THC-O-acetate synthesis

Hello,
Does anyone have experience or a procedure for making THC-O-Acetate? Ive seen Chris from The Clear post about its sedative effects aka “sleepy time”. Ive seen articles saying its 300% more potent then THC. Skunk Farm has a procedure but it doesn’t give enough details or explain what is going on.

Skunk Farm link: THC Acetate | Skunk Pharm Research

Thanks,
Franz

2 Likes

Found a more detailed procedure in Cannabis Alchemy. Still wondering about details of this procedure: 1.) Does it need to be completely in a nitrogen environment or can it be in a well ventilated one as well? 2.) It appears in this procedure that excess acetic anhydride is used and then distilled later to remove it. This is based on my stoik math. Wondering if this is true. 3.) Should the THC acetate be distilled after synthesis to purify it? If so what is the boiling point if THC acetate? 4.) Why does this method not call for sulfuric acid?

If anyone is willing to help it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Franz

I forgot to include the link. Here it is: THC Acetate - Kind Green Buds

2 Likes

Always been curious but pretty much stopped my research after learning acetic anhydride is extremely difficult to obtain.

3 Likes

Hello Ions71. Im glad someone is getting this discussion rolling! Its true that acetic anhydride is hard to obtain but not hard to synthesize. A one step synthesis of acetyl chloride and sodium acetate will yield decently pure acetic anhydride. Distill it using a fraction column and it yields reagent grade acetic anhydride. A link of this being done is included below. The chemicals and process is inexpensive (providing you have an organic chemistry setup) and when you take account that the reagents are going to add 25% more mass to the THC they basically pay for themselves.

Link: - YouTube

11 Likes

The only downside to acetate is the short shelf life.

3 Likes

How short is short? Does inert gas storage not work as well?

1 Like

Left to the air within a few hours it become “salad dressing”. I imagine inert atmosphere could protect it, it’s just not practical to make in batches larger than you would consume.

2 Likes

how large a batch have you consumed? :wink:

3 Likes

Have you synthesized thc acetate? If not where did you read it turns into “salad dressing” after exposed to air after a few hours? Would vacuum or a nitrogen atmosphere work?

Excess acetic anhydride could easily cause this as well as water or side products from the reaction.

A few dabs, maybe .3g all together. The smoke was harsh, and it left my head spinning, the onset was a little sluggish. A few hours later I returned for another “experiment”… (getting high). I smelled the petri dish I evaporated it on, it smelled gross. So it was tossed out.

4 Likes

Most likely wasn’t fully nutralized. This was back in college

3 Likes

How did you synthesize it? So far ive only heard of one person using a catalyst and no one bothers to purify by distillation after synthesis. Im thinking of neutralizing the freshly synthesized thc acetate with a hexane/salt water wash and then distilling the washed product under vacuum.

1 Like

This is what I did back in like 2013-14 THC Acetate | Skunk Pharm Research
I did not re distill the result, I was under the impression that this would destroy the result?

2 Likes

That is the only document that has sulfuric acid as a catalyst. From the pictures it looks like it produced side reactions because the synthesized product looks dark. I wonder if sulfuric acid is to strong or even if a catalyst is needed.

1 Like

I’m gonna bet that @Photon_noir has input on this one.

I know we’ve got several other chemists around here who could share from personal experience.

especially now that I’ve pointed out it could be done anonymously… :thinking:

but how do you page a chemist?

@discobot page chemist!

3 Likes

@terphunterTJ you got any imput?

Acetylated THC is simply a prodrug of THC. The acetate has to be metabolised off the molecule before it becomes psychoactive THC. The acetate does not get it anywhere more easily (like through the BBB) or potentiate the effects of THC… it acts like THCa until the acetate is removed by metabolic deacetylation, basically.

17 Likes

@Pharmer_Joe, @FranzVon would love to hear more about your THC-O-acetate tek. Any updates since 2012 when you made your thc-acetate post?

1 Like