Winterization

Im sure raschig rings will work just fine. ive used them in alcohol distillation. For powder rejection the head key from summit works great. the powders usually hit the first couple of protrusions and fall back down. Ive seen them used that way many times.

2 Likes

To avoid powders i use fiberglass wool
With great succes yust a cottonball size

2 Likes

Did you ever have any success with this in your biotage system?

Any thoughts on using aluminum hydroxide as a filter cake?

folks are certainly using Aluminum Oxide.

https://future4200.com/search?q=aluminum+oxide

haven’t heard tell of anyone using Aluminum Hydroxide.

1 Like

I can’t get aluminum oxide anywhere near me and had an unexpected free afternoon so I made some aluminum hydroxide. I don’t have a forge so I can’t make it into oxide.

It was a fun little project. Maybe I’ll make some rubies with it. Or just make a furnace.

2 Likes

It s sandblasting material
Not even that can be found near ?

1 Like

I have 2x 1/2gallon mason jars with aluminum oxide 180 grit if your in need I can ship some out.

4 Likes

Hey that’s very kind of you, @Demontrich. I only really need enough to make a few cakes for now. Then if it works I can just order a big sack for future use.

@Roguelab, yep. I’m aware that it’s a sandblasting material, and am pretty familiar with all the supply stores in my area. I thought it was strange too.

2 Likes

Dm me an addy

Do you need a zip lock sandwich bag volume or more.

Iirc I got mine from ebay. 180 grit aluminum oxide

2 Likes

Cool, will do. A ziplock should do the trick.

2 Likes

:weary: tough luck :+1:

possible to run chilled winterized solution via ethanol pump through our filtration skid with cartridge filters starting at 100 micron stepping down to 1 micron? what micron will the vast majority of these fats be caught in?

1 Like

The 1um

Yes. Probably between 10 and 1UM.

I find that most of the shattered trich heads end up in my 10um and my fats between 10um and 5um.

Usually my 0.5um bags are clean

3 Likes

new to using silica can you walk me through how to make silica slurry? and what kinda filter should be used? next question is during the adsorbent scrubbing the 5% total material of cbleach added to the boiling material 5% of alcohol /oil mix or 5% of starting oil? and is this run through the same type of silica slurry filler?

How critical is the amount of silica used in the filter bed for both winterizing and the pre-first pass absorbent scrub? I am interested in learning how much silica should be used per unit of product to be filtered.

Would you be aware of literature that explains the mechanism of how silica is performing the filtration?

Silica I would not recomend for winterization
For any filteraid or powder get s you clean from fats
As for color silica works with the right solvent
But again so do bentonites and other natural clays
Main isseu I have with silica the damn dust passes treu more often than expected so care must be taken

2 Likes

Is the Ali oxide just filtered over a fritted Buchner, if so what micron? Never used powders when filtering but really think its about time.

Yeah, that’s thrice. But it really is a trick worth knowing imo

This just belongs so many other places (as well)

Adding links to tricks of the trade

& winterization

5 Likes