper from 1984 reports using n-butyl lithium (extremely dangerous and air sensitive reagent) to pull of that proton. It must need a small, strong base. My thoughts point towards sodium or potassium hydride (just as dangerous as n butyl lithium).

7 Likes

Ive noticed this, this is why i dont use t41 and use t5 in the flask. Me and columbo knew t5 made d8 months ago even though elliot at summit claimed it wouldnt.

13 Likes

Dam these 2 papers are mind blowing…

6 Likes

Im sure we can all figure it out. Im glad you tagged @Photon_noir above. He helped me with another cannabinoid synthesis project (link: THC-O-acetate synthesis). @Soxhlet and @Psilisophical were also highly knowledgeable and helped. Maybe they know of this mystery catalyst or could point us in the right direction.

4 Likes

Yea im goin through Scifinder now to see if i can find anything new

1 Like

If it’s true that D10 can crystalize, this could be huge for hemp distillate THC removal. Crystalize the CBD, convert the THC in the mother to D10, crystalize out the D10, then add mother back to isolate. The only issue I see would be converting ALL the cannabinoids in the mother to D10, not just the D9.

15 Likes

guys if you want d10, all you need to is heat the shit out your oil in reflux under deep vacuum. No catalyst needed. 250+C for 8 hours…you will be at least 70% d10.

But…if you do you will find the d10 is significantly less potent than d9 and d8. There is a reason people complain when their oil converts to d10, its becomes really really weak.

11 Likes

Do you have any papers on this or detailing why this happens? I cant find the paper/article but I remember reading that when scientists were trying to figure out the active ingredient in marijuana they first thought delta 8 or delta 10 because they were thought to be either energetically favorable or more stable compared to delta 9.

Also 250C+ for 8 hours under deep vacuum sounds like a real pain considering most distillations take place 190C-220C. Not saying it isn’t possible but for safety and time sake I think a catalyst is needed.

9 Likes

I think delta 8 will turn into delta 10 if you isomerize it enough. I posted a messed up chromatograph a while back and it was made with c bleach in the flask first and second pass i believe. I had close to 40% d10 we think ill find the link

3 Likes
3 Likes

Has anyone looked at this by GC? I have and I see 2 peaks very close to each other. d10 has the potential to form 2 diastereomers. I’ve got no evidence that the peaks are disastereomers but it might make sense. If I could see the EI-MS splitting pattern, this would help. Just in front of d9 on my method. It’s a solid. I have a sample I got from someone who isolated it, the peaks match. When you look at the material on HPLC ppl call it CBC. As of yet no one has shown me its UV-vis spectrum.

The conditions described in the 1984 paper are interesting. I don’t think anyone has a base like n-BuLi, my understanding is that the clays described are acidic. Anyway, a quick GC will save you from using it in any products.

10 Likes

I have a point of contact that can try this on distillate.

5 Likes

yea i cant find too much rn w/o credentials so ive been looking into how isomers were made using hexahydrophenanthrene and working up from there lol but some are acid/base catylyzed

2 Likes

I’m in the Bay Area, let me know. I have the sample given to me (80% by NMR I was told) I can spare a little bit. I also have oil somewhere with 30-40%.

1 Like