Color remediation chromatography

Continuing the discussion from I keep hearing/seeing "plasma" sold, im intrigued:

Anyone doing such fractional pours care to elaborate on chromatography vs scrubbing with your CRC?

@murphymurri perhaps?

14 Likes

The person I know who does fractional pour of CRC learned from Murphy herself. Out in Adelanto. Looks amazing. Very impressed with the clarity. I could see how someone could brand it “plasma”. Gross name, but impressive product

2 Likes

Can someone elaborate what fractional pours means?

Is this like using your crc column like an actual chroma column? Taking fractions off it and keeping then separate from each other?

7 Likes

Thats exactly how I have always interpreted it.

4 Likes

Last time I checked, she charges for that info :wink:

My limited understanding is that one can utilize the gases and gas mixtures either in vapor or liquid phase to take fractions, depending on the fraction that is desired and the media being used.

6 Likes

Recovering to multiple collection vessels throughout the round. One for the first 1/4-1/3 of the extract,
The rest to the next??

2 Likes

My theory is that they are using multiple gases with different parameters( temp, pressure). First extract with a pure propane through the chromo bed and collect your terpene fraction and recover propane. Next run a butane heavy blend to get the remaining cannabinoid fraction. I don’t have the proper equipment to run pure propane otherwise I would have tested this.

7 Likes

absolutely…presumably there are others who might be more forthcoming

I’m getting pressure to set up multiple Aquatek columns for a hemp extraction facility, and I’m both trying to wrap my head around the utility of this strategy and a rational implementation on an EX-80.

I’ve done plenty of chromatography over the years, I just don’t understand the mechanics of getting the goods loaded onto the column(s) in this case. generally you load in one solvent, then elute with another. or load very concentrated, then elute with clean solvent.

In order to extract the 80lb of material, I need about 200lb of solvent. In order to subject that 200lb of oleoresin carrying solvent to chromatography, one has to actually get all the goods loaded onto the column without washing them through. just running 200lb solvent through the column and collecting aliquots every 10lb does not actually fractionate the input in any real sense. unless it takes more than 200lb of solvent through the column before the first interersting stuff starts eluting.

to me that suggests I need to recover most of the solvent before loading onto the column, down to well less than a bed volume I would imagine. the bed volumes I’ve seen folks using look pretty small.

no idea what I’m missing. hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

my current working hypothesis is that my handler doesn’t understand the problem, and is asking for this based on their instagram feed. which might even make sense if we weren’t extracting hemp.

12 Likes

yeah, but that doesn’t pull ALL of anything if performed using the primary extraction. if say that second 1/4 was exactly what you wanted, you’ve still got half your extraction that hasn’t seen the magic dirt yet, so there is a whole lot more of exactly what you want, that you don’t have…but the stuff you don’t want now starts eluting, along with the good stuff you’re throwing in behind it to elute with (bed volume to loading volume is important, and the ratio seems way off to me).

@rowan?

9 Likes

Few that was confusing to read. Lol

I’m just wondering if it’s fractions off the run.

5 Likes

Man, I couldn’t have imagined I would help spark this convo, cheers gents!

I look forward to following this thread.

3 Likes

Some of you guys got them good brains, a little gooderer than mine.

Love to see thought experiments at play.

sooo… lets say you pull four “fractions” from 10lb of solvent, and have a bed volume that accommodates 2.5lb of solvent.

lets imagine that fraction 2 has “all the terps”…how about the terps in the last 2.5lb that hasn’t even entered the column?

you certainly didn’t pull those terps.

11 Likes

I would extract the total volume of biomass with whatever desired amount of solvent, and just split it into a few different collection vessels as it leaves the material column.

This isn’t for me to bring product to market this way, was more so thinking of pulling some ultra fire head stash for myself.

This is something @TwistedStill and I have talked about doing

3 Likes

what about 2 systems that share a material column.

you do a first light wash with solvent A through chroma column A into collection A and recover into tank A
then 2nd wash with solvent B through choma column B into collection B and recover into tank B

??

3 Likes

which certainly seems counter to the mission when presented with 40k lb of Hemp…

my current approach is to implement the same “scrub” style CRC that I’ve used in the past, and grab one of the chroma style for R&D. I’d still like to wrap my head around how folks are actually using these things.

the above sounds great…but it seems to me that using the primary extraction as the elution solvent is always going to result in muddy fractions. so what the (*&$@#)(_)(#$@ am I missing?!?

Seems a lot easier to execute with something like pentane that could be in glass

2 Likes

Touché. What I described is more like fraction batching.

if such “inline” chromatography allowed the facile production of THC compliant CBD, I’d be all over it. I don’t believe it will in it’s current implementation, but then again, I clearly don’t understand the current implementation, so…

4 Likes

This is why I don’t look at instagram. It’s full of rabbit holes that may or may not be lies…

(lies = misleading information)

5 Likes