EtOH Filtration - A Big Ol Post

definitely not a single filtration method is best for all but Buchner could do it all.

1 Like

After you chill your crude solution you have to give it time to nucleate and grow the wax particles to a sizer that can be filtered.
At dry ice temps I typically let things rest overnight for convenience.
I have read that as little as two hours is sufficient.
Anybody have data?

3 Likes

Phil what are your thoughts on using plate and frame hx for dewaxing?

1 Like

I think the space between plates is a perfect place to clog up your flow with fats. So, not ideal.

3 Likes

Yeah, I use a pressurized plate and frame filter for winterization/dewaxing right now and clogging with waxes and fats is an issue. The only way to avoid the flow issue for the most part is smaller batches, rinsing thoroughly with ethanol, then waiting ages for the pump to slowly pick back up again. Using an increase in pressure to help the flow is like walking a tightrope trying not to tear the filter papers.

@TheGratefulPhil @Cannada

3 Likes

Usually do a carbon and a bleaching earth in the same step.

I think I’m picking up what you’re putting down here. I’m currently using Summit’s PIG filter, you’re recommending a second one set up parallel and a three way valve to switch when it fouls?

1 Like

Yup, use differential pressure as your control factor for fouling. At some point before you fully plug your dewaxing efficiency will drop below a desirable level because the available surface area for plating will reduce. Once you dial in an optimal d/p you’ll be able to hot swap to the other filter and clean/change the first.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea man, thanks for sharing! Now I just gotta talk my boss into getting a second one. We winterize 15kg of resin at a time so that would make a huge difference.

1 Like

Centrifuge with a 1 micron screen is gonna beat anything IMO. Loads of surface area. Relatively easy to clean. Super fast.

7 Likes

You gotta link for material?

…and currently stuck at border crossing… :frowning:

4 Likes

The centrifuge or the screen? Reason I’m curious Bc they maybe looking for a CRN on each part of the equipment.

Fuge. They were looking for $$. It should be heading my way soon.

1 Like

@cyclopath that makes sense. When i was up there a few weeks ago i heard through the grapevine they had some major L taken while i was there. They were using similar equipment.

So funny Canadian “fact” they have a dog that can smell only $10,000 and more cash lmao

1 Like

I’ve bout settled on this as a final design. I love my bag filters and I want the added benefit of media-embedded filtration to get rid of some color.

Thinking about adding a heat exchanger between the last two valves between lenticular filter and the second bag filter to improve adsorption in the lenticular.

Anyone got some thoughts?

2 Likes

Starting straight from the centrifuge ?
The best color remediation on etho crude is achieved with bentonite t5 and AC
Wonder where t5 could be implemented

@Shadownaught had been discussing in the fall they might be producing lenticular filters impregnated with bentonite soon. Maybe they’ve gotten closer?

I definitely like the idea of a heat exchanger to take advantage of the increased efficiency of adsorbents at higher temperatures.

2 Likes

I should have included the tank.

The centrifuge and this filter cascade are connected to a jacketed tank. So feed from centrifuge to tank, rechill and send through filter.

1 Like