Anyone bought the darkcitymolds gummy sop?

I’d just read the stuff I linked in my thread first

5 Likes

Yes. This is good info. Remember when you posted it originally.

Comes down to the question of time vs money and which you have more of. We can get you up and running faster or you can drill down into the nitty gritty yourself and learn from trial and error. Neither is wrong.

6 Likes

67 posts were split to a new topic: Off Topic Gummy Mold Talk

No better starting point than the Dark City SOP. Will save you tons of ‘idiot tax’ up-front — much more than you pay for the SOP

Lots of detail. As you practice & understand the material, you will be able to modulate the provided formula to your preferences with ease.

Some folks above saying there are cheaper ways to learn / get a formula. Of course there are. But alternatives cost you a lot of time. And if you are serious about your business, the cost of the SOP pales in comparison to the time expense of the alternatives.

6 Likes

Evan, founder/owner gets so the credit for their marketing. He does a fantastic job. In a large part, because he authentically cares about the space and is passionate and the product.

I know dozens of items who swear by the DCM SOPs and his molds are top notch. I highly recommend his products and services.

If you’re getting started and have some capital, buying the SOP is like paying for the premium pass at Disneyland. You are on the same ride as everyone else, but faster.

5 Likes

Just got off the phone with him and I gotta say I have not talked to anyone more knowledgeable in gummy production and scaling. We went the diy route and worked up our gummy recipe from scratch starting with @MillerliteRN’s recipe a couple years ago changing/improving/modifying until we got what we wanted mostly because I didn’t have the cash for an SOP. I barely had enough cash for a 3 well sink so it was out of necessity. I would highly suggest anyone that has the cash and not the time to hit him up for an SOP. I can guarantee that I have spent more on payroll developing our own SOPs over the years than I would have purchasing his SOP.

9 Likes

I have purchased multiple SOPs from Dark City Molds. I have also had 2 custom molds designed by them as well. I have nothing but good things to say about them. E is an awesome dude and extremely professional. He understands business and has extreme knowledge in the candy industry. The money you will save is well worth what they charge for an SOP. I used to make gummies just like MillerLiteRN and had issues with molding and shit amazon molds that take forever to demold. You won’t need chemicals to prevent mold growth if you make candy correctly. It’s not a cheap business to get into if you want to be efficient. Water activity meter, rose pro molds, and the SOP are not cheap. If you want cheap stick to Amazon and home gummy recipes. You want to learn the science behind the hydrocolloid structure and how it works so you can tweak your own recipes for flavor and texture, then Dark City is the only one on the market. I began working with him almost two years ago and six figures is an easy goal. 7 figures is a real goal. Proof is in the Dark City. And couldn’t say enough about the quality of their molds. Ask Kriss Harvey, professional and award winning pastry chef and chocolate, he claims best molds he has ever used. Keep up the hard work E!

5 Likes

Got the Pectin SOP as I already have a reliable workflow for gelatin and needed an option to appeal to those who don’t eat gelatin, specifically vegans. The owner is extremely responsive with any questions and the level of support you get with the SOP really nice. Pretty simple once you do a couple of runs and get your crucial points down. Pairing it with high quality molds will do crazy things for your workflow and allow you to produce at scale. Like the fact that you can customize the recipe to your liking quite a bit via flavors/additions and the gummies still hold quite well. DCM occasionally offers sales and I would say when you catch one, go ahead and scoop it up.

5 Likes

I’ve been running the DCM Pectin SOP for several years now. It’s definitely a complete package. Everything you need to get started plus a lot more than you’d expect. Running these recipes in Rose Pro molds is absolutely the gold standard in the industry. Also when you buy DCM, you’re getting more than just an SOP and molds. It’s really like joing a gummy gang.

4 Likes

We have never paid for any sop. Created everything from scratch. Gummies, all the issues ive seen people say they have, we’ve nvr had any of those issues. Nvr moldy, nvr dont set right etc. Lollipops no issues. Took 2 runs though. All our chocolate products, nvr any issues. People must make it more than what it is.

2 Likes

Hell yeah. That’s awesome.

3 Likes

Key words tonight ‘commercial’. Maybe one day ill even smoke weed that wasnt hand trimmed. Even gummies became commercialized. We’ll keep doin what we’re doin. Look for Us, we sponsor many pro boxers. :boxing_glove:

1 Like

Mate, I don’t understand what you are on about. If you’re actually using the mats, the cost comes out to thousandths of a penny per gummy.

You could put this time & energy into serving your own customers better & earning higher premiums yourself — sky is the limit.

There’s a floor to how much you can save if beating vendors up is how you choose to spend your time & energy. Granted, it takes a lot less courage than putting time & energy into pursuing higher sales & better margins.

Personally, I want my vendors staying in business — there for me when I need them. Ideally they do much better than just staying in business if the product & service are as good as reported for DCM here.

10 Likes

OP, it all boils down to… give me a FUCKING sample… that’s exactly where @darkcitymolds lost me years ago… we have his pectin SOP… and we dont use it… it doesn’t go well with pour and scrape…

IF I CANT GIVE YOU A SAMPLE OF WHAT YOU ARE BUYING… IS IT WORTH THE risk?

3 Likes

Incredibly vague… care to throw a teaser at least?

2 Likes

Hes probably trying to design a machine to pop the thick silicone molds

It wouldn’t be hard to do but it still would be more expensive then a pneumatic popper

False. Hundreds of operations flood and scrape our pectin SOP. It’s the preferred method.

3 Likes

Just because you have a good SOP doesn’t mean you gotta go bashing the man and his business. I just see no need in it. Live and let live brother.

9 Likes

Dark City has helped thousands get in the gummy game and literally gave @MillerliteRN props in his first post and dude responds by vomiting all over the thread like everyone doesn’t know he’s biased offering his own consulting. Grow up.

And I can say with firsthand experience that the DCM sop works great for flood and scrape so that part is a lie too

5 Likes

Not sure about the dark city SOP our gummy guy has cannabis cup 1st place medals so I leave him and his SOP alone, guy can pump out gummies, he had us purchase the dark city molds, they are super high quality and work great.

5 Likes