Would an ultrasonic cleaning bath work as an ultrasonic extractor?

looks like more “junk” to me…might be useful bioactives.
might be poisonous.

can’t tell from provided data

Edit: I know for a fact that what they call “junk DNA” is not. Got my PhD on that premise…

1 Like

Thanks for looking the paper over, I’m definitely not a PhD, so it’s nice to get an expert opinion on this.

I made a post about filling a bath up with ball bearing as using it to dewax… still. Crazy idea?

1 Like

right, but the trichomes don’t need much to open them, and opening all the other containers that don’t contain the goodies, and dumping it all in one bucket doesn’t strike me as the right approach.

perform this trick after gathering trichomes, then show me that data…

1 Like

Freeze dried trim → mechanical sift → ultrasonic extraction in ethanol ? I like it, but if you’re already down to the point of a sifted product I’m not sure that you’d get a lot of value out of it.

this one?!?

edit: nope. third hit to Search results for '@rowan ball bearing' - Future4200

Personally, I’m a fan of using dual plate and frame heat exchangers. Run a chiller through one heat exchanger, pass your extract through it, the waxes plate out in the heat exchanger. Monitor your effluent for quality, and your differential pressure for plugging. Once you’ve fouled the first heat exchanger, switch over to the other and steam clean the first. It’s used in the processing of lactane.

1 Like

deliberately fouling ones heat exchangers is definitely a trick I had not considered :thinking:

1 Like

When I left the polymer field to the cannabis field, I spoke with our lead chemical engineer in the R&D department on means of winterization and that’s what he suggested.

1 Like

maybe we should wander over to @Rowan’s lonesome post if we’re gonna solve winterization :wink:

1 Like

haha true. my adhd is not conducive to focused forum posting lol.

I had a buddy who would fill FoodSaver bags with MCT oil and cannabis and then leave the bags in a heated ultrasonic bath (jewelry bath) and use the solution for edibles . He swore by it but we never ran analytics so that’s anecdotal at best, we tried the same method with etoh and pulled all sorts of u desirables, probably due to temp more than anything.

I’d say it was your solvent choice more than the temperature of extraction.

Ethanol will pull water solubles.
MCT will not.

1 Like

the biggest issue with ultrasonic extraction is that no traditional hemp or cannabis labs have been able to accurately test it. Anyone else run into this issue? Have a solution?

I doubt the problem is the labs.

What makes you think they are giving you inaccurate results?

What sort of cleanup have you performed on your extracts?

1 Like

I believe the issue is nanoemulsion at some scale. Water solubility was one of the potential perks that lead me into researching ultrasonic extraction.

I ran ultrasonic extraction and it works fine if you prepare the material and environment correctly. It does risk releasing additional cellular material but it can also rapidly extract.

2 Likes

Forgive the use of paint, but here’s my current R&D project. If anyone has the knowledge base to calculate wave propagation through fluid and solid mediums, you could save me a lot trial and error heh.

Edit: Ethanol and Biomass chilled to -80, oil heater maintaining temperature around the probe above the minimum to prevent brittle fracture.

1 Like

Wish I could try this but,

I bet this technology would work really well for the guys running ice water making SHO…

Whole nug, bubble bags, the whole 9, just like they are now.

Tune the frequency to be below the point of breaking cell walls, but high enough to break the trichomes open.

Definitely needs some R&D and tuning.
Anybody try this?

This just belongs so many other places (as well)

Adding links to tricks of the trade

& winterization

1 Like