Anyone bought the darkcitymolds gummy sop?

Hey all. I was wondering if any of you guys have bought the darkcitymolds gummy and pectin sops? I’m looking for feed back on them and what your experiences have been.

5 Likes

Dark City Molds makes an excellent product. Their marketing department is really tight and I wish we could run our operation like that. I would trust their off the shelf SOP if I needed it.

That said, if you are willing to do the leg work, the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner has all the information you could ever need to make an amazing gummy SOP yourself.

11 Likes

Wondering the same thing about this sop and others for sale on here as I’m getting into gummy production at my new job.

What separates them from the great recipe @MillerliteRN has given for free?

I don’t mind paying for something good but I will be pissed if I spend 2-4k on something that is here.

@darkcitymolds @mgucci what would the major differences be without giving away your special sauce?

4 Likes

for the price they offer it I got gummy lessons from a Savage Bros consultant. Just pay them, unless you want to learn how to be a chef.

@mgucci is a good guy too if you’re looking for gummy stuff.

5 Likes

Nothing but love for the MillerliteRN thread and @MillerliteRN himself. The number of people who have entered into gummies through that thread is what makes this forum great. For some, this may be the better fit and we encourage them to take it.

Speaking to our SOP, it is designed to provide a thorough framework for learning the scaled implementation of pectin gummy production (hydrocolloids, wet and dry sugars, acids, buffers, etc.) + the chemistry of structuring water. The aim here is to ensure that operators establish mastery of the necessary CCPs (pH, brix, Aw, temp) to build a virtually limitless SKU library of varying flavors, colors, textures, shapes, and actives.

This understanding, along with DCM support, sets you up to make better decisions re: batch planning, workflow design, labor efficiencies, rapid scale ups, etc. It will also assist with mold strategy, facility layout, set/cure tech, and coating decisions. The better you understand the interplay here, the healthier your operation.

Deliverables include:

-Chemistry Overview
-R&D Framework: Dialing in consumer metrics
-Smart Excel for Batch Scaling
-Detailed Procedural: Target temps, CCPs, transfers, durations
-Sourcing Appendix: Ingredients & equipment
-Meter Recommendations
-Up to 4 Consultation Q&A Sessions, if you get stuck (few need more than 2-3)

Feel free to DM, text, or call to discuss your specific goals: 8283337414. Hopefully those running it can also chime in with first hand experience.

16 Likes

My buddy grabbed a SOP from them. It worked well but side to side with my sop I felt my gummies had more adjustability on the cure to determine texture. (can be bouncy or firm) and I felt like mine tasted a lot better. (Mine tasted more like a trolli gummy worm while his tasted like a natural grocers gummy. When it came to scaling up SOP and ease of following he had a really easy time and had continued support from dark city molds

7 Likes

Thanks for the feedback. All elements like flavor and texture can be adjusted. Flavor, for example, depends on the flavor you source. Feel free to call if you’d like to walk through the options.

2 Likes

I’d recommend just developing your own, any sop you buy you will have to adjust to every flavor which is why I don’t even use the sop that I purchased and made my own which is based off the pacific pectin gummy sop they provide on their website.

You can save that money with a little leg work and r and d

3 Likes

I’m no gummy connoisseur, but your gummies mouth feel are money imo.

Besides this, I don’t have any input for this thread lol

6 Likes

you like how it feel in your mouth huh?

8 Likes

Time is money and these guys saved me a lot of both. I run their pectin SOP and they have been great from the start.

My questions have advanced from noob nonsense (I tried my best not to ask them) to more specific. I only needed 2 phone calls with them… the one before I signed up and one a year later (life got in the way - had a daughter) and when I finally got to cooling I had them on the phone for an hour after I tried making gummies twice and they answered my questions and everything went well.

I managed to cook proper gummies after 4 attempts following their SOP and advice as I went. People who have tried them have given me great reviews and even asked for them with no oil in them due to the texture lol.

I had a fair amount of custom molds made by them (all Rose Pro) and they did them quickly and they are really great molds. The whole “demolding bottleneck” is no joke. My bud used to make gelatin gummies in the molds from Amazon and I disliked the amount of effort popping them out required.

My best advice for anyone is: hire them and do what they say… buy the equipment and follow their SOP and get with their recommendations in terms of suppliers for flavors and coloring, for example.

Bottom line: worth the $, the company is run by nice, easy and knowledgeable people who want to see you succeed and they saved me a lot of time (money) by helping me become a gummy cook in only 4 attempts.

Also: there are no shortcuts (IMHO) with a quality gummy product and certainly not with pectin but when it’s summer and your buddies gelatin gummies melt and assuming you go with pectin, you will be happy…

Cheers everyone

8 Likes

I need to send you my new formulation to try

You won’t even be able to taste the cannabinoids anymore even at 100mg a gummy :wink:

7 Likes

Extra juicy, daddy

3 Likes

Nothing but positive experiences with the dark city SOP. Gummies are the best I’ve ever had and the customer service is super tight. Put several industry friends onto it and have heard similar feedback,

2 Likes

The support you give your customers was nearly unmatched man so keep that shit up!

2 Likes

id love to check it out

Thank you @Ahay5280. That means a lot.

2 Likes

Great to hear. Thank you for the referrals.

3 Likes

This. Exactly my experience.

1 Like

We purchased the Pectin Gummy SOP and Rose molds and have nothing but positive things to say. You will need to document every batch to dial it in fully, I think it took us 20 runs to be dialed in and then scaled up from there. Climate, texture, etc… will all be factors. Scaled up the batches by 3X-10X and everything is perfect so the formulas are great. For me having a base to work with is crucial to perfecting something.
I have had Colorado REC owners, operators and workers say our gummies are the best they have ever had, as well as many many customers say the same thing. We are a CBD company FYI.

2 Likes