CannaDrip Water-Soluble THC Syrup

Continuing the discussion from THC syrup:

When posting here please be as specific as possible about equipment, temperatures, ratios, quantities, times and procedures. The more clearly you pose your question, the higher quality the response you will receive.

Please demonstrate you have followed scientific procedure before asking for assistance.

CannaDrip Syrup

Items Needed:

• Immersion Blender
  • 2-3x 1,000ml Pyrex Graduated Beaker
  • 1x 50ml Pyrex Graduated Beaker
  • 1x Heated Magnetic Stirrer
  • 2x Glass Stirring Rods
  • 1x Large Stock Pot
  • 1x Whisk
  • 1x Magnetic Stirrer Bead
  • Scale (.01-500g preferred)
  • Measuring Cups

Ingredients Needed:

• Approx. 10g Cannabis Extract (Decarbed)
  • Equal Amount as Cannabis Extract Sunflower Lecithin (MUST BE SUNFLOWER)
  • 1 ½ Cup Water
  • 1 Cup Granulated White Sugar
  • 800mL Honey
  • 4-8 Koolaid Flavoring Packets. 2-4 packets per 1000mL graduated beaker. (I use Koolaid, you can use any flavor you want just remember you are making syrups and not a drink. You will need double the amount of powder for some flavors like Pineapple to get the taste correct)

Step 1:
Take your 50ml beaker and scale out 10g of Decarbed Cannabis Extract.

Step 2:
Take the same beaker and tare the weight and scale out equal parts sunflower lecithin. (1:1 Ratio is needed to properly emulsify the oil)

Step 3:
Place your 50ml beaker on your heated magnetic stirrer and make sure the oil and the lecithin reach an even temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the glass stirring rod to help move the mixture and distribute the heat evenly. Once you reach the desired temperature you can add in the magnetic stirrer bead and allow it to blend for 5 minutes.

Step 4:
While you’re waiting the 5 minutes for your concentrate mixture to blend, take the 1,000ml beaker and fill with 800ml of Honey.

Step 5:
By this time your mixture should be blended enough to be taken off the heated magnetic stirrer. Take your 1,000ml beaker and put it on your *heated magnetic stirrer and bring the honey’s temperature up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Use the glass stirring rod to help move the honey around for even heat distribution.

Step 6:
Once the honey reaches the desired temperature, take your 1:1/cannabis extract:sunflower lecithin mixture and bring up the temperature to prepare for mixing into the honey. Make sure that both the honey and your 1:1 mix are within the same temp range and begin infusion. I recommend using the glass stirring rod to move the honey as you mix in the 1:1 mixture.

Step 7:
With your emulsion blender ready at your side, begin mixing at medium-high speed. You will notice the color begin to change on your honey, keep a close eye on the color as you should be looking for a golden blonde color as an indicator that you have done this step successfully. Do this process for a minimum of 10 minutes.

Step 8:
Now that you have your syrup base made, we are going to thin it down with some simple syrup. In your large stock pot, add 1 ½ cups of water and 1 cup of granulated sugar on high heat. Make sure that all the sugar is melted into your simple syrup and you are ready to add in your syrup base.

Step 9:
On low heat now, take your emulsion blender and on the highest setting we are going to blend the simple syrup and our syrup base together by pouring the honey mixture into the stockpot. Blend for 5-10 minutes and once you are finished you are going to pour the syrup into equal amounts in two 1,000ml beakers. Cover the beakers with cling wrap and place in the fridge for 1 hour.

Step 10:
Take the beakers out of the fridge and skim the tops of the liquid as best you can or strain through a fine mesh screen. Once the tops have been skimmed you are now ready to add your desired syrup flavoring. Make sure to taste as you go to flavor to your preference. When using Kool Aid brand flavor packets, you will find that some flavors need more than others. For example, the pineapple flavor needs 4 packets of flavoring, while cherry only needs 2 packets. Add your packets in small increments at a time and mix well with a whisk or blender.

Step 11:
You are now ready to fill any container of your choosing with the syrup and enjoy! Congratulations on making Canna-Drip Syrup.

Credits: C-Bass13

28 Likes

In the old thread you said you had started mixing the whipped sugar back into the syrups.

Have you stopped mixing it back in and gone back to removing it? Or is that just a leftover from the original write-up?

2 Likes

Is the end product water soluble?

1 Like

Great write up. I’ll be giving this a go next week Roughly how many ml does this create?

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing.

How does it look/behave, when mixed with beverage?
Many want syrup, that mixes like that codein syrup. Seems to me that a “bottle flip” is a very important aspect for the consumer.
At least where I live

1 Like

Joe said it was around 1250ml in the THC syrup thread when all finished. But I don’t know if that was with the foam spooned out or not

1 Like

Making an educated guess here but your referring to the viscosity? I’d imagine if u added agar you could get there

1 Like

A mix between solubility and viscosity, yes.
I had a customer who came up to me with the task to create a syrup that behaves like “real Lean”. Those were some weird people, but it was a fun project.

My first trials included xantham gum and honey. It dissolved like a half molten gummy bear. Very upleasant to watch.
I ended up with a noemulsion, because it was the only way I could create that viscosity in combination with a translucent appearance.

1 Like

Is nobody using maltodextrin/MCT to make water soluble at home? If not I have a tried and true method that gives you a powdered distillate ready to make into syrups, Kool Aid mixes, or whatever other water soluble mix you desire.

2 Likes

Mortar and pestle tek? Powdered MCT has a main ingredient of malto dextrin and I have a feeling that’s what’s preforming the magic there.

Edit: doesn’t make anything water soluble just gets in the the glass for yah :call_me_hand:

5 Likes

Oh? Do tell….

2 Likes

MCT and SAIB are the most common emulsifiers for drinks here in WA

Sucrose esters halfway work(fairly stable emulsion, but weird foam bubbles)

1 Like

It works great for hot chocolate and hot tea, also hot coffee and hot chai!
But no MCT
Straight maltodextrin

1 Like

It should be mentioned that most grocery store honey is counterfeit, in that other sugars have been blended into it as a filler. If you want real honey, you often need to know the bee keeper. The color of the honey can vary quite a bit, depending on season and location.

6 Likes

No magic, just easy to make and not anything patented or special. You mix the distillate with the MCT oil at an even ratio, giving you an oil tincture. Then you use that tincture mixed with tapioca maltodextrin and THEN, you use that mix to make flavored syrups or what have you. Not trying to say I’ve unlocked any secret, but this method makes a totally water soluble syrup that dissolves completely without much agitation at room temp.

1 Like

The end product is water soluble

1 Like

I still mix it back in. Its a quick process and shouldn’t be done for more than 15-30 seconds.

2 Likes

I normally fill around 22-24 2oz bottles. Sometimes I have a bit more water in the formulation to thin the syrup out. Normally I will add a bit more water when I formulate with more than 12g cannabis extract.

1 Like

The whole point of this process is to encapsulate the oil droplets so they can be stable in a water based formulation. The emulsion blender does an ok job at this and sunflower lecithin is specifically used for this specific “water based emulsion formula”

1 Like

All you need is natural honey. If it crystalizes then its real honey. I buy mine from webstaurant.com

1 Like