BULK WINTERIZATION thoughts

I can confirm that. I’ve had a bucket of HOT crude from a rotovap explode as it decarbed in the bucket. got it off the scale and cement with dry-ice and a chisel

Edit: actually at -80 it was a hair more fragile than a brick. :rofl:

3 Likes

stirring in the largest conical fermenter that will fit in your freezer? or recirculation with a pump that will take that abuse (we’ve explored those right?).

then let settle once freezer get back to temp (I’d suggest 24 hrs, but to taste works for me).

use racking arm to decant the majority of tincture to speed filtration.

filter using a centrifuge for bonus points.

edit: @TheOilMan: I’ve seen two conical fermenters, six kegs, and a 55 gal drum in -80 freezers to address this (my last -80 fit three 15 gal kegs and a couple of 7.5gal kegs). they simply don’t get your solvent down to temp in the time range you’re proposing. even with their compressors nailed in the on position (like the -40C rig I set at -45 and left that way for years).

2 Likes

As @cyclopath and others have been saying, cooling that much liquid mass using very cold air is a losing proposition because the air just doesn’t have enough mass. You could pump in a circle through a radiator with a fan blowing over it in your walk in but that would still be ineffective and is clearly as much work as directly exchanging with a chilled/refrigeration system using something like a plate heat exchanger. And, ultimately none of this fixes your need for the solution to sit for hours so the fat can precipitate. @thesk8nmidget has the real ticket for removing fat at scale.

4 Likes

stanless steel buckets not bad idea any other crazy ideas for bulk winterization, we extract at 91 f
but my only production problem is the winterization and we run it through winterzation process until there are no epic. then we do our scrub for any small particals in the solution. idk maybey it is what it is.

1 Like

What is this “epic” you speak of repeatedly?

3 Likes

Maybe look here…

I was told that no epic is just a short term for fats, lipids, chlorophyll, undesirables. (No Epic) theres a better word for it but I dont remeber what the word is off top of my head. sorry if I be saying stuff that dont make sense.

Never seen it. Even with your explanation, I can’t get the G-rated confirmation bias machine to confirm. Least not in 60 sec. any chance you’ve got a source for that definition?

When winterizing, you’re only pulling down fats and waxes (maybe some cannabinoids if you get it wrong).

Explicitly stating “no fats and waxes” or just “no precipitation” (or ppt.) is standard around here.

Nah. Just trying to make sure everyone is on the same page. New vocab is awesome…but having a source we can point to is critical so we don’t get nonsense incorporated as well (that would never happen in cannabis…)

1 Like

Pre chilling 80% if your ethanol then adding a crude/ethanol warm speeds up the freezing time still would go for a chiller or RO

Its just something I was taught or told, just on here to learn and interact but just cause its something you cant find or know dosen’t mean its non sense, everyone has different knowledge. but if y’all know the terms as “no precipitation” then that’s what y’all know. and I explained it pretty fairly though sooooo. sorry if my information is “not standard” grains of salt everyone.

Totally agree.

Just hoping you could provide a source.

You know…taught in grad school vs overheard in the crack house across the street

2 Likes

never been in a crack house… funny though. If I could give you a legit source for the term I would. I just wanna say that I have no idea what I am doing if that makes people feel better. only 20 years old.

3 Likes

mxd process offers tri clamp mount mixers explosion proof with vfd for around 4k. they are our go to for agitation. 3 phase motors into a single phase inverter in the vfd plugs into a 110v wall socket with 3 amps power consumption

4 Likes

Thats all good man, everyone here started with limited knowledge and have learned a crap ton of very useful info on this site. if you have the time spend it reading on here, search terms that you are interested in and read threads start to finish. Take notes and figure out what seems like it will work and give it a shot! once you get stumped read more, until you can no longer find the answers you seek. Then start asking specific questions to those experiments.

4 Likes

I hear they’re over rated

3 Likes

Even the crack sucks! Its usually cut with d8… shit doesnt even get you high.

7 Likes

been on future 4200 for 2 years now just didnt make a account the community on here is wish washy

1 Like

So, has anyone tried a Cryodax 60X yet?

Has more cooling capacity at -80°C (11KW) than a Huber 950W (10KW). That 950W is hitting around $450K. What’s the scoop on the 60X?

1 Like

Off the top of my head, I bet the 60X is cheaper. Probably by a LOT.

Other than that, I think one says Mydax on it and has Cryodax software, and the other says Huber on it and uses Pilot One.

Last time I talked to Mydax they had non-zero lead times. I have idea if that’s still the case or not.

How are you guys doing mass dewax at your big operation? meoh?