Centrifuge w fritted filter

Turns out this will depend on your rotor, for instance, the beckman Aries rotors have 50g of self balancing up their sleeves…

I had been planning on adding 100g of said magic to our rotor…

2 Likes

@cyclopath
I am stuck here. got a Beckman Allegra 6 with the GH-3.8 rotor and buckets.
does anyone know if the stainless jars and the jar inserts on Chemtek’s site with fit the GH-3.8 buckets??

Everything on Chemtek’s site says it’s for the L550… will it all fit into the GH-3.8 rotor/buckets that come with the beckman?

I’m down to use glass jars and fuge bags as well, I don’t necessarily need the nice SS jars and baskets.
but I’m eager to get this thing running. just need some jars/spacers that I know will stay put once it gets spinning.

this is our rotor/buckets - Beckman Coulter Buckets For Gh-3.8 Rotor, Model 360589, Nib, Set Of Four - Industrial Lynx

2 Likes

Do jars fit?

Then the stainless will too.

They list as 750ml. Which will work, but might require a spacer (they 3D print reasonably well), or different hardware.

To be honest I’m not currently sure if I’m running 4x 600ml or 750ml buckets. I’ve used packing foam for spacers in the 6x1000ml beckmanns.

1 Like

Sorry, I guess I meant do the spacers* fit?
the widemouth glass jars fit in the buckets but there’s some space around them. I was wondering if the widemouth spacers on chemtek will work with my bucket.

but if you are just using packing foam, then it sounds like I am overthinking it.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen the Chemtek spacers, but if you look at how the oem does other tube sizes, it’s clear that “spacers” are pretty standard.

I had another member here print these for me…

IMO, using a 600ml bottle in a 750 (or 1000)ml rotor is wasting space that could be holding hash. Yeah, it gets it spun, but custom containers get you more hash faster than custom spacers.

I haven’t bothered with either. Just using the oem buckets without secondary containment probably gives the best bang for your buck.

The foam needed replacement every 10hrs or so.

3 Likes

thank you good sir!

2 Likes

Use a nice piece a cloth… literal socks work fairly well. Used the same pair for about 3 years myself.

3 Likes

I’m gonna try this. Because I just got the spacers and they fit the buckets great but the mason jars are loose as hell in them.

2 Likes

just reporting back to say you guys are awesome.

First spin on the new set up. 30 minutes at 1300rpm.
too fuckin easy.

8 Likes

Amazing info in this thread!

Ive found a cheap centrifuge on ebay but unsure whether the ss jars go straight into the centrifuge instead of the buckets

or do the ss jars go inside of the buckets?

The buckets are 7.5cm x 10cm

The jars go into your buckets

1 Like

Ok thanks!

So ive got to find jars with the exact dimensions of 10cm x 7.5cm or can they be slightly smaller

Please read the previous convo before your post, the last 10comments or so regard exactly your question.

4 Likes

I have read them comments but still confused on where to find any type of jar or ss container with similar dimensions of 10cm x 7.5cm

I spent hours looking last night and wondering if the type of centrifuge is cheap because of the obscure dimensions for the buckets

Looks like those have 280mL baskets, most have 500-1000 for bigger units

You’d probably be best with a 50/100mL tube adapter, you might be able to find an 8oz jar that fits

1 Like

thank you!

mason jars are fine. Just be sure to use some foam or a some kind of a spacer to ensure the jar isn’t moving around in the bucket.

Do you?

What have you read on the subject?

No amount of reading will magically make jars that fit your buckets appear. Understanding that BEFORE purchasing could certainly have been achieved…

Have you noticed that there are relevant links both at the top of the thread, and interspersed through out?

Eg: from Separation Anxiety (mechanical)

Starting here may help: YOC Dirty Diamond Tek - THCa isolation from Crude

These are pretty close to a 16oz canning jar. Unfortunately they won’t fit in your rotor.

7.5cm x 11cm is 530ml, so chances are you’re (also) looking for a 500ml/16oz container.

If jars don’t fit, what are your options?

1. build spacers
  2. build support and screen
  3. try another fuge
1 Like

Managed to find suitable sized mason jars secured with foam inserts, 25 micron rosin bags and approx 90min at 3500rpm in the fuge and the results are incredible.

By far the most impressive way after spending years decarbing in a sealed mason jar, the difference in potency from the properly de-carbed THCA is very noticeable

Also tested out cottonless carts from a vendor here and they are equally impressive, the difference in the taste of terpenes is big compared with the other 3 cotton based carts I was using

1 Like

Be careful with high RCF and glass jars. They shatter quite easily

2 Likes