Will CO2 extractors last in the industry?

Anytime you see the italics (especially when encompassing whole phrases) implies sarcasm. I don’t know if it’s that way everywhere, but I do know it’s that way here. It’s ok also, it’s hard to bring things across through articulation sometimes. I cuss as a means to better articulate myself, but some people see that and instantly think they’re being berated. When the reality is, that I like to cuss!
Either way, you know now and that’s what matters!

2 Likes

Thing is once someone gets a CLS they rarely look back to CO2. CO2 leaves so much money on the table. haha I know once I get my hydrocarbon lab up my CO2 machine is going up for sale ASAP. No one will want it, then I will be sad. Then I’ll remember I have a hydrocarbon lab, and my sadness shall fade. :joy:

3 Likes

I think this new diamond tek may have something to do with a co2 extractor.

If you want to use co2 as an anti solvent you need a reactor capable of co2 pressures a co2 machine is just a small reactor really if set up right.

And they work great for fractioni g terps from material

2 Likes

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C38&as_vis=1&q=supercritical+fluid+co2+antisolvent+crystallization&oq=supercritical+fluid+co2+antisolvent+crystal#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3D44C28npZnnIJ

2 Likes

Italics for sarcasm caught on around here right around the beginning of 2020… maybe late '19.

2 Likes

That such chromatography is already a thing…

And on my to do list.

As @Capttripppp was kind enough to explain, the “sarcasm font” around here is ALL italics.

Betting me I can’t do some thing is a sure fire way of getting me to try…

5 Likes

Thanks for the link and explanation. My apologies for not understanding the italics thing.

it really depends on what system you are running and how you want to set up your facility and what you want your end product to be.

CO2 is a great method for extraction.

Co2 extraction will be bigger as the years go on. Those guys in large facilities are just learning what they can do with them. You can collect many different fractions if you do it right.

3 Likes

Has anyone found a viable method of extracting THCA without grabbing waxes in the same fraction?

9 Likes

I think if you shake a plant hard enough u can do that

6 Likes

Not to my understanding. When I try and pull off THCa the waxes always come with it :frowning:

2 Likes

Maybe you can remove the waxes in a second step after it’s been extracted with certain parameters. I’ve never done co2 but if I had the chance I’d experiment with water as a cosolvent for removing the waxes and maintaining “solvent” free.

2 Likes

Is it the low cost scalability or the top shelf quality of the end products you like about CO2 extraction?

2 Likes

Both in my opinion high quality end product for edibles no smokable products though.

EDIT: It’s also nice to not have to work with hydrocarbons on a large scale.

1 Like

If only there were a 3rd solvent

2 Likes

Limonene sure is rad

EDIT: If I could build a facility of my dreams it would be a facility that utilized limonene as a solvent. Obviously not for dabbable production.

3 Likes

I have centrifuged my terpenes before if they come through cloudy. That seems to work well, but it’s a pain in my ass. Also it seems everyone who is running for terps keeps there columns much colder that me at around 75f. I run my columns at 89f and the product i get needs no color remediation at all. Its super light yellow, almost clear looking. Yields are dismal (as with CO2 in general) around 1%, but the quality is very nice. Thinking about trying 76f and maybe doing some post processing to help with the red color. By dropping the temp like that it gets you into the subcritical range and actually increases the density of that CO2 (compared to 89 at 1.1k).

1 Like

They are great machines for getting every little last drop of a target compound extracted from plant material and they don’t have any fire safety requirements so you can get one up and running in your city faster than any other machine. Other than that they don’t have any benefits, at least not for cannabis. A small CO2 machine probably has more value in extracting DMT from root bark or something like that.

4 Likes

Ahhhh shittt. Now we are talking!! Haven’t done DMT in forever. Last time I did it I closed my eyes and something turned on the lights behind them. It was crazyness. Like from complete darkness to being in a well lit room all while having my eyes closed. Then I spent 15 minutes chasing a magical fairy like lady who wouldn’t talk to me… haha

6 Likes